Toss and Spin the Rifles. Don't shoot 'em.

I know this has been discussed before but given current events, and the proximity said current events are to me (I live in Oregon) I just couldn't help but come to this forum and see if a thread was circulating about this most recent mass shooting.

These mass shooters are mostly young, white males. Full of angst, obsessed with gun violence, mentally off-balance (obviously) or worse, eager for the spotlight, to stand for something, to matter, there is often a social media trail that precedes these heinous acts (as there is this time). The social media often reveals clues about what is going on in the shooter's mind (as it does this time).

We all know drum corps builds character. More than that, could it set someone like this recent Umpqua Community College shooter on a better path? My own son's work ethic, his sense of loyalty and belonging was so shaped by drum corps I have no doubt he is who he is having experienced the marching arts.

There seems to be such a need in young men to prove themselves, prove their masculinity, prove that they stand for something, prove that they matter.

I know drum corps is no panacea for mental illness but it certainly can't hurt a kid's development, and it just might steer a kid at risk in a better direction.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

No doubt you are correct. One important aspect of life in general is parents getting kids involved in ANY activity, socialization and finding something they have interest in. I don't know the first thing about the young man in this latest violent outburst, but drum corps is one of myriad activities that could help so many kids on multiple levels.

Back in the 50's & 60's, some kids who marched had no choice. Either you followed the priests/managers suggestion, or the next time the cops got you for doing something illegal, you're on your own. With our countries 300+ million population, asserted freedom of choice, and somewhat weaker family value's, it's going to be tough to force anyone to do what they don't want to do. Students who punch teachers are let off. Those with mental issues are sometimes not found out or just ignored. Look, Illinois has strong gun laws, but they're not enforced. Let the President address his city where he was a community leader where many of these shootings have taken place even while he was there. http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/09/chicago-shooting-record-year/408070/

(Side note: The DCP honcho's try to keep everyone clear of politics, so this thread might have a short shelf life.)

You said "Most mass shooters are young white males." Gang crime? Crime in Chicago? Crime by terrorists? It seems to me shootings aren't just limited to young, white males...but evil is colorblind. Lack of respect for human life is colorblind. One race does not own the practice of making bad choices.

Certainly, we need more young men in activities which promote true masculinity. Drum corps can be that activity, but we can't pretend like activity like drum corps is the "answer" to fixing a problem of evil and mentally ill crazies that go on these mass sprees. The mentally ill person who committed this shooting in Oregon specifically targeted Christians. Why not stop the attacks of Christians and people of faith in our country?

Edited by chris7997

My heart and prayers go out to all of those in Oregon and elsewhere who have to deal with such tragedies, some caused by individuals, others like the climate in "Chi-raq," others caught unaware like Shanksville, PA and all at 9/11.

Newtown, CT is but up the road less than ten miles from where I once lived. For many years the schools there have fielded excellent color guards and bands, some whose members summered in DCI, some who wintered in WGI. Several have gone on to instruct and judge some of the most notable units of our activity.

Perhaps because of all the travelling we do in the marching arts, our awareness of these various places in our nation is fuller. Whether we competed there, over-nighted in the gym, or simply seen the highway sign with the name as we passed by in the wee hours, these news reports touch us deeply. More aware, hopefully we don't grow more callous but more motivated to improve life, self, and with us, others.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Got Nickel Mines school about an hour away (9 years ago today)... Always thought the biggest thing Senior corps did for me was to expose me to people who had different live experiences.. or were just "different" :tounge2: Ended up going outside the 50 states for work at times and never gave the different lands/different cultures a second thought.. or even a first thought. One of the biggest compliments I got was when I was asked to return to one of these places to give training. Found out it wasn't because I was a great teacher, it was because they felt at ease with me.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

My heart and prayers go out to all of those in Oregon and elsewhere who have to deal with such tragedies, some caused by individuals, others like the climate in "Chi-raq," others caught unaware like Shanksville, PA and all at 9/11.

Newtown, CT is but up the road less than ten miles from where I once lived. For many years the schools there have fielded excellent color guards and bands, some whose members summered in DCI, some who wintered in WGI. Several have gone on to instruct and judge some of the most notable units of our activity.

Perhaps because of all the travelling we do in the marching arts, our awareness of these various places in our nation is fuller. Whether we competed there, over-nighted in the gym, or simply seen the highway sign with the name as we passed by in the wee hours, these new reports touch us deeply. More aware, hopefully we don't grow more callous but more motivated to improve life, self, and with us, others.

Amen, Sir.

You said "Most mass shooters are young white males." Gang crime? Crime in Chicago? Crime by terrorists? It seems to me shootings aren't just limited to young, white males...but evil is colorblind. Lack of respect for human life is colorblind. One race does not own the practice of making bad choices.

Certainly, we need more young men in activities which promote true masculinity. Drum corps can be that activity, but we can't pretend like activity like drum corps is the "answer" to fixing a problem of evil and mentally ill crazies that go on these mass sprees. The mentally ill person who committed this shooting in Oregon specifically targeted Christians. Why not stop the attacks of Christians and people of faith in our country?

To your first point, I am specifically speaking of the type of mass shooter who is American, targets public places and kills randomly, usually leaving a social media trace and a long list of red flag behaviors. In no way am I saying only young white males kill.

To your second and third points (in reverse order), I don't believe this was an attack against Christians per se. He also shot people who said they weren't Christians - but in the leg. While I respect your concern that people of faith are being targeted, I am not seeing that as any sort of true motivation in this event. I think it was something convenient that the shooter could be angry about in the moment and use as a scapegoat - but this could have been any group, any culture, any religion. He is also being linked via social media to white supremacy and the IRA. None of it adds up. He was wacko and the reason he did this is immaterial to that fact. I wish the media would stop chasing the reasons why he did it. Why give him the satisfaction of the public knowing his motivation?

There is no explaining a heinous act like this! No reason is sufficient.

I hope my post was clear in stating that I am not trying to imply that drum corps could have saved him, only that perhaps it could help steer another at-risk kid onto a better path.

Any organized activity that promotes society-friendly behaviors could do the same.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2

(Side note: The DCP honcho's try to keep everyone clear of politics, so this thread might have a short shelf life.)

I certainly hope that talking about how drum corps might be of value to at-risk kids is not political.