2015 DCI DVD/Blu-Ray to be Top-12 Only

Within the last day or so, DCI released a FAQ on their website offering some more insight about the video copyright debacle and what DCI is doing about it.

Unfortunately, it also included the following information about the 2015 DVD/Blu-Ray release:

"Which corps will be featured on those products?

This year Drum Corps International will feature performances of the top-25 corps from the DCI World Championship in Indianapolis on a four-disc CD set and the top-12 World Championship Finalists on a two-disc Blu-ray or two-disc DVD set.

Can I get any corps other than the top-12 finalist corps on video?

At this time, Drum Corps International will only be able to offer the top-12 finalist corps on Blu-ray and DVD. Some drum corps not on the finalist Blu-ray/DVD sets have decided to produce their own videos independently. Check with the specific corps if you are interested in a particular performance."

Full article: http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210577718&DB_OEM_ID=33500&mid=1079483548&ml=31165464

I understand there are many factors, but it doesn't change how unfortunate it is. I feel bad for those who may not be able to receive a video recording of their performance this year. :unhappy:

Edited by TroopAlum12

Its a real shame that the non top 12 Corps video shows from last season are lost to the public via DCI .

Some insight from an anonymous friend who is on staff with a corps:

"

Sitting in the October DCI meetings gave me a great respect for what Dan Acheson has to do every year, especially as it relates to copyright law. As I understood the conversation in the room, copyright laws are getting worst because they are starting to catch up to all the forms of media outlets. As mentioned, fan network was dropped primarily because of their archived content and the official DCI YouTube was scrubbed to avoid further royalties to be paid on historical performances. One thing that was brought up was "live streaming" was also causing issues financially, as the copyright owners and the publishing companies were lining up with their hands wide open demanding a cut of the profit...Let's say all 25 semifinalist corps all had cost DCI $250,000 per organization to cover all licensing costs to make sure they have a blue ray/DVD/downloadable performance could each corps' fan base, or DCIs entire fan base purchase enough product to cover this expense? This dollar amount is an exaggeration to prove the point, but it what they think about when producing the top 12 versus all the corps. Can the sales of their products cover the expenses to creating them. It's Business 101. I know it sucks, my age our year is missing the audio from the ballad because of this issue, but that's the way things go in the music industry. One way to help is DCI is requiring more work to be done at a corps level to help expedite licensing issues and to create more transparency with the companies we deal with. An issue raised was how verbal agreements mean nothing, so all correspondences are by email or letter and kept in the event a publisher changes their minds and wants to press DCI for money... And from the sounds of it this was another huge issue they've been dealing with. Publishing companies are the ones who are causing the biggest issue. I hate to use the term blood sucker, but these people are notorious. It's bad that one of the copyright topics was "West Side Story... Never again." I think the best thing is to have the composer, in writing, approve to use the piece and to be able to get all the licenses associated with producing a final product. What I mean with that is there are 6-7 licenses per song used. The arranging license is the starting point and the big ones are audio sync to audio media, video sync to video media, and the big one that has cause DCI the most issues over the years audio and video sync to produce DVDs.

It might be time for all the DCI Corps to band together and collectively hire a single FULL TIME Attorney with connections to most of the major publishing firms, that will work to expedite the copywrite issues each season on behalf of all the DCI Corps. Sure, this might be an expensive legal cost, but there are costs to NOT do so in this fashion too, imo.... and long range, the cost of not doing something with a full time Attorney working on this, might be far more costly to each Corps ( and DCI as a viable & stable activity itself ) than electing to do so. DCI is an outsider with these publishing firms. In my view, they might want to consider hiring someone with inside connections to the major publishing houses that potentially could work out a better legal deal for all the DCI Corps, as well as DCI itself.

Edited by BRASSO

Youtube Drum Corps videos get degraded pretty quickly in viewer quality in my view. Some of the iconic shows on youtube are almost unwatchable these days now as the sound and/ or the viewing quality absolutely stinks to the max.... especially when compared to the audio and video quality of the ones we all used to be able to purchase thru DCI.

Edited by BRASSO

Hint: there's this little website called youtube - it gets many more views than DCI ever sold of DVD/BR/VHS etc...

Sure, but corps performances on Youtube are pulled down all the time.

Also some of us would like to do the right thing, if possible: to pay for access to legal video rather than to have free access to illegal video (which describes most corps performances on Youtube).

Can I get any corps other than the top-12 finalist corps on video?

At this time, Drum Corps International will only be able to offer the top-12 finalist corps on Blu-ray and DVD. Some drum corps not on the finalist Blu-ray/DVD sets have decided to produce their own videos independently. Check with the specific corps if you are interested in a particular performance."

So which non-Finalist corps are independently offering video?

It might be time for all the DCI Corps to band together and collectively hire a single FULL TIME Attorney with connections to most of the major publishing firms, that will work to expedite the copywrite issues each season on behalf of all the DCI Corps. Sure, this might be an expensive legal cost, but there are costs to NOT do so in this fashion too, imo.... and long range, the cost of not doing something with a full time Attorney working on this, might be far more costly to each Corps ( and DCI as a viable & stable activity itself ) than electing to do so. DCI is an outsider with these publishing firms. In my view, they might want to consider hiring someone with inside connections to the major publishing houses that potentially could work out a better legal deal for all the DCI Corps, as well as DCI itself.

good luck.

because the attorney with connections will know they can get more from the connections than DCI. It's business 101