No Detailed Recaps

I personally don't spend a lot of time looking at recaps during the season but as a former marching member and a major donor to drum corps I do want to know what is contributing to the success or lack of success of my favorite corps. Without detailed recaps I can't make an informed judgment.

Last fall many corps spent a ton of money addressing perceived weaknesses in their programs. Several corps switched .equipment suppliers. Several corps cleaned house and hired the latest and brightest staff hoping that will help them move up.

DCI is all about placement. If you are top twelve great if you are not top twelve you want to be because that is were the money is. It is easier to raise funds from alumni and other donors. You get preferential performance time at all shows, Uniform suppliers and equipment suppliers cut better deals with you. Grants while difficult to secure seem to gravitate to the top organizations.

IMO this change protects the status quo. It will harder than every for a corps to move up in placement. Without the buzz created around a corps through recaps it will be difficult for a corps to gain the momentum needed to move up. With only twenty two world class corps the difference from 13th to 22nd is not that great. The tops corps need to do more to help the lower rated corps.

I personally don't spend a lot of time looking at recaps during the season but as a former marching member and a major donor to drum corps I do want to know what is contributing to the success or lack of success of my favorite corps. Without detailed recaps I can't make an informed judgment.

Last fall many corps spent a ton of money addressing perceived weaknesses in their programs. Several corps switched .equipment suppliers. Several corps cleaned house and hired the latest and brightest staff hoping that will help them move up.

DCI is all about placement. If you are top twelve great if you are not top twelve you want to be because that is were the money is. It is easier to raise funds from alumni and other donors. You get preferential performance time at all shows, Uniform suppliers and equipment suppliers cut better deals with you. Grants while difficult to secure seem to gravitate to the top organizations.

IMO this change protects the status quo. It will harder than every for a corps to move up in placement. Without the buzz created around a corps through recaps it will be difficult for a corps to gain the momentum needed to move up. With only twenty two world class corps the difference from 13th to 22nd is not that great. The tops corps need to do more to help the lower rated corps.

the corps will have access to their scores - not the judges

• Like 1

There are several ways to slotting can take place.. My contention is the DCI has financial slotting. In the past ten years how much turnover has there been in the top twelve?

Sorry, but I'm not buying the "judges slotting" smoke screen. This a deliberate affront to the fans of this activity and anyone who thinks this is a good thing, some of which I agree wit on most matters, ought to have their head examined.

• Like 1

I'm sure judges still talk to each other.

I thought about this as well. To resolve this, prevent judges from having any contact during the season and take their cell phones away. Better yet, put them in rolling isolation booths - sort of like port-o-potties but with windows and a slot for meals. These isolation booths can be conveniently hitched to a truck/suv to be towed to the next show. Only allow them out just before a show begins and have "handlers" ensure they are returned as soon as scores are submitted.

Edited by Fish