2016 To Be Last One For The Bridgemen Alumni Corps

The Bridgemen Board of Directors recently announced that the coming 2016 season will be the last for the Alumni corps due to potential membership and practice facility issue that was presenting the corps in the future. Director George Lavelle recommended that, instead of going away at a cold February practice, as so many great corps […]

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2016/02/2016-to-be-last-one-for-the-bridgemen-alumni-corps/

>>>what does the first sentence mean?<<<

... sounds like they'll be experiencing membership numbers and rehearsal facility challenges in the future ... the demise of many Alumni (and competitive) groups ... looks like they'll be continuing their Mini Corps though ... maybe they'll perform at some of the BHOH I&E shows in the area ... that would be most welcome ...

what does the first sentence mean?

What it means was when we did our survey last August ( we do this ever year to get a handle of what corps we will have) of who would be coming back it wasn't promising. Only had 30 horns and 4 percussion and this on top of our practice site challenages of being bumped for a rental even though we had it booked. We have an old drum corps as in years withe corps. Many people have been in the corps 5 years or more so many were moving on.

So with that it was presented to make this the last year and I'm happy to say we have over 70 horns and over 25 percussion and will be having our biggest corps since 2006.

We will be doing 5 field shows this summer, highlighted with the final field performance in August at the DCI-Semi Finals in Indy. We will also be doing an exhibition at the Soundsport competition in Indy

After August the organization will become a performing arts organization with many small ensembles like a Mini-Corps and maybe even a Soundsport. Types that you will need less people and less money.

Hope this clears everything up as you will be able to see the Bridgemen many times before we ride off to the sunset.

George Lavelle

Bridgemen Director

• Like 4

is there a schedule posted for those of us interested in playing?

• Like 1

I guess this year will also be the finale for the Tornament of Stars. Just when I was getting use to having a hometown show. Good luck Bridgemen.

is there a schedule posted for those of us interested in playing?

WINTER CAMP SCHEDULE:

February 13th & 14th

March 12th practice 12-6

March 13th parades – West Orange & Jersey City

March 19th practice 12-4 Memorial Mass at night

March 20thBayonne St.Patricks parade

April 9th & 10th practice

April 23rd Reilly Raiders Standstill Show

SPRING/SUMMER SCHEDULE

April 30th & May 1 Drill camp #1

May 14th & May 15 Drill camp #2

(May 14th Bayonne Day practice during day, exhibition at night)

May 28th Practice 12-6

May 29th Practice 12-6

May 30th Bayonne parade

June 4th Parade Wildwood

June 25th Show -Barumn Fest, CT

July 4th Milltown parade

July 9th Show - Grand Prix, Clifton NJ

July 23rd Show -TOS Bayonne N.J.

Aug 6th Allentown

Aug 10th Leave for Indy

Aug 11th practice in Indy

Aug 12th DCI SEMI FINALS

Aug 13th Exhibition at Soundsport

Aug 13th Leave for NJ after finals

Edited by gmanbay41
  • Like 1

While I hate to see a corps fall by the wayside I can appreciate wanting to see see it as a good solid large corps. I can remember seeing one of the first alumni corps come out their first year or 2 with 70 horns lots of excitement playing the old arrangements that I had grown up with. I loved the first show of theirs I saw. Several years later they did an exhibition at another show. They had 20 horns and did a standstill, While it was the same arrangements and the players gave it an effort it was not the same and unfortunately I remember the not so good final time I saw them. I think it is best to go out strong so that is what folks remember.