Next big thing in drum corps shows

In addition to what Shempy says, I think this element has the potential to grow stale quickly. Lights were used in multiple marching band shows I saw this fall, and it got to be repetitive and tiresome.

Maybe.. but maybe not. Utilizing repretitive things done before in the scholastic marching band world, has never stopped DCI Corps before, so I would not be no sure about this. Corps have even brought back shows, themes, music, marching moves, etc they've done themselves previously before, and in some cases its actually won them a DCI Title too on that rinse & repeat cycle of theirs.

But yes, I do recognize the logistical obstacles that the use of lighting presents, particularly in an outdoor setting , and thus would be a bit of a challenge as a result. But not an insurmountable challenge, and its not stopped the Scholastic Bands, as we know.. I've also not yet heard the criticism that the use of artificially created sound effects might become" tiresome" any time soon either. So who knows on the Lights. We'll see. But I'm sticking to my predictions that Lighting Effects will be the next big thing In DCI Drum Corps after the Sound Effects thing we are getting now runs its course.

Edited by BRASSO

Ok,

One time at not-band camp, the designers discussed how to increase the impact of GE and move the judges and audience with surprises and more excitement during Championships week.

The result was rolls and rolls of toilet paper descending from the upper decks upon the spectators as the Phantom Regiment ended the 1812 Overture by tossing streamers from the cuffs of their pants and into the air to mimic fireworks.

AND THE CROWD WENT WILD!

Fast forward to 2009 and the crowd shouts "I am Spartacus!!" while corps members on the field (or phield) do the same. Some phans even wore centurion helmets.

AND THE CROWD WENT WILD!

Fast forward to 2014 and Hopkins and corps members grow beards portraying Lincoln (and the Troopers) on his anniversary and their show about Presidents.

AND THE CROWD, well not so much.

Some might reference Santa Clara's and Bloo's electric shows and Crown's 3 peat of the pull the-drape-above-the-corps-trick borrowed from BAC as better AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!

But now comes this: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-video-games-are-saving-symphony-orchestras-and-filling-concert-halls/

Will it soon be in a DCI stadium near you?

What next to make THE CROWD GOES WILD! ???

Jet packs, live circus animals, and 10-cent beers.

Guaranteed to get 'em dancing in the aisles. :tongue:

In addition to what Shempy says, I think this element has the potential to grow stale quickly. Lights were used in multiple marching band shows I saw this fall, and it got to be repetitive and tiresome.

As will narration (which has indeed greatly done so already), vocals (singing), and electronic-generated sound. I still say that in large respect, Drum Corps will go full circle and travel back to the more regimented and regimental art form it once was -- and with a renewed interest in such things as traditional color guard equipment. There will come a generation who will be so totally unfamiliar with it that it will become "cool" (or at least, in their eyes, "original") in its' apparent newness to those individuals. I'm not saying that I'm necessarily hoping for such to transpire (I might...then again, I might not... :ninja: ) -- it's just a prediction. As any parent can tell you -- children often get bored with their toys after the initial appeal runs its' course.

Jet packs, live circus animals, and 10-cent beers.

Guaranteed to get 'em dancing in the aisles. :tongue:

How can any red blooded American male be against " 10- cent beers " ?

Sign me up...( so long as the 10- cent beer isn't flat or Pabst Blue Ribbon, Genesee.)

Edited by BRASSO

Maybe.. but maybe not. Utilizing repretitive things done before in the scholastic marching band world, has never stopped DCI Corps before, so I would not be no sure about this. Corps have even brought back shows, themes, music, marching moves, etc they've done themselves previously before, and in some cases its actually won them a DCI Title too on that rinse & repeat cycle of theirs.

But yes, I do recognize the logistical obstacles that the use of lighting presents, particularly in an outdoor setting , and thus would be a bit of a challenge as a result. But not an insurmountable challenge, and its not stopped the Scholastic Bands, as we know.. I've also not yet heard the criticism that the use of artificially created sound effects might become" tiresome" any time soon either. So who knows on the Lights. We'll see. But I'm sticking to my predictions that Lighting Effects will be the next big thing In DCI Drum Corps after the Sound Effects thing we are getting now runs its course.

After I got past the idea of "more crap to lug around and set up", I thought the more concerning issue would be light. More specifically, daylight. A Corps that might rely on lighting in their show design, performing during daylight hours, would not have nearly the same effect as a corps performing after sunset. Indoor performances like in Indy, San Antonio or Atlanta, create a whole different set of circumstances that requires lighting control that may not be feasible given how large arena lighting systems work, We can debate who has an advantage or who is disadvantaged but it certainly is not a level playing field. I am not sure we'd see lighting incorporated until all logistics can be ironed out. Just my two cents

I still say that in large respect, Drum Corps will go full circle and travel back to the more regimented and regimental art form it once was --

I don't know about the " Regimental " part ( although the Military D & B Corps could be expected to perhaps carry this aspect on).

Drum Corps originally did have woodwinds as its major instrumentation component ( fife), so there is the real possibility to a return to that happening to thus " go full circle ",in this aspect anyway on what you are predicting..

After I got past the idea of "more crap to lug around and set up", I thought the more concerning issue would be light. More specifically, daylight. A Corps that might rely on lighting in their show design, performing during daylight hours, would not have nearly the same effect as a corps performing after sunset. Indoor performances like in Indy, San Antonio or Atlanta, create a whole different set of circumstances that requires lighting control that may not be feasible given how large arena lighting systems work, We can debate who has an advantage or who is disadvantaged but it certainly is not a level playing field. I am not sure we'd see lighting incorporated until all logistics can be ironed out. Just my two cents

DCI Corps have agreed to be judged in shows without Brass judges... or Percussion judges... or Guard judges ( or any combination loss therof ), so I see no reason that Corps that have elected to have lights in their shows, could simply use them in the shows that they prefer to use them in that year, and forgo the use of them in other shows where the environment is not conducive to its use in that show.

Edited by BRASSO

Not sure if it will be a "crowd went wild" thing, but I think video will be the next thing...large screen/screens...kinda like the orchestra/gamer thing...I've seen several indoor units use one or multiple video screens, and I can see that translating to the drum corps field...unfortunately, I can also see the video becoming the star and the corps becoming the accompaniment...

Not sure if it will be a "crowd went wild" thing, but I think video will be the next thing...large screen/screens...kinda like the orchestra/gamer thing...I've seen several indoor units use one or multiple video screens, and I can see that translating to the drum corps field...unfortunately, I can also see the video becoming the star and the corps becoming the accompaniment...

With the large screens, perhaps judges could request a stoppage in play and demand a review to be sure the intended visual move was executed as their initial eye observation saw it. Nobody wants to see a judge on the field get the call wrong. And with MM's moving so swiftly these days on the field, judges need to be certain the visual move by the MM was a completion and not an incompletion.

Edited by BRASSO