Why is this HS Band show better designed than half the 2015 top 12?

Is it to avoid getting their shows ripped apart on DCP? I am kidding..... Could it be that designing a HS show allows for more freedom? I don't know, but I've wondered about the pressure differences between designing for DCI vs a HS.

could be hahaha... I'm wondering the same thing. Hence, the thread.

Because it's easier.

Don't get me wrong, of the relatively few BoA shows I saw last year (mainly the Finalists on Music for All's live stream), Broken Arrow was my favorite, and having now seen this video (thanks!), they're my favorite this year, too. (Of the relatively few top-tier bands I've seen. While I've seen better than 150 high school marching bands live this year, only about ten of those even begin to approach that tier, and none would come anywhere near to touching this show. Of the few shows I've seen on video, I can see why Hebron H.S. from Texas is being mooted as a contender for best music, though.) But maybe there aren't many designers who can design something that is both this gorgeous and also as difficult as DCI shows need to be.

Also because with more members, you can use some of them as set dressing or run crew without losing sound or visual oomph?

Did they bring in Dan Potter to announce their family show?

An interesting topic about freedom of artistic expression based on the members understanding of the design with their performance beyond DCI? Move with the music or let the music move you? More questions than answers is intrguing. Answers to all questions is otherwise imo

Edit: please replace intiguing with intriguing. I forgot the other i Yikes! I do proof read after my whimsical statement of which I have no idea what inspired me to post other than the wonderful activity of moving while playing music :smile:

Edited by lindap

Because it's easier.

Don't get me wrong, of the relatively few BoA shows I saw last year (mainly the Finalists on Music for All's live stream), Broken Arrow was my favorite, and having now seen this video (thanks!), they're my favorite this year, too. (Of the relatively few top-tier bands I've seen. While I've seen better than 150 high school marching bands live this year, only about ten of those even begin to approach that tier, and none would come anywhere near to touching this show. Of the few shows I've seen on video, I can see why Hebron H.S. from Texas is being mooted as a contender for best music, though.) But maybe there aren't many designers who can design something that is both this gorgeous and also as difficult as DCI shows need to be.

Also because with more members, you can use some of them as set dressing or run crew without losing sound or visual oomph?

Did they bring in Dan Potter to announce their family show?

Agreed in that the program is much easier than a top 12, but is highly effective. Which is why I'm claiming "superior design"

DCI design place so many challenges upon the performers (see Cadets 2015) - but is it as effective? Not always...

I wouldn't say this HS show is better designed than any DCI finalist show...for the following reasons:

1. To me, a well designed show is one that has a definite theme...a story, if you will...that is understandable to the fans. This "Wild Blue Orchid" show left me wondering what it was all about. The voice-over that should have explained things was drowned out by the music most of the time and didn't help me at all. The show came across as a JABOM/M show (Just A Bunch Of Music/Movement).

2. Someone mentioned that the show looked cluttered. I agree. I'm sorry, but I don't give points to a show just because they have a whole lot of people on the field...no matter how much moving around or rolling around on the ground they do.

That said, this performance was good...except for their execution. Too many mistakes by the performers that might be hidden by the sheer number of them, but that took away from the quality of the show. I'd say the guard was better than the musician line. By DCI standards, they needed a whole lot more cleaning.

How strange, maybe even rude, to post a critique of this one high school's design which in the subcaption admits that the show is unfinished just as the band heads off to Grand Nationals in Indy, their World Championships where surprises are usually revealed.

Why pick on one school to criticize plus and minus while not scrutinizing the same treatment for the shows they challenge face to face this week? The timing holds the show up to negative nit-picking. The OP has his own agenda beyond these kids.

This school has had a tremendous use of DCI designers and instructors to augment the talented local staff (including Zach Schlicher, Wes Cartwright, Andy W., etc.) who each summer host a DCI corps (or two) and sponsor a show. I can think of Leon May, http://carolinacrown.org/web/index.php?Itemid=476&catid=21%3Asupport&id=526%3Adonors&option=com_content&view=article (cf. last paragraph of article;)

mwmbers of their percussion staff i split between teaching two DCI World class corps; and a number of DCI judges and brass arrangers who have built the Broken Arrow brand. Each summer BA has been hosting a DCI show that packs the house.

Methinks one would have to buy a ticket for Grand Nationals BOA championships this year to see what the props reveal.

Edited by xandandl

Why pick on one school to criticize plus and minus while not scrutinizing the same treatment for the shows they challenge face to face this week? The timing holds the show up to negative nit-picking. The OP has his own agenda beyond these kids.

Because that's the only show the OP linked to? Geeze, give it a rest.

• Like 1

I don't want to criticize a HS band show. I want to say what I saw in the context of what this show does that seems to emulate what DCI has become, and thereby, make a critique of the state of modern DCI:

• Voice for the sake of voice. Check.
  • Body movement for the sake of body movement. Check.
  • Gratuitous rolling around on the ground. Check.
  • Large clunky props that seem to be there. Without any purpose or addition to the story of the show. Check.
  • Really, really good musicianship. Check.
So what I saw was a REALLY good reflection of a modern DCI show. Better design than Phantom? Give me a break. But it does contain all the bad crap DCI has morphed into. Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3

Some woodwinds that just made my Christmas list.... (not to mention a couple of melodic percussionists or two...)

Edited by HornTeacher