Mandarins 2016

The Sacramento Mandarins are coming off a big year: their first full corps ever. I felt the show was on the safe side last year, but they established a solid foundation, maintained their identity, and connected with the crowd. Some new staff on board this year, same design team I think - at least Key and Weber in principal positions.

This is a corps that deserves a thread. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Go Mandarins! Hoping for a move upward in 2016.

• Like 1

Mandarins were my favorite non-finalist last year. I also enjoyed their show more than a couple of the top 12 as well. Great show, great numbers in membership,, probably scored a little lower than they should have been. I can't wait to see what they put on the field this summer. If they keep improving they could be looking at top 12 in the next few years. Good luck Mandarins in 2016(and beyond), and thanks for the extremely entertaining shows over the years. Even when they were DIII they were putting out great shows, and have continued to improve on that over the last 20 years.

• Like 1

Mandarins were my favorite non-finalist last year. I also enjoyed their show more than a couple of the top 12 as well. Great show, great numbers in membership,, probably scored a little lower than they should have been. I can't wait to see what they put on the field this summer. If they keep improving they could be looking at top 12 in the next few years. Good luck Mandarins in 2016(and beyond), and thanks for the extremely entertaining shows over the years. Even when they were DIII they were putting out great shows, and have continued to improve on that over the last 20 years.

You've summarized why they've become my favorite corps. Consistent, quality shows with slow, sustainable growth. Can't think of a Mandarins show I didn't like. And that's why I have a terra cotta warrior standing in my living room.

• Like 1

The Sacramento Mandarins are coming off a big year: their first full corps ever. I felt the show was on the safe side last year, but they established a solid foundation, maintained their identity, and connected with the crowd. Some new staff on board this year, same design team I think - at least Key and Weber in principal positions.

This is a corps that deserves a thread. Thoughts?

The Mandarins got the short end last year.... It was as if " gee they are not supposed to be this good" with the scoring

I would make it a point to watch their show on tour last year. Seems that good things are happening in Sacramento. All the best in this upcoming season

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a rookie Mandarins Mello this season and I am very excited for this year. Our opener is already sounding great and the work ethic and dedication of the staff and members is kind of amazing.

• Like 2

I'm a rookie Mandarins Mello this season and I am very excited for this year. Our opener is already sounding great and the work ethic and dedication of the staff and members is kind of amazing.

The Mandarins got the short end last year . . . it was as if "Gee, they are not supposed to be this good" with the scoring.

It was an effective and entertaining show, but they actually simultaneously played and marched relatively little, and largely confined themselves to the front half of the field, as compared to most other corps even in their general scoring range. While "Resurrection" was an improvement from the previous year (despite, like many corps' 2015 shows, earning a lower score), personally I preferred their shows from 2013 and even 2012. Still, it was a good step in the right direction, and I look forward to their 2016 presentation.

they seem to be in a rut design wise...safe, but aside from the Takei vocals, nothing has stood out for years. They need to take some chances

I was always a fan of Key Poulan at SCV. I'm sure his original music is fine, but I think he's a great ARRANGER. I'd like to see the Mandarins program a familiar tune here and there and not rely solely on original music.

Last year's drill design was top 12, in my opinion.

• Like 3