Don Quinn - R.I.P.

Though small in stature, Don Quinn was a GIANT among snare drummers. He got his start with St. Anselm's Fife, Drum and Bugle Corps in the Bronx. He then went on to the New York Skyliners in 1958. During his competing years, he won numerous individual titles around the tri-state area of NY, NJ and CT. He taught many junior corps drummers for quite a few years and many of his students went on to become members of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. Playing under Eric Perrilloux's tutelage, he was a sponge for Eric's techniques and arranging style, which he then passed on to hundreds, if not thousands, of beginning and some accomplished drummers as well.

He also judged many drum corps shows in the NE for many years and was very much respected.

He retired from the U.S. Naval Reserve as a Chief Petty Officer with over 20 years on active duty. Much of that time was also spent as a member of the Skyliners drum line. He drummed a few years with the Skyliners Alumni corps, before moving from his home in New Haven to Rochester, NY to be near his daughters and grandchildren.

His health had been failing these last few years, but, tough old bird that he was, he fought the good fight.

Funeral arrangements are still being worked out, but he will be buried in his Navy Dress Blues, sometime late next week, with full military honors in the National Cemetery in Farmingdale, NY, next to his son, Kevin, who died in infancy some 40 years ago. Don was also a member of Garbarina-Mazarakos Post #1523 of the American Legion.

I will post the viewing and funeral details when I get them from his wife, Kathy.

Sincere condolences to Kathy, his daughters, Gina and Janis, his sons-in-law, his grandchildren and his entire family.

Rest in Peace, my good friend. You will be missed very much.

Ray

"The Mighty Quinn" ... I too was a corpsmate of Donnie in both Sky and the Alumni Corps ... he was an integral part of building St. Joe's Patron Cadets in to a powerhouse drumline that became The Brassmen ... always the target of a "Sir Short" joke in Sky, he took everything thrown at him with a grain of salt ... even the platform shoes he received at a Corps dinner one year ...

RIP Donnie

Though small in stature, Don Quinn was a GIANT among snare drummers. He got his start with St. Anselm's Fife, Drum and Bugle Corps in the Bronx. He then went on to the New York Skyliners in 1958. During his competing years, he won numerous individual titles around the tri-state area of NY, NJ and CT. He taught many junior corps drummers for quite a few years and many of his students went on to become members of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. Playing under Eric Perrilloux's tutelage, he was a sponge for Eric's techniques and arranging style, which he then passed on to hundreds, if not thousands, of beginning and some accomplished drummers as well.

He also judged many drum corps shows in the NE for many years and was very much respected.

He retired from the U.S. Naval Reserve as a Chief Petty Officer with over 20 years on active duty. Much of that time was also spent as a member of the Skyliners drum line. He drummed a few years with the Skyliners Alumni corps, before moving from his home in New Haven to Rochester, NY to be near his daughters and grandchildren.

His health had been failing these last few years, but, tough old bird that he was, he fought the good fight.

Funeral arrangements are still being worked out, but he will be buried in his Navy Dress Blues, sometime late next week, with full military honors in the National Cemetery in Farmingdale, NY, next to his son, Kevin, who died in infancy some 40 years ago. Don was also a member of Garbarina-Mazarakos Post #1523 of the American Legion.

I will post the viewing and funeral details when I get them from his wife, Kathy.

Sincere condolences to Kathy, his daughters, Gina and Janis, his sons-in-law, his grandchildren and his entire family.

Rest in Peace, my good friend. You will be missed very much.

Ray

• Like 1

I've already sent my best to Janis and the family, her mother, sister and all... The drum corps community has lost a warrior.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One by one they leave us. So as others have said. RIP Don. We will miss you.