1967 AL/CYO Nations DVD - what to look for?

Wanted to spell out American Legion but ran out of room.... sigh

OK for a Christmas present I bought myself (with present $$) the DCW DVDs of some of the corps in 1967 American Legion and CYO shows. Not all the corps are there and quality not 100% due to age. Not a problem as have seen one of these shows before on the Cabs site. Just go the DVDs but will be probably the weekend (and it's MONDAY) until I get a chance to look.

But as a person who didn't see his first show until 1974 what should I look for. Have some vids of early 1970s shows so know about starting/stopping lines but don't think I have even heard any of these shows (except for Cabs) let alone see them. So is there anything I should watch for?

Posted on certain DC History sites but hope it does not become a anti DCI whizzing contest.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Jim ... if you go into watching the '67 shows based on someone else's pov, you're putting yourself at a deficit ... simply "watch" the shows the first time through and don't try to over-analyze ... then, after you're done, check out their placements and scores on www.corpsreps.com ... let's see how good you really are ... oh ... and be sure to watch for me in the snare line of the Bpt PAL on the CYO tape ...

:-)

Thanks Andy. Just to clarify wasn't going to get too "deep" in any of this. Was thinking like "great solo work by (corps name)", "corps had off year before but came back", "so and so rivalry" just basic stuff that clueless me could watch for. First time I will be seeing competing versions of some corps that I know more as Alumni-types.

Have the 1974 Carlisle DVD and that would be like "Cabs and Buccs went toe to toe all season", "Westshoremen were inactive year before (take pity on me" :tounge2:

And yeah.... look for so and so in PAL snares..... :thumbs-up:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

One of the most influential corps of that period was the Cavaliers. They had a system for teaching technique which pretty much kick started the trend towards setting much higher standards for basic skills in marching and brass. They already had a very solid percussion plan in place.

When you watch them, see if you can recognize any technical differences vis a vis the other corps.

This was the beginning of a period wherein the Mid-west and eventually the West began to wrest all the titles away from the Eastern corps who had monopolized the activity for so long.

• Like 1