Next big thing in drum corps shows

Yes, and they show how well they know the over-50 American crowd with their selections of K-pop, The Cherry Poppin' Daddies, and original Gordon Goodwin pieces, all of which are safe and recognizable. :tounge2:

Yes, basically the music selected by the perennial Corps at the top of DCI is just a secondary level accompaniment to the all important Visual/ Guard program anyway. BD, for example, can play anything.. from gaming music, to Dionne Warwick to Cherry Poppin Daddies, etc.. and it really doesn't matter at all, if we are honest about it. Talent allows you to play any music genre, songs you want and place well. DCI Corps at the top can even play " Jingle Bells " if they want and place well. This is not guesswork either, as we all know this on here to be true as well.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

This year's show from the tiny* high school marching band from Ada, OH has a Pac-Man theme. The whole thing is staged on a large tarp made up as the video game's maze. I saw it twice and thought it was a cute idea with a decent design, but they never got it clean enough to qualify for OMEA state finals. They will be performing it at BoA Grand Nationals later this week.

*That would be 35 members, including the guard. The smallest band I saw this year was Wellington, with just 21 members (no guard, except for the musician who swapped her instrument for a flag to add some G.E. to the last 30 sec. of the show), who outperformed a number of much larger groups, including two bands ten times their size.

• Like 1

The next big thing in DCI will be happen within the Visual/ Guard realm, imo...... not in the DCI future " Gaming Music " realm.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Amplified tap dancing for percussion. Just saw Riverdance and it would it awesome to hear some amplified tap dancing.

Phantom 2005 and Academy 2015 had pit members use tap shoes as percussion instruments for their movie-inspired shows (not totally sure if it was amplified, but close enough).

If you're referring to actual tap dancers, I know Madison had a fandango-ish guard feature in 1995, but obviously, there was no amplification back then, so I don't think that counts.

Bluecoats have expanded the DCI horizon by the creative use of new Sound.

But Light will be the next big thing happening in DCI shows. SCV's foray into the realm of Light on their unis at finals this past August is the harbinger of things to come that I predicted here on DCP a few years back.

Thats my story, and I'm stickin' to it., Get ready for the Lights. Cadets missed the boat with their Christmas themed show in 2012, as the use of creative lighting.. perfect for that themed show... probably could've catapulted that show right into a Championship, imo. ( as could have Phantom's " Into the Light " themed 2010 show as well, imo. )

Edited by BRASSO

Bluecoats have expanded the DCI horizon by the creative use of new Sound.

But Light will be the next big thing happening in DCI shows. SCV's foray into the realm of Light on their unis at finals this past August is the harbinger of things to come that I predicted here on DCP a few years back.

Thats my story, and I'm stickin' to it., Get ready for the Lights. Cadets missed the boat with their Christmas themed show in 2012, as the use of creative lighting.. perfect for that themed show... probably could've catapulted that show right into a Championship, imo. ( as could have Phantom's " Into the Light " themed 2010 show as well, imo. )

If corps could get complete control over lighting at all venues (imagine a completely blacked out LOS on finals night), I would be inclined to agree. However, I don't see that happening ever, so most effects involving light will tend to be on the more shallow side. While Vanguard's lights were a neat addition, it didn't do much for me personally that their show wasn't doing already.

Light will be the next big thing happening in DCI shows. SCV's foray into the realm of Light on their unis at finals this past August is the harbinger of things to come that I predicted here on DCP a few years back. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it., Get ready for the Lights. Cadets missed the boat with their Christmas themed show in 2012, as the use of creative lighting.. perfect for that themed show... probably could've catapulted that show right into a Championship, imo. ( as could have Phantom's " Into the Light " themed 2010 show as well, imo. )

In addition to what Shempy says, I think this element has the potential to grow stale quickly. Lights were used in multiple marching band shows I saw this fall, and it got to be repetitive and tiresome.

Amplified tap dancing for percussion. Just saw Riverdance and it would it awesome to hear some amplified tap dancing.

My alma mater's band did a "Lord of the Dance" show about ten years ago. At one point, the guard brought out 20 low wooden platforms, upon which they did a step dance routine. Pretty clean footwork, though not amplified, was audible well up into the stands.

I remember the Gregory Hines movie Tap, from the late 1980s, featured amplified tap shoes.

I'd been waiting for the LED's to show up in drum corps. Honestly, I expected them two years ago, when college drumlines were using them all over.

In a similar yet related point, there was also a rumor all the way back in 2008 that The Cadets were looking at Roland marching electronic drums. I'm surprised that in the 7 years since nobody's tried them.

Mike

• Like 1