Hoosier's $10,000,000 marching band building

A friend sent me the link to the quoted article below and I figured I'd share it here.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) Indiana University officials are planning a new $10 million building for the schools Marching Hundred Band on the Bloomington campus.

The 30,000-square-foot facility would be built just south of Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium on the campus northern end.

The Herald-Times reports the proposal calls for a 6,000-square-foot rehearsal space, along with two smaller rehearsal rooms and space for instrument and uniform storage and repair. The project would be paid for with donations to the IU Foundation.

The Marching Hundred Band performs at home football games and some other events.

A vote on approving the project is expected during the IU Board of Trustees meeting on Friday.

http://wishtv.com/2015/12/01/indiana-university-planning-10m-marching-band-building/

Assuming this project is approved, once completed I wonder how willing IU would be to offer up this space to drum corps. Sounds like it would be a pretty good prospective finals week housing/rehersal site. Also the potential building location they mentioned would be right next to IU's new Rec Sports Field Complex, where there are 5 turf fields that are only being used for seasonal intramural sports. Either way, it's good to see schools (thinking about) dropping money on marching bands and I hope that this project is approved.

• Like 1

A friend sent me the link to the quoted article below and I figured I'd share it here.

http://wishtv.com/2015/12/01/indiana-university-planning-10m-marching-band-building/

Assuming this project is approved, once completed I wonder how willing IU would be to offer up this space to drum corps. Sounds like it would be a pretty good prospective finals week housing/rehersal site. Also the potential building location they mentioned would be right next to IU's new Rec Sports Field Complex, where there are 5 turf fields that are only being used for seasonal intramural sports. Either way, it's good to see schools (thinking about) dropping money on marching bands and I hope that this project is approved.

Sure! They'll offer it...to the highest bidder.

• Like 2

When I said "offer up" I didnt mean go looking for drum corps to house,more or less a willingness to work with a corps in need of a site. but yeah, as someone who is currently employed at IU rec sports, I can't dissagree with your comment one bit.

Edited by rancidrolla

Sure! They'll offer it...to the highest bidder.

Doubtful that Jim Rome will be the major contributor (leading to the naming rights). Somehow, I don't think the Jim Rome Marching Band Facility would exactly fly.

• Like 2

That's cool. Will it come with a football team?

UMN Gophers already have that with the backside stands (per our DCI usage) sitting above their band room, storage lockers, and uniform rooms.

Pressbox side does the honors for the athletic teams who don't play musical instruments.

Edited by xandandl

UMN Gophers already have that with the backside stands (per our DCI usage) sitting above their band room, storage lockers, and uniform rooms.

Pressbox side does the honors for the athletic teams who don't play musical instruments.

I got to take something of a tour last year. Pretty impressive. The main rehearsal area is essentially a gigantic band room.