FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - 2015 AUDIO/VISUAL PRODUCTS

Regarding DCA becoming lax about people making their own recordings.

If DCA knows that this is being done and allows it. Might as well kiss DCA goodbye when the lawsuit starts....

Right, sorry, I was just musing aloud in my astonishment at this news. But while musing . . .

I guess I'm wondering if instead of attending Finals last year, I might have been better off staying home, buying the stream, and recording the shows off my computer. That way I'd be able to watch the performances more than once!

• Like 1

I would think that they are still going to do the live webcast of prelims and finals, just like last year...that is probably a money-maker for them and would be feasible financially, similar to what DCI did last season and is doing again with DCI Live.

So, I would assume that there would be some kind of audio and video setup for that weekend.

That makes sense.

What a load of crap! How many video's will be bought? Will they sell millions? NO ! Intended for the few people who want a memory of their corps or favorite corps to listen and enjoy. I would love to be able to hear all the recordings of my corps BUT they are locked up in DCI's vault somewhere to NEVER be heard again. Doesn't matter that my friends and I busted our butts every summer to play and march and now we are told, "Haha, we have them and you can't!" Stinks!

There will NOT be a Grammy winner from these recordings nor will anyone make millions of dollars. This STINKS!!!!

while it sucks, it is business practice, and the rules are being enforced. as i have been uploading everything drum corps onto my ipod lately, i've wondered how much of what is there never had proper licensing?

And because of that lack of attention to that detail, dca even more than dci is not going to find willing partners in negotiations.

And by the way get ready for it to bleed over to performance and arranging rights

>>>And by the way get ready for it to bleed over to performance and arranging rights<<<

Sure glad Sky Alumni plays Alabama Jubilee (some years) ... in the Public Domain library ... maybe more corps should explore those options ... lots and lots of stuff in there ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Doesn't always help when corps try to stay with their identity

• Like 1

Points more and more towards original compositions for shows becoming the way to go whether any of us like it or not. Makes it far easier to get the rights to things.

Recording industry is in a panic to make money after living high off the hog until the age of digital downloading and the glut and oversupply of musical talent. They'll get it any way they can now.

>>>Doesn't always help when corps try to stay with their identity<<<

To paraphrase an infamous response to one word in the crowd, I thought of this immediately upon hearing "identity":

"Jim Mora heard one word," said John Michael Vincent, then of sports radio 1260 WNDE, "and that keyword -- the trigger and the blastoff of this meltdown --was "identity.'"

You know how it went down. Mora, his face contorting in disbelief, responded: "Ah -- identity? Don't talk about -- identity? You kidding me? Identity? I just hope we can win a show! Another show without being sued for the music we play!"

:-)