Cadets2 2016

Color me confused. Wasn't it reported over the summer that C2 would be adopting the black uniforms Cadets1 wore in 2015? I feel like I even saw Hopkins quoted on these forums as saying that would give C2 their own distinctive look.

Not so much confused but presumptuous.

Nowhere has any Cadet official said that the black uniforms were being automatically adopted by C2 as identically worn by the Cadets, which as we know turned out to be a fail for visual intimacy.

The Cadets, Cadets2, and admin. of both have made no official pronouncements about what either corps will be specifically wearing for Season 2016.

Any speculating or imagining is presumptuous. Wait and see.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I know I didn't make up the part about C2 adopting the black uniforms and was just inquiring (neither speculating nor imagining) about what I read here, so it wasn't me being presumptuous. Therefore I think "confused" is the better adjective.

Here's why I'm confused. In this thread from a few weeks ago, I see sagemode67 writing of Cadets2, "They have said that they will be getting a new style of uniform this year. I hope it's nothing too drastic. Really liked this years show too" and Kamarag replying, "No, it's not drastic at all. You'll hardly notice any difference" (which, it belatedly occurs to me, could be sarcastic). But earlier this year, I read the following. Much of it is not official, but almost all of it at least refers to things that Cadets staff said or posted.

StuStu, July 23: "I just saw an announcement that Cadets 2 will be getting different uniforms next year, with a new look." (Source)

YEA.org website, July 23: "For 2016, Cadets2, will have their own look … yes, like the Cadets, but the colors, and perhaps some of the detailing will be changed a bit as C2 creates their own image, their own ensemble, and their own legacy." (Source)

TroopAlum, July 24: "The plot thickens: this morning, GH copied the original post from this thread and posted it on his Facebook, asking fans and alumni there for their opinions. He then posted a response to how the corps can change their look mid season and pay for it, and said 'these new uniforms will only be used for 7 performances' before being passed to C2 next season." (Source)

George Dixon, Aug. 1: "The underlying reason of the switch for the last ten days is that cadets 2 needed their own identity and brand. A darker and modern version of the traditional cadet uniform suits them well, suites DCA and the darker bibs will help cadets 2 visually. These uniforms will transfer to them after finals" (Source)

Kamarag, Aug. 1: "The more I read that, and the more I think about Hop's post on the subject, the funnier it gets (their explanation, not you making it)." (Source)

JoeDz, Aug. 9: "According to the plan announced before the black uniforms even arrived, they were to be used for the remainder of the season only, and then turned over to Cadets2 as a part of their unique identity. The black will be less hurtful at DCA sub-226bpm..... The question of whether or not they actually "hurt" Cadets is not answered in my mind......" (Source)

Tobias, Sep. 7: "I think they will be black next year. All those new uniforms only used a few times, plus the white ones are a few years old" (Source)

George Dixon, Sep. 7, 2015: "2. No - they will be in the black. The new uniforms were bought for them and the old ones are hand-me-downs and, frankly, worn out" (Source)

And as I typed this, I noticed that Eleran in reply to you here had copied from the YEA.org website a post* which says that Cadets could afford to go to all-black uniforms either by passing them to C2 or by selling them.

Again, while refraining from either speculation or imagination, I am simply curious as to whether all of the above can be reconciled.

*On a side note, that's a pretty interesting post for anyone curious about details of what it costs to run a corps. Besides information on the uniform expense, it indicates, for instance, that a set of props like the towers in 2013 or the stage in 2014 costs more than $10,000. (I note this not as any sort of complain, but merely as useful data.)

I liked the Black tops, but the bib pants muddied the picture. If they did black tops with cream pants, that would be pretty slick.

• Like 1

I liked the Black tops, but the bib pants muddied the picture. If they did black tops with cream pants, that would be pretty slick.

I like the current C2 uniforms quite a bit. They really stand out under the lights.

• Like 4

OK, thanks for the clarification. I know I didn't make up the part about C2 adopting the black uniforms and was just inquiring (neither speculating nor imagining) about what I read here, so it wasn't me being presumptuous. Therefore I think "confused" is the better adjective.

Here's why I'm confused. In this thread from a few weeks ago, I see sagemode67 writing of Cadets2, "They have said that they will be getting a new style of uniform this year. I hope it's nothing too drastic. Really liked this years show too" and Kamarag replying, "No, it's not drastic at all. You'll hardly notice any difference" (which, it belatedly occurs to me, could be sarcastic). But earlier this year, I read the following. Much of it is not official, but almost all of it at least refers to things that Cadets staff said or posted.

StuStu, July 23: "I just saw an announcement that Cadets 2 will be getting different uniforms next year, with a new look." (Source)

YEA.org website, July 23: "For 2016, Cadets2, will have their own look … yes, like the Cadets, but the colors, and perhaps some of the detailing will be changed a bit as C2 creates their own image, their own ensemble, and their own legacy." (Source)

TroopAlum, July 24: "The plot thickens: this morning, GH copied the original post from this thread and posted it on his Facebook, asking fans and alumni there for their opinions. He then posted a response to how the corps can change their look mid season and pay for it, and said 'these new uniforms will only be used for 7 performances' before being passed to C2 next season." (Source)

George Dixon, Aug. 1: "The underlying reason of the switch for the last ten days is that cadets 2 needed their own identity and brand. A darker and modern version of the traditional cadet uniform suits them well, suites DCA and the darker bibs will help cadets 2 visually. These uniforms will transfer to them after finals" (Source)

Kamarag, Aug. 1: "The more I read that, and the more I think about Hop's post on the subject, the funnier it gets (their explanation, not you making it)." (Source)

JoeDz, Aug. 9: "According to the plan announced before the black uniforms even arrived, they were to be used for the remainder of the season only, and then turned over to Cadets2 as a part of their unique identity. The black will be less hurtful at DCA sub-226bpm..... The question of whether or not they actually "hurt" Cadets is not answered in my mind......" (Source)

Tobias, Sep. 7: "I think they will be black next year. All those new uniforms only used a few times, plus the white ones are a few years old" (Source)

George Dixon, Sep. 7, 2015: "2. No - they will be in the black. The new uniforms were bought for them and the old ones are hand-me-downs and, frankly, worn out" (Source)

And as I typed this, I noticed that Eleran in reply to you here had copied from the YEA.org website a post* which says that Cadets could afford to go to all-black uniforms either by passing them to C2 or by selling them.

Again, while refraining from either speculation or imagination, I am simply curious as to whether all of the above can be reconciled.

*On a side note, that's a pretty interesting post for anyone curious about details of what it costs to run a corps. Besides information on the uniform expense, it indicates, for instance, that a set of props like the towers in 2013 or the stage in 2014 costs more than $10,000. (I note this not as any sort of complain, but merely as useful data.)

As I read through your research I note that almost every comment made is before the DCI week where Cadets woefully wore the black and suffered in the captions because of the deadening of visual dynamics and general effect, meaning they got no boost conrary to anticipations. Tobias and George Dixon are not and have never been on the staff or faculty of either C1 or C2.

It would reasonably be presumed that the admin of C2 would re-evaluate the effectiveness of such uniforms coming to their corps w/o tweeks.

Your discussion is really a First World problem; others at Thanksgiving are more concerned with sufficient health and nutrition, roof overhead, peace, and safety. http://wtnh.com/2015/11/25/thousands-in-washington-to-spend-thanksgiving-in-dark-cold/

Have a nice one everybody.

Edited by xandandl

One could surmise the age limitations have more to do about strategy; inasmuch C2 is part of Yea and Yea is a "youth" organization---thus going beyond a certain age may jeopardize the status and mission statement (as a whole) of Yea. as a non profit youth organization.

#### you using logic

One could surmise the age limitations have more to do about strategy; inasmuch C2 is part of Yea and Yea is a "youth" organization---thus going beyond a certain age may jeopardize the status and mission statement (as a whole) of Yea. as a non profit youth organization.

This.

Or silver pants and sash. Would have been great but still my preference is the maroon, cream and gold.

George Hopkins open letter:

"The Cadets' uniform color change will last for seven performances only, and we have two options this year. The uniforms used for these seven shows will:

• Be passed on to Cadets2, which has never has their own set of uniforms. They will last at least five years, as C2 only performs on the weekends. When the cost is spread over those five years, the total cost to YEA! is probably $6,000.
  • Be sold for more than we paid for the set. This income would go to replenishing uniforms for both The Cadets and Cadets2."

I like option B, I don't think the black uniforms look good in general. I am not opposed to the black ones if it is only way for them to get new uniforms but it would nice to see C2 put out an original design made just for them.

When Bushwackers won their first titles in DCA, and for several years following, I remember their average age was somewhere like 19-20...and they certainly didn't have the market cornered on that age group by any means. Seeing that a large number of performers use DCA as a "stepping stone" to prepare them to march in DCI corps, it shouldn't be surprising at all. Look under the unis when you watch DCA corps next season. While I personally don't agree with a hard and fast "rule" within a corps limiting the maximum age, as C. Holland said it's their group, it's not against the present rules so they can run it as they desire.

Wrong, while the overall age group was somewhat younger, most of the corps was adults, I'd say mid 20's to late avg might be more like it. And yes I was there

• Like 3

Wrong, while the overall age group was somewhat younger, most of the corps was adults, I'd say mid 20's to late avg might be more like it. And yes I was there

how can a group be young, but yet mostly adults? what classifies as young? under 18? under 22?