Have we seen the last of high-speed "kaleidoscopic" drill in D

So - with Crown moving mostly away from high-speed, high demand drill after 2012, Cadets last season throwing the kitchen sink of tough drill and music demand and finishing out of medals, and BD continuing to dominate... have we seen the last of high-speed, high-demand drills?

Is the trend that started in the 80's and peaked in the early 90s finally "over"?

I think it might be.

(title should read "kaleidoscopic" if mod can fix - oops)

Edited by George Dixon

So - with Crown moving mostly away from high-speed, high demand drill after 2012, Cadets last season throwing the kitchen sink of tough drill and music demand and finishing out of medals, and BD continuing to dominate... have we seen the last of high-speed, high-demand drills?

Yes.

DCI has moved beyond that now... creative staging & sound effects ( and the points that can be derived from that) is now where its at as " The Next Big Thing " happenin' now, imo

I agree with you on this, George.

I think it's been this way ever since Michael Gaines left, although there have been shows that foreshadowed this transition from drill to staging and choreography before he left (see Blue Devils 2009).

The last championship show I remember that had fantastic drill design was Cadets 2011.

You will always see elements of run 'n gun in the top shows. Devils and Crown both had thier moments the last few years. What you probably won't (and shouldn't) see is entire shows that rely on only that skill. Demonstrating a *variety* of skills and effects is what is rewarded. Devils do it. Crown does it. Cadets...well...not as much. They run 'n gun better than anyone, there'sd no question. But when that's where you hang your hat most of the show...it's not as impactful, and honestly it's not all that hard either. They've clearly masterd that skil. Now they have to figure out how to do more while making thier masterd drill moments count.

I'd like to see Cadets (and honestly, it's not just them...just the example we use most) employ a wider variety of visual and simultaneous demand. That's what they need to do if they want to consisantly finish in the top three and contend for championships.

• Like 5

Santa Clara Vanguards drill was pretty high speed and kaleidoscopic this year IMO

• Like 1

You will always see elements of run 'n gun in the top shows. Devils and Crown both had thier moments the last few years. What you probably won't (and shouldn't) see is entire shows that rely on only that skill. Demonstrating a *variety* of skills and effects is what is rewarded. Devils do it. Crown does it. Cadets...well...not as much. They run 'n gun better than anyone, there'sd no question. But when that's where you hang your hat most of the show...it's not as impactful, and honestly it's not all that hard either. They've clearly masterd that skil. Now they have to figure out how to do more while making thier masterd drill moments count.

I'd like to see Cadets (and honestly, it's not just them...just the example we use most) employ a wider variety of visual and simultaneous demand. That's what they need to do if they want to consisantly finish in the top three and contend for championships.

I agree with you on this. I do want Cadets to continue to employ elements of running-and-gunning but I have to admit, having that for most of the show is neither that effective nor impressive anymore. However, I think it is more effective/impressive when they have simultaneous demand, for example, that one set in their opener when the hornline was doing multiple pass-thrus and the middle and low brass were playing that passage while all that was taking place. Things like that imo helped them win their brass trophy. Having more of that when they're incorporating musicality is what I think seems to work more than just running all over the place for most of the show.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Santa Clara Vanguards drill was pretty high speed and kaleidoscopic this year IMO

yeah - and they couldn't crack the top group of finalists, the corps moving up the past few years (Bluecoats, Blue Knights...) aren't really known for fast/whiplash drill approaches