Cadets2 2016

They really should get rid of the age limit this year. It doesn't look good on them, wish the rest of the DCA directors weren't so scared of Hopkins.

they should do what they feel is best for their corps

• Like 1

Comparing Mike D and Jim Costello :tounge2: Never met Jim C and only "talked" to Mike via DCP so :huh2:

As for Lefty he drove down from NYC to Central PA to give our reforming corps a pep talk. I didn't know anything about corps so in the middle of rehearsal we got chased outside to listen. There is a car with NY plates and someone inside. The door opens up, one leg comes out and then Leftys torso comes out... (wait a minute)..... then we see the crutches. Don't remember the talk, just remember thinking "This guy runs a (marching) Drum Corps with one leg? Must be one tough SOB". Later became a Sky fan because of that horn line and saw some things and still a fan....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

So ... I'm confused ... nothing new there ... :dontgetit: ... the OP stated the avg age of C2 is 16 ... what age limit are we talking about here? ... C2's own preference? ... wasn't this hashed out on DCP when they C2 formed?

Sorry ... just looking to understand what's being asked here ...

:-)

The age limit fits in perfectly with the stated aim of C2, and it fits perfectly within the rules of DCA, so how does it "not look good on them"? Why would the directors of DCA corps be scared of Hoppy? He happened to bring them a brand new Open class corps that helps the circuit survive in tough times.

I was having this talk with one of my friends and he was saying how it really isn't all age drum and bugle corps. I am very new to this activty but DCA is supposed to be all age and C2 isn't that. I understand that the main point of C2 is to give kids who cannot tour with cadets the cadet experience, but I still think that they should be open to all ages.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but it seems like a jealous wind of sour grapes given you have been posting your corps affiliation in DCA on other threads in the DCI forum. Prove it on the field.

Um...what do you mean by this, because I ask questions on the fourms? This was my first year in drum corps and I am trying to find out more about it.

I was having this talk with one of my friends and he was saying how it really isn't all age drum and bugle corps. I am very new to this activty but DCA is supposed to be all age and C2 isn't that. I understand that the main point of C2 is to give kids who cannot tour with cadets the cadet experience, but I still think that they should be open to all ages.

One could surmise the age limitations have more to do about strategy; inasmuch C2 is part of Yea and Yea is a "youth" organization---thus going beyond a certain age may jeopardize the status and mission statement (as a whole) of Yea. as a non profit youth organization.

Quick history lesson but All Age corps used to be called Senior corps (to go with the Junior corps). The Junior circuits set upper age limits for their competing corps. For the Senior corps the ages were set by the individual corps and usually went by how easy it was for the corps to get members. Top corps or ones that had Jr corps to draw age outs from nearby usually were age 21 and over. When my corps reformed and was scrambling for warm bodies went to HS age and over.

Over time DCA (only Sr circuit left) realized using the "Senior" term was hurting recruiting as corps had minors in the ranks. But calling them Sr made it sound that you had to be over 21 to join. So Sr was changed to All Age to avoid confusion. (Some non-competing corps are dropping "Alumni" in the name for the same reason as you don't need to be an ex-member to join.) But as before the individual corps can set their own age rules just like when they were called "Seniors"...

LOL change the name and different confusion.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Why should they change their age rules?

Is there a shortage of other corps in the Eastern PA/NJ to march for other than C2?

Our corps sets a 'lower age' (and I'm sure many other corps have had their own age rules in the fifty year history of DCA). Why should C2 not be allowed to have whatever membership they want? If somebody really wants to participate in the DCA activity there is no shortage of other corps to march with who would be glad to have them, it's not like every corps is maxed out on membership.

I haven't met anybody yet who can give me a reason other than, 'they're good and we don't like that', as if they opened the floodgates to all those 42 year olds who have been dying to march C2 over say, Bucs, Cabs, Fusion, etc., and the corps would get worse.

The activity is getting much, much younger and lots of people don't like that. Bending organizations by force of will isn't going to change the economics or dynamics of the activity.

they should do what they feel is best for their corps

Flag on the play.... illegal use of common sense.

15-yard penalty.... FIRST DOWN!!! :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

Is there any specific reason that you think they should remove their age limit? DCA has nothing in their mission statement about age.

• Like 1