BD / SCV Open Rehearsals?

Yes. Corps practices are generally open to the public... expecially given the fact that most practices are in publically taxpayor funded facilities. I suppose if Corps practiced in private school settings they would be permitted legally to keep out the public. But Corps practices in a public school facility they do not own ? I doubt it. There is nothing to prevent a jogger from using the open stadium track that a corps practices on at that stadium for example.... nor for a person to use the public gymnasium, public restrooms, etc at a public school during off school hours, unless a locally based unit or sports team has reserved the facility for themselves exclusively. The key phrase being " locally based ". Even here, its doubtful that these groups would be legally permitted to keep the taxpayor funding public out from sitting in the taxpayor funded stands to watch what is going on ( or not going on ) on the taxpayor funded field below, imo. All this being said, I 've found most Corps are ok with fan attendance at practices. They might request you take no pictures, nor videos of their preseason practices, and if you comply with this request, you'll probably be able to watch and observe their practice without any problems at all.

In California, you will find that most public schools now have tall fences around all school facilities and expressly prohibit use of any of their facilities without prior approval (for safety and liability reasons). I expect that if a school or corps wanted to prevent people from entering campus, they could.

That said, the Blue Devils and the Vanguard have always been open to observers. If one has never been to Mars, you should make the visit to a rehearsal if you ever have the opportunity. In fact, this Saturday, they are looking for people to help work at the site (mostly pulling weeds and other "yard work"). What better background entertainment while working than both the A and B corps practicing. It would certainly be better than working at home, right?

In California, you will find that most public schools now have tall fences around all school facilities and expressly prohibit use of any of their facilities without prior approval (for safety and liability reasons).

Oh, the irony of learning of Calif. politicians deciding to build tall fences to wall off any unapproved anauthorizeds from getting thru to areas the Calif. politicians believe they do not belong in...... and citing " safety reasons " as one of the rationales.

Edited by BRASSO

Oh, the irony of learning of Calif. politicians deciding to build tall fences to wall off any anauthorizeds from getting thru to areas the Calif. politicians believe they do not belong.

Maybe the CA gangs should file a discrimination suit.

Edited by Ghost

Maybe the CA gangs should file a discrimination suit.

I think most of the younger gang members want to get out of the school facilities..... not into it..

Edited by BRASSO

Oh, the irony of learning of Calif. politicians deciding to build tall fences to wall off any unapproved anauthorizeds from getting thru to areas the Calif. politicians believe they do not belong in...... and citing " safety reasons " as one of the rationales.

Ive seen it there also BUt have seen in in other places . Ive also rented public facilities like schools and because I paid had the option of not letting anyone in. Most corps will let spectators in to watch. Sometimes when this happens it's not the corps but the strict rules of the host, along with many other rules.

Often corps don't have much of a choice ( paying or not )

Edited by GUARDLING

. Ive also rented public facilities like schools and because I paid had the option of not letting anyone in.

Maye.. maybe not. Unless its been legally tested before a judge, I would not assume if I was you that you had the " right to not let anyone in ". For just one example, and one that includes a most recent and topical, & relevant issue regarding this, if a self identified transgender, not afiliated with your Corps, approached your rented faciliity, and demanded to utilize the men's room, you could not legally prevent them from entering your rented public facility and prohibiting them from using that public facility Men's room ,... except in 8 current states. You are aware of this, correct ?

Edited by BRASSO

For the record, unless I'm mistaken ( possible.. but doubtful ) if a Corps not based in a community, rents out a public school's field for practice, they are entitled to exclusively use the facility of that school and under the agreed to facility usage. However, if a local tax payor citizen of that community wants to use the outside track that runs around that practice field, the corps would have no legal right to prohibit that local taxpayor citizen from running around that public track in their community that he or she pays for... irrespective of what the school and the Corps agreement might specify. And once a person is inside the school grounds, it sure would seem near impossible to me to determine who was a local taxpayor and who is not... unless the Corps hired private security to check on the ID's of those entering the public facility. In the end however, this is an exercise in thought only, as most Corps today do allow fans to attend their practices, particularly the Corps practices that are conducted outdoors.

Edited by BRASSO

For the record, unless I'm mistaken ( possible.. but doubtful ) if a Corps not based in a community, rents out a public school's field for practice, they are entitled to exclusively use the facility of that school and under the agreed to facility usage. However, if a local tax payor citizen of that community wants to use the outside track that runs around that practice field, the corps would have no legal right to prohibit that local taxpayor citizen from running around that public track in their community that he or she pays for... irrespective of what the school and the Corps agreement might specify. And once a person is inside the school grounds, it sure would seem near impossible to me to determine who was a local taxpayor and who is not... unless the Corps hired private security to check on the ID's of those entering the public facility. In the end however, this is an exercise in thought only, as most Corps today do allow fans to attend their practices, particularly the Corps practices that are conducted outdoors.

Who knows the actual law and i doubt anyone would challenge it ( maybe who knows today ) But i have also rented indoor places and when presenting liability insurance often it says we were responsible for all entering. With that said yes most allow but I hvae also been places where the gate was closed and a sign up that said closed to public. Legal or not I dont remember anyone nit picking for the day or 2 we were there. If someone wanted to run the track its usually a lone person and let in.

I don't think it's to much of a big deal either way.

Maye.. maybe not. Unless its been legally tested before a judge, I would not assume if I was you that you had the " right to not let anyone in ". For just one example, and one that includes a most recent and topical, & relevant issue regarding this, if a self identified transgender, not afiliated with your Corps, approached your rented faciliity, and demanded to utilize the men's room, you could not legally prevent them from entering your rented public facility and prohibiting them from using that public facility Men's room ,... except in 8 current states. You are aware of this, correct ?

As I said , Im not sure of the law but I do know many schools today rent facilities out for private events, church, weddings, many many and sometimes odd things..lol

As far as the 8 states, that thread went no where so YES very aware but not getting into that..lol

Many times a corps will send a message out to the community to come a specific night sometimes with a show and tell.

Doesnt seem to be much of an issue either way. Seen both happen without issue

Edited by GUARDLING

You can see BD B rehearsing on mars in google maps!

Edited by gabe211
  • Like 1