2015 DCI DVD/Blu-Ray to be Top-12 Only

Time for everyone to do all-original shows? No licensing to deal with then.

• Like 1

Or at least find composers who self-publish, like John Mackey.

• Like 2

hint: there's this little website called youtube - it gets many more views than DCI ever sold of DVD/BR/VHS etc...

Problem: from reading the FAQ, it seems like this is one of the things getting DCI in trouble, and there has been more pressure from the publishers for DCI to crack down on illegal YouTube videos. So don't count on that.

Or public domain (75+ years old) material....

No. It ain't happenin,' at least not as long as they can still get performance licenses for the newer material written by other composers.

Remember that DCI does not make much money (if any) from selling CDs, DVDs, or Blu-Rays. The directors, who you will recall, are DCI and have all the voting power, aren't going to want to give up the creative options they now have to maximize show design and ticket revenue just so they could sell a few more disks.

And getting original material composed (especially if it's any good) is typically quite a bit more expensive than getting performance licenses. Plus any time you do a show with original material, you run a small risk of somebody like Tresona coming along and claiming you ripped off something they own the rights to and have to drop it or pay them money.

DCI would see this suggestion as net revenue negative for them in the long run.

Edited by Peel Paint

Interesting how there is no thought whatsoever to curbing the designers' "visions," only how the consumer may or may not suffer on the back end buying it.

Mike

But that's an issue as well. Why should a designer have to be contained in a box? So someone can buy a DVD or CD?

I've seen some argue that the recordings should beside to keep track of history and have artifacts of our activity, which is actually a ######## reason. Considering under copyright laws a recording CAN be made for archival purposes even if it can't be sold or distributed.

I get the frustration, but to ask people to be less creative would be terrible.

Should we then tell them they can't use specific genres because they are offensive?

Not a path I think we should go down.

Problem: from reading the FAQ, it seems like this is one of the things getting DCI in trouble, and there has been more pressure from the publishers for DCI to crack down on illegal YouTube videos. So don't count on that.

Even with all the changes as a result of the rights issues, I am still surprised how many full show videos exist on YouTube. Some days it seems like no one is looking at the issue.

So which non-Finalist corps are independently offering video?

Not many, if any. Which means moving forward, unless this issue is worked out, the non Finalist shows on the visual side will be lost forever to both the marchers, staffers in these Corps, as well as the public. It'l be like that show never even existed. Youtube takes DCI shows down and off their site all the time. Besides, nothing screams out " small time " than having to go outside an organization's marketing site itself in order to get the majority of recent video corps performances of its member Corps. If DCI is too small, doesn't have the financial resources, or legal means to now keep up with the legal demands of a new copywrite environment, and shifting times, then it is what it is, and thus a sad state to now find itself in. It appears that DCI has no good answers to this copywrite issue, and so its chances of future growth in future years seem a real longshot now, to me... especially for the non TOP 12 Corps. This stinks for all these Corps, and a real kick in the pants for them. It appears that DCI 's stored archives via Fan Network system of several hundred older shows once readily available for retrieval to alums and fans is now lost forever too. Its a shame. BUT.... as posters have said before repeatedly.... " things change, and evolve ". We just need to adapt and learn to be flexible as " things change & evolve " in DCI now, thats all.

Edited by BRASSO

Obviously Copyright Law needs to be reformed... it's going beyond protecting rights, and is just a way to get more money. And the problem is not the original composers. Thankfully there is a movement for composers to self publish. As the benefits for a composer to go with a publishing company almost don't exist anymore. Unfortunately the majority of music is still tied up in these companies that are only in it to make a buck. Which hey... if it's legal, can't blame them. But one thing we can do is to get current artists to self publish. In the end it is more beneficial to everyone. You are not maintaining control over your property if you are giving up to these companies.

John Mackey does it right. He is the perfect example of how to do it. (Although I would have probably hired someone to help me enforce stuff by now, haha).

But back to my first sentence, copyright law needs to be reformed.. but honestly there are probably far more pressing issues that need reform right now... and who can trust our gov't to do much right anyway.

But that's an issue as well. Why should a designer have to be contained in a box? So someone can buy a DVD or CD?

I've seen some argue that the recordings should beside to keep track of history and have artifacts of our activity, which is actually a ######## reason. Considering under copyright laws a recording CAN be made for archival purposes even if it can't be sold or distributed.

I get the frustration, but to ask people to be less creative would be terrible.

Should we then tell them they can't use specific genres because they are offensive?

Not a path I think we should go down.

Yeah, it's rough and I suspect that DCI designers will do EVERYTHING they can for competitive reasons. I know one corps a few years ago was using a sample in their show, doing really well competitively. They knew they would not have the sync rights for the sample to go on the DVDs, and had a member record the sample so they would be in the clear for rights issues. They were all set to go, and then Finals night didn't want to risk not having the original sample so they just used the original and never used the re-recorded version version. Of course, their show was edited on the DVD/Blu-ray release. Competitive edge > rights clearance.

I also suspect that the revenue from CD/Blu-ray/DVD sales aren't worth it for DCI to radically change design philosophy. I don't know what sort of profit margin the CDs/videos bring for DCI, but I suspect it's not enough to dictate design policy for DCI

This is all a bummer, but it is what it is & as fans we just have to get used to it.