What is "standard" instrumentation / lineup?

I'm a dinosaur from the days of 128 members on the field. When did they change it, btw?

My real question is, is there a place where various shows "lineups" are available? 14 Tubas, how many in front ensemble, color guard, etc.?

My last year marching, our corps may have had around 80 mm, so I'm a granddad dino! With 150 the max these days, you'll see various configurations. As for standards, trumpets and baris are around 24, mellophones in the14-16 range, and contras between 12-16. As guards have gained more say with the visuals, they have grown in size with some corps in the mid 40's. When this happens, the brass might drop a couple of contra's or mellophones. Percussion might drop a snare or quad. Finally, the pit can play around with their numbers. Once the show is decided on and what the design team wants to convey, the staff will start deciding on section sizes.

Edited by Ghost

And then, you have the special stuff...such as Blue Knights last season, having all mello and trumpet players playing mello's and all bari, euphs and tuba players playing bari's for one song.

Also, BK...in 2012...went with 22 mello's for their whole show. That's rather unusual, though.

Edited by Herk

I'm a dinosaur from the days of 128 members on the field. When did they change it, btw?

2000 changed to 135

2008 changed to 150

• Like 1

Several years back, Madison had 20 in the contra section.

Yes. That was their choice that year. I don't think BD has ever gone out with more than 12 ( although, could be mistaken on that). BD does seem to think that 12 is more than sufficient ( for them ) most years now however.

Edited by BRASSO

My real question is, is there a place where various shows "lineups" are available? 14 Tubas, how many in front ensemble, color guard, etc.?

Dood, welcome back to the zoo. It's quite different these days. With Pesceone gone, the animals really are running the asylum ($1 BAC, 2014).

But hang around here and go to shows - it's really quite fun.

Your question is one I've been curious about, but my cynicism tells me they follow each other like ducks in a line. The only argument ever is only who is leading that line, IMO, and that naturally depends on who you ask.

My real question is, is there a place where various shows "lineups" are available?

Yes.. there is.

You can go to " www.dci.org ". Up top,.. first page,.. look under " schedule ". There you will find the scheduled shows for summer 2016 and the Corps lineup. Thats the simple answer to your simple question here.

Edited by BRASSO

Not to go old-school curmodgeon, and respect to the big, strong and fast corps of the modern era. But there are times when 150 on the field looks a bit "congested" to me.

Peace,

Fred O.

Again it is a matter of subjective opinion, taste, and past experience.

Yes, getting 150 members within the 10 yardlines, or never going out past the 35/20 yardline markers or past the front hashes as we have recently seen with certain DCI shows is congested.

But as so many of the DCI top drill designers also write for mega-size high school and/or college bands, 150 is quite small compared to, say, Michigan universities, Ohio universities, and the University of Massachusetts whose ensembles can at times be as many as 400. Perspective, perspective, perspective.