Trivia

I remember Marquis won and we were last in Open Class. I will check to see if anyone has those scores

Please be patient with me Keith. I'm testing DCP's search engine tonight, looked up Trivia and cut/paste a URL as below:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/119679-still-more-trivia/?hl=trivia

I've tried to place keywords onto DCP over the years to find what I posted before. Now I'm confused and can't find them anymore. I do remember Marquis as a very good corps.

Linda,

I saw that jazz/funk band Tower of Power co-founder Mic Gillette passed away the other day. Supposedly he did some musical arrangement for the Edmonton All-Girl Drum & Bugle Corps. Do you know anything about that?

Here's the link, with the mention of him doing music for the Seattle Imperials and Edmonton Girls:

http://www.thefundamentals.com/Memberspages/micg.html

Edited by Northern Thunder

I have some people in NY trying to get that 1976 NT Open info.

Linda,

I saw that jazz/funk band Tower of Power co-founder Mic Gillette passed away the other day. Supposedly he did some musical arrangement for the Edmonton All-Girl Drum & Bugle Corps. Do you know anything about that?

Here's the link, with the mention of him doing music for the Seattle Imperials and Edmonton Girls:

http://www.thefundamentals.com/Memberspages/micg.html

Brian,

It's been a difficult few weeks for people that love music. Mic Gillette graciously helped the Alberta All Girls Drum & Bugle Band during many visits to Edmonton spring of 1977. We went to DEG III 3-piston horns and I have personal notes from an interview with Mic. Mike Duffy and our director put it together after TOP performed at a local club January 1977. Pam and I, the guard/drill instructors at that time, admired Mic and TOP among many more. Mic kindly played the opening notes to 'You're Still a Young Man' in our living room spring of 1977. Very, very cool! This may be a trivia thread but Mic's influence was not. Mic taught young people to play and loved music and his family. He was a kind person and shared his stories. He had a brief drum corps connection, a long performance connection but mostly he connected with the kids. RIP Mic

Sincerely, lindap

• Like 1

Brian,

Mic kindly played the opening notes to 'You're Still a Young Man' in our living room spring of 1977. Very, very cool!

That's a great story Linda! I always liked it when Paul Shaffer's CBS Orchestra would play You're Still a Young Man as play-on music for some young actor or comedian on the David Letterman Show (with Al Chez on trumpet). I have autographed sheet music from that song (along with What Is Hip) from Tower of Power sax player Steve Kupka.

And who can forget the 1984 Freelancers opening......"Live from Sacramento..........the Freelancers!!" .....directly into You're Still a Young Man.

Marching and Maneuvering Drums Bugles GE Mus Ana M+M Drums Bugles

E. Joyce C. Williams T. Colla D. Reynolds R. Olsen J. Whitlock B. Baggs L. Dlabay G. Barbaro J. Unrath

Thanks, Andy. What made me curious was the wide upwards leap Osage made from their prelims placement. From a purely musical standpoint, they were one of the most underrated corps of all time.

Speaking of Mic Gillette, the Precisionnaires could bring that Oakland East Bay Tower of Power funk more authentically than even the great blue teams like Anaheim and the BD. When Rich DeCola came back to NY after judging some DCI shows in the mid-west I asked how the big guns sounded. "Forget them" he said, "you've got to hear these little cats from the cornfields!"

And there have been others that deserved similar props, like Avant Garde and those dudes from Sarnia.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1

The stories of Mic Gillette's generosity are plentiful. A few years ago, a local Jr. High band "volunteered" to help me test out some new gear in the recording studio at the college. As they were loading in, I saw someone carrying an amp who looked familiar.

"That's one of the parents", said the band director. It was Mic. It turned out we were neighbors. He was forever doing guest shots with school bands all over the place. On this occasion he played trumpet, Flugelhorn, trombone and tuba. Most of the kids just knew him as somebody's dad.

He was a musical monster, a monster with a very big heart.

• Like 1

Osage Precisionnaires were an amazing corps and would have loved to see them continue climbing to the top of DCI but for whatever reason that was not the case. Same with Squires and Avant Garde....I thought that they would be the "next" NY hope (as I thought Patriots would have been too). Sadly, they all were only meant to go so far and they were gone.

Offensive Lions and Les Eclipse can be in that group too