Blue Devils 2016

I'm not talking. Actually it was too cold out there to stick around and watch a run-through.

They don't have their props made yet so they used benches all over the field. Trombones will be marched. Some pretty cool stuff. The Beiber is gonna be way cool.

• Like 1

I'm not talking. Actually it was too cold out there to stick around and watch a run-through.

They don't have their props made yet so they used benches all over the field. Trombones will be marched. Some pretty cool stuff. The Beiber is gonna be way cool.

Trombones will be marched? Interesting decision.

Yea I'm kind of on the fence about that but they are doing some really cool drill. They were only doing air and drums and then marched to a recording of the show. The screamer from last year is back and he is even better. He is going to Berklee. I also heard our snare phenom might be going there too. I notice that the slides on the bones point downward a little I think maybe it's to they can point the bell up at the box and not have to slide upward? All the horns are super shiny. BDB's hornline is really good. They sound great out on the other field.

Because that was the general consensus on the road that year. Look at the archives of this site to see the level of disregard for that show.

Look, I'm not communicating what I am trying to say here very effectively. For that, I apologize. What I mean by a lot of people not "getting it" isn't meant a dig or a sleight; I simply mean that a lot of folks were not aware of the context of the show. The premise of it was based on the story from the film (which was adapted from a book) "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?", which had very era specific dialogue that BD used in their show that year. Without that context, I can understand how the "Yowza's" would be annoying. Also, people were split on narration in a show at that time, so it didn't help BD's cause.

All I am trying to say is that the show needed some context, and with it, the show may have been better received that season.

They could have borrowed a page out of the Phantom Regiment handbook and handed out librettos.

They could have borrowed a page out of the Phantom Regiment handbook and handed out librettos.

Ahem...or Cadets a decade prior to Regiment. We passed them out to the audience in 1971, actually. :cool:

The Cadets of Garfield are attempting to add an extra dimension to their routine this season through introduction of a story line based on America's struggle for Independence – 1776. This is not an easy task, since the Cadets must work without the benefit of spoken dialogue, scenery, costumes, or the special theatrical effects of the stage. Instead, the story line must be developed exclusively through choice of musical selections, sequence of presentation and coordination of drill and visual effects. In addition, they must somehow capture the imagination of their audience, and transport several thousand people back in time to another era. The period is 1776…thirteen proud, rebellious colonies, thirsting for collective identity and poised on the precipice of revolution.

As the Cadets assume their positions on the starting line they are divided into two separate segments. To the right the British Forces of King George (heavy horns), to the left the American Colonists (sopranos). Times are troubled, and Garfield's story opens with the sound of drums and a burst of flags heralding the end of an era. Listen carefully for the prophetic tympani sounds of "LONDON BRIDGE'S FALLING DOWN" meshed into the percussion introduction. The British enter, then the Americans, and both sides combine to introduce the stirring theme of "YANKEE DOODLE". This unity of purpose and presentation is not destined to endure though, and as the final notes of "Yankee Doodle" echo into the bleachers the two segments split, and with heavy hearts and questioning minds drift apart to the sad lament of "CHACONNE IN Eb." For a second time drums command attention, as the simulated sight and sound of cannons with coordinated rifle drill transport us to Bunker Hill, and we witness the "Shots heard ‘round the world." At this point even a deceptively light-hearted social function becomes tinged with tension and challenge as the British "MINUET," the Americans "HOEDOWN," and "THE WORLD TURNS UPSIDE DOWN." The die is cast…..Revolution!!!…..and events begin to move ever more compellingly towards their chilling climax. To the tune of "THIS CRUEL WAR" both sides move to opposing sides of the field. The Americans, executing "CHESTER," drill and prepare for attack in the far right corner. The British meanwhile move to midfield to establish a sideline "CHRISTMAS EVE" encampment to a symbolic "SILENT NIGHT" carol medley in preparation for reenactment of the historical "Battle of Trenton." "Chester" builds into a direct challenge, answered by the awesome power and majesty of "RULE BRITANNIA." Both formations now break and expand as the two armies move towards each other, "AMERICA" and "RULE BRITANNIA" ringing in our ears. Simulated infantry lines drop to their knees…fire …withdraw…reload…advance…fire again, until the battle banners clash head on, while the sound of drums crescendo into the dizzying, frightening, overwhelming sounds of battle. Once again the formation shifts, as the horns make their tumultuous contribution to the conflict. One by one brave men fall – a final cavalry charge – then silence…..

Faintly, a soft chorale of horns cries up from the battlefield, and the graves of heroes give birth to a new Nation. Free men stand for the first time as Americans, while a funeral dirge of drums echoes a final farewell to the past. A new nation celebrates the joy of self-discovery in concert with Ives' "VARIATIONS ON AMERICA." Subtly the concert formation shifts. "America" soars into the familiar and spine tingling "BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC," and the flags of two great Nations are presented in their most familiar context…emblems of peace. This completes our story, and as Garfield prepares to exit, the dreams of mankind for dignity, freedom and self-determination are given expression in John F. Kennedy's moving musical memorial, "PROFILES IN COURAGE." One final statement of theme and reminder of origin in "YANKEE DOODLE," and the Cadets, preceded by the flags of Great Britain and America fluttering side by side in the breeze, cross the finish line.

The Beiber is gonna be way cool.

Those are honestly words I never that I would read in a drum corps forum.

I can say though, when I heard that Spirit was playing Poker Face a few years ago I was skeptical, and it ended up being one of my favorite moments by them in recent years.