Stories?

Any crazy bus stories?

Strange stories on tour?

Bus or Coach?

Any crazy bus stories?

Strange stories on tour?

Bus or Coach?

Before loading buses for an early morning departure for a trip, several of us vets removed a heavy manhole cover and had a rookie go down the metal ladder to the depths to check things out and let us know what was actually down there.

When he got to the bottom of the ladder steps, we put the manhole cover back on the hole...................boarded the buses and left. Never knew what happened to him, never saw him again.

• Like 1

I once swallowed a fly (during mark time hut) and thought I would die (was DM and expected to shout) so I went to plan B and clapped the cadence during that drum corps show at the CNE. Bus stories? I was good at reading a map and helped drivers throughout our 1977 tour of Europe. In 1978, we toured the west coast. Our driver panicked in LA! I matched clover leaf after clover leaf on the map to where we had to be and told him when to turn. We got to destination ok. Navigator and driver said hooray! ... and Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Edited by lindap
  • Like 3

I know this is a DCI forum topic.....but all those Sunriser alumni know what I'm talking about. I would say only 2 words....Naked Bus Ride....oh sorry that's 3 words. As Fran would say bus stories about the Sunrisers have to stay in the vault or people will go to jail.

Edited by Bucbari
  • Like 1

I know this is a DCI forum topic.....but all those Sunriser alumni know what I'm talking about. I would say only 2 words....Naked Bus Ride....oh sorry that's 3 words. As Fran would say bus stories about the Sunrisers have to stay in the vault or people will go to jail.

Correct. :tongue:

My general advice these days to anyone currently in an all-age corps is... don't ever do what we did back in the day. LOL.

• Like 1

Our corps was in Butler (1973 or 74) and we were rehearsing at some crappy field when CD of A pulls up. The staff walks over to our staff and says, "This is our field and you need to leave!" Our director says to them, "you tell the guys in the corps to leave!" The looked a bit lost, said some naughty words, sat by their buses (of All Girls) and waited till we were done. LOL

• Like 1

Montreal 1982, I was working with the Renegades (NY) and had a spirited tackle football game against the Glassmen. We won and I think some staff members got hurt. I was told I hurt them but don't remember. I know they double teamed me and...oh yeh, I just got out of the Army the summer before. LOL

• Like 1

OK.... a bus story I can share without worrying about a statute of limitations...LOL...

This happened during the Sunrisers' trip to Midland, PA, in 1980 for a DCA show on July 4th weekend. A trip that generated several of the best "war stories" in our corps' history, most of which I won't put here, for the reasons stated in previous posts. :tongue:

Long story short... well into our trip home from that very long and very bizarre weekend, one of my friends and I realized that every time we'd reach into his cooler for a beer, just when it seemed that the cooler was completely empty... nothing but ice and water... we'd find another beer. Every time.

We dubbed it the Magic Cooler. :lol:

I mean, it was uncanny. Every single time we reached in, there was beer, against all odds.

It was as if someone was down below in the bus bays, feeding beers into the cooler. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

There also was the traffic circle in Midland that apparently you could not navigate unless you lived there. LOL.

I remember us and at least one other corps... our buses going around and around in that circle, several times, before figuring out how to get out and get on our way. :tongue:

There also was the traffic circle in Midland that apparently you could not navigate unless you lived there. LOL.

I remember us and at least one other corps... our buses going around and around in that circle, several times, before figuring out how to get out and get on our way. :tongue:

Was good with maps and could read 3-4 languages. Wasn't much of a talkative type and was a doer. When we toured Europe, I remember being woken up on the bus by one of the girls.

She said "Wake up! We need you. We're going round and round in circles. We're lost. We keep passing the town of Ausgang"

I said "Ausgang means exit! No worry. We're on track" and continued my much needed nap. Oh the stories of a marching DM/guard/drill instructor with many hats LOL

• Like 4