No Detailed Recaps

Any measures that keeps fans in the dark ( both offseason and inseason ) is one that can only grow the activity and its fan base in the future, imo. Its a great model for the future, and I'm rather surprised that other sports activities, and musical youth organizations, generally do not pass similar measures whose effects are destined to keep its fans in the dark.

The NFL would go over really well if rushing yards and passing numbers were hidden from the fans. Lol.

• Like 3

Any measures that keeps fans in the dark ( both offseason and inseason ) is one that can only grow the activity and its fan base in the future, imo. Its a great model for the future, and I'm rather surprised that other sports activities, and musical youth organizations, generally do not pass similar measures whose effects are destined to keep its fans in the dark.

it's not a "sport"

Those mentioning the NFL keeping yards/game secret fail to get this

this is an attempt to keep the judges from "group think" - and we've seen a lot of that over the years

they can also post-evaluate scores given by each judge and compare / statistically evaluate their perceptions vs. the other judges

I understand it. I appreciate the move against slotting.

As a numbers geek that enjoy tracking the season, I'm bummed.

Will it change the shows I go to, the swag I buy and other dollars I put into the activity? Nah.

it's not a "sport"

Perhaps, but if so, then you'll be compelled by logic alone to agree then that DCI botched its marketing bigtime by marketing itself as a " sport " to sports network ESPN, bringing in NFL QB's, ( Young ) Head Coaches ( Knight ) MLB sports announcers ( Gowdy ) as MC's, hooking up drummers to compare heart rates to similar " athletes " engaged in competition, the branding of itself as Marching Music " Major Leagues", and at least another half dozen other tie ins in the recent past to " sports " and other " athletic competitions " and similarities to " athletes ". If this is not " a sport " then none of these things should have been done, as it only confuses everybody as to this.

Edited by BRASSO

I understand it. I appreciate the move against slotting.

As a numbers geek that enjoy tracking the season, I'm bummed.

Will it change the shows I go to, the swag I buy and other dollars I put into the activity? Nah.

Same. I'm a recap junkie over the summer, definitely don't like that I'll not be able to keep track of that stuff.

BUT, I can see why and it won't change how I follow during the summer..........except maybe I'll get some sleep by not analyzing until the early hours of the summer mornings.

"One other procedural issue brought to the floor during the session was a proposal to delay the publication of detailed recaps from DCI Tour events until after the completion of the season.

In place of the customary detailed scoring run-down, a summary recap showing total score and results in overall General Effect, Visual and Music captions will be posted online immediately following the completion of each event.

Although corps will be given the opportunity to view detailed scoring results of their performances during critiques following events, judges will not have access to recaps during the competitive season. ".

This one is confusing to me.

How does this improve the fan experience?

How does this improve judging? On one hand, this could allow a judge to be a bit more daring in their scoring and ranking; while, on the other, it could lend itself to a more subtle means of slotting - through veiled anonymity.

21 out of 22 voted for this, so we'll see how it works out.

When fans are kept in the dark on things that for decades were provided to it openly ( such as factually based score recaps from the Judges ) what can we logically expect then to fill the void ?...................................................

Rumors.

Some rumors that'll turn out to be true, others that'll be shown to be unverifiable, and others that'll be pure hogwash right from the getgo.

For example, in the absence of published recaps after shows, we can expect to read on here this summer that...... " I heard from my source with the Fill in the Blank Corps, that they received a Fill in the Blank Score and placement in the Fill in the Blank Caption in the recent Merkville DCI show !! ".

This news of more darkness for fans will only light up their imaginations here and around the DCI water coolers at work and around the nation's Band Rooms. Whether the withdrawal of once freely provided information to judges and fans is a good or a bad thing, I suppose only time will tell. In the meantime, look for Rumor Central to be working overdrive this summer on the now secret show recaps from each of the shows.

Edited by BRASSO

Perhaps, but if so, then you'll be compelled by logic alone to agree then that DCI botched its marketing bigtime by marketing itself as a " sport " to sports network ESPN, bringing in NFL QB's, ( Young ) Head Coaches ( Knight ) MLB sports announcers ( Gowdy ) as MC's, hooking up drummers to compare heart rates to similar " athletes " engaged in competition, the branding of itself as Marching Music " Major Leagues", and at least another half dozen other tie ins in the recent past to " sports " and other " athletic competitions " and similarities to " athletes ". If this is not " a sport " then none of these things should have been done, as it only confuses everybody as to this.

I've always believed DCI is horrific with marketing

• Like 2

"One other procedural issue brought to the floor during the session was a proposal to delay the publication of detailed recaps from DCI Tour events until after the completion of the season.

Raise your hand here if you'll excited to want to to learn of a DCI July- August show recaps on.. ( say )... Labor Day, Halloween, or maybe by Thanksgiving ?

Edited by BRASSO