FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - 2015 AUDIO/VISUAL PRODUCTS

>>>identity was more refering to alumni corps<<<

I know ... the word and image of Mora being interviewed about the topic just struck me as very, very funny ... it was intended to be "tongue and cheek" ... I don't think Sky's Alumni has ever dropped a number due to performance licensing fees or refusal ... but, I'll let the current admins know of your statement regarding the future ...with DCA's dropping of the Alumni Classic, I doubt they'll be professionally recorded at all in the future ... don't know if that enters into the equation anywhere ...

Happy Super Bowl day! ... hope the commercials paid all their license fees ... HOO HAA!!!

:-)

DCA Alumni Classic is not being dropped - DVD of it is - I hope that is what Andy meant.

I hope Director's copies are made available to corps so we have a visual record of our performances.

I hope BFDTV who records on occasion can find a loophole to get more involved.

frankiE

• Like 1

Happy Super Bowl day! ... hope the commercials paid all their license fees ... HOO HAA!!!

Heh... the NFL and its advertisers have armies of lawyers who can deal with this stuff.

Drum corps... not so much. LOL.

It has been said on these forums before that the "mechanical" (i.e., audio) license is "compulsory": it can't be denied. Is that not true? And if it is, then why not at least a CD?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

While there is an audience for drum corps CD's and DVD's, is there enough of it that the Publishing/Recording community would think that this will take away millions of dollars from them? Drum corps today aren't playing the Top 40 hits that are on the radio now. Obviously the majority of popular music today is repetitious and has no melody. It is rap and hip hop. Drum corps do jazz, classical and MAYBE classic rock tunes. Some corps do pieces written by band composers today. Clearly there is not a lot of money to be made!

If I hear a piece of music that I hear at a drum corps competition and I like it....I will probably buy it for my band or choir. That corps sold that piece of work for the composer. Lets say that Blue Devils play a Chuck Mangione piece (yes, I know they did) and I like Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor and Chase the Clouds Away....I am going to rush out and buy those albums. Wait, I did do that back in the 70's! I also did that when I heard BD and Osage play "Squib Cakes." Tower of Power albums were in my collection because of drum corps. I even got our Personal typing class a period off when our typing teacher (a flute player) said, "If you can tell me the name of this piece, you get the whole period off!" Within 11 notes I raised my hand and heard sarcastically, "Yes Mr. Hall?" All eyes turned to me and I said, "Marche Militaire Francais!" He asked if I was sure and I said, "No doubt in my mind!" Thank you Regimente Militaire!

So where was I going with this?

There has got to be a loop hole in al of this and maybe someone out there can figure it all out because I and some of my former marching friends would like to listen to whatever recordings of The Royal Coachmen or Imperial Regiment are out there. These recordings would not be played in clubs but in the privacy of my car or home. I think we would all swear to that!

>>> I and some of my former marching friends would like to listen to whatever recordings of The Royal Coachmen or Imperial Regiment are out there. These recordings would not be played in clubs but in the privacy of my car or home. I think we would all swear to that!<<<

There's at least two recordings of RC (1970, 1973) for sale via DCW in there historical CD listings ... there are also a couple of DC recording preservation groups that can probably lead you to some of what you want to hear ... John Sheragy (Sun, Sky) is a collector who lives in Clearwater FL ... he's amassed about 6,000+ recordings over the years ... Glen Kubacki, who partners with Fleetwood also has many contacts ... and there's also Ken Mason in the Midwest who has a sizeable library ... hope this helps you a little ...

While there is an audience for drum corps CD's and DVD's, is there enough of it that the Publishing/Recording community would think that this will take away millions of dollars from them? Drum corps today aren't playing the Top 40 hits that are on the radio now. Obviously the majority of popular music today is repetitious and has no melody. It is rap and hip hop. Drum corps do jazz, classical and MAYBE classic rock tunes. Some corps do pieces written by band composers today. Clearly there is not a lot of money to be made!

If I hear a piece of music that I hear at a drum corps competition and I like it....I will probably buy it for my band or choir. That corps sold that piece of work for the composer. Lets say that Blue Devils play a Chuck Mangione piece (yes, I know they did) and I like Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor and Chase the Clouds Away....I am going to rush out and buy those albums. Wait, I did do that back in the 70's! I also did that when I heard BD and Osage play "Squib Cakes." Tower of Power albums were in my collection because of drum corps. I even got our Personal typing class a period off when our typing teacher (a flute player) said, "If you can tell me the name of this piece, you get the whole period off!" Within 11 notes I raised my hand and heard sarcastically, "Yes Mr. Hall?" All eyes turned to me and I said, "Marche Militaire Francais!" He asked if I was sure and I said, "No doubt in my mind!" Thank you Regimente Militaire!

So where was I going with this?

There has got to be a loop hole in al of this and maybe someone out there can figure it all out because I and some of my former marching friends would like to listen to whatever recordings of The Royal Coachmen or Imperial Regiment are out there. These recordings would not be played in clubs but in the privacy of my car or home. I think we would all swear to that!

Well, the easy loop hole is to do something like the music libraries at Universities do. They keep the recordings of performances on hand for archival purposes. You as a student can go to the library, and listen to it, or sometimes make a copy of it depending on the piece for your own archival usage.

but this would require someone to go back, and librarian all these performances into an organized library, staff it, an watch over it.

As far as selling these for home usage, it would likely have to be an iTunes style of library, where you pay for each download. There's no great way to watermark sound without altering it. So again, piracy is a concern. Not so much of the stuff from 60 years ago, but from stuff in the last two decades. Many of those arrangers and composers are still alive.

It has been said on these forums before that the "mechanical" (i.e., audio) license is "compulsory": it can't be denied. Is that not true? And if it is, then why not at least a CD?

Mechanical and synchronization are two different sets of rights.

>>> I and some of my former marching friends would like to listen to whatever recordings of The Royal Coachmen or Imperial Regiment are out there. These recordings would not be played in clubs but in the privacy of my car or home. I think we would all swear to that!<<<

There's at least two recordings of RC (1970, 1973) for sale via DCW in there historical CD listings ... there are also a couple of DC recording preservation groups that can probably lead you to some of what you want to hear ... John Sheragy (Sun, Sky) is a collector who lives in Clearwater FL ... he's amassed about 6,000+ recordings over the years ... Glen Kubacki, who partners with Fleetwood also has many contacts ... and there's also Ken Mason in the Midwest who has a sizeable library ... hope this helps you a little ...

Anyone care to place a bet regarding the liscencing of those recordings, and the rights being obtained? Yea, I didn't think so...