Blue Devils 2016

It's subtle, based on a YouTube vid I saw. Sounds like they changed the lead-in to the middle part of the lead sops big entrance. Sounds like a easier setup to one of the high notes. In drum line vernacular they'd call it a check pattern, if you will. A little less risky, perhaps. Brass experts would know better.

Posted today.....hopefully I'm wrong, but I've never heard this particular tweek so I believe it's new. Check it out....

https://youtu.be/quf_gBU2tRk

That sounds so much better than before.

It's subtle, based on a YouTube vid I saw. Sounds like they changed the lead-in to the middle part of the lead sops big entrance. Sounds like a easier setup to one of the high notes. In drum line vernacular they'd call it a check pattern, if you will. A little less risky, perhaps. Brass experts would know better.

Posted today.....hopefully I'm wrong, but I've never heard this particular tweek so I believe it's new. Check it out....

https://youtu.be/quf_gBU2tRk

Woah. They changed WAY more than just the lead-in you were referring to. Many of the sops parts and some of the low brass parts have been changed to make the ballad more... complex. Many of the half/whole note parts have been changed a bit for more layering. If they can get some more dynamic contrast in later in the season, I think it'll sound pretty good, but I'm a little iffy on it right now since it sounds so different.

As for the lead-in that you were referring to, I agree with jjeffeory. Sounds WAYY better. It may take away a little bit of the difficulty, but it fits in with the rest of the ballad better than the old one.

Also, just want to say their hornline as a whole sounds amazing. Those contras sound really strong.

• Like 1

They have been wanting these kind of players for a long time John Meehan said in the "conversations with" video posted today.

I have seen every hornline since 1970 and this is the best one yet.

• Like 1

Woah. They changed WAY more than just the lead-in you were referring to. Many of the sops parts and some of the low brass parts have been changed to make the ballad more... complex. Many of the half/whole note parts have been changed a bit for more layering. If they can get some more dynamic contrast in later in the season, I think it'll sound pretty good, but I'm a little iffy on it right now since it sounds so different.

As for the lead-in that you were referring to, I agree with jjeffeory. Sounds WAYY better. It may take away a little bit of the difficulty, but it fits in with the rest of the ballad better than the old one.

Also, just want to say their hornline as a whole sounds amazing. Those contras sound really strong.

I'll definitely listen a few more times and listen for what you referred to. I have a drummers ear so some of the brass nuances escape me. My knee-jerk response was negative, but I'll get over that soon enough.

I'll definitely listen a few more times and listen for what you referred to. I have a drummers ear so some of the brass nuances escape me. My knee-jerk response was negative, but I'll get over that soon enough.

I can see it being difficult to pick up from a percussionist's ear. I wouldn't be able to tell a single difference if a snare part was changed.

Yeah, sometimes change can be hard to accept when it happens. Just takes some time to get used to it

Looks like they are having a great time with BK and Madison. Saw some footage of everyone cheering each other on while BK played Pretty Baby for BD.

There will be an alumni mixer before the Rose Bowl show. I am not an alumni of this group so I'm not going to say which corps (heh heh) or where the mixer will be held. If you can put 2+2 together you can figure out where and when. I'm bringing lots of booze and brew-dizzogs. So come party with Tapper at an undisclosed location and time AT/NEAR the Rose Bowl, then join me for a little bit of Madison in my life and and smattering of Devs super sweet! //end cryptic rant... Oh yeah BUMP! Go Concord!!!!

I really have to give kudos to the Blue Devils for the sheer cleverness and originality that they show us constantly in this activity.

For just one example, BD has won some recent titles for themselves in no small part with some outstanding and highly creative staging of their performers in their shows in recent years. Just when other Corps have begun to copy this platform staging model visually, BD, almost anticipating this, decides this year to go in another refreshing direction. Say what we will with the 2016 BD show, but it is almost devoid of large props now, nor does it relie as much on platform staging of their performers. That visual aspect has been toned down significantly this year.

What I am seeing from the Blue Devils this year, is a much much more musical creative show than I have recently heard from them. Melody and harmony are back with BD in this season's offerings. The chop and bop brass arrangements a thing of the past. The songs are longer in length . I like this. A lot. No Corps is more effectively utilizing the now approved trombones better than the Blue Devils, imo. The sound is not as artificially created as with others, and when the sound machines are utilized it is not overdone, nor obtrusive volume wise. The trombone sound has allowed BD to drop down in pitch some of their song endings in a most appealing manner to me. The sound of the trombones provides a richness, depth, to the sound of the other instruments that works well for them. This is my most favorite Musical show from the Blue Devils in many a year for me. I have been very critical of BD in the past for some of their music they've played.. even years when they have won. But this years brass arrangements, coupled with the well coordinated percussion arrangements with the music, makes for a highly enjoyable show from them this year with me. I believe that the post season DVD's, Blurays of this season's 2016 show will be a hit with these fine music arrangements with most unbiased Drum Corps fans too. And I thought I'd just come onto the Blue Devils thread today and let you guys here know this.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

I really have to give kudos to the Blue Devils for the sheer cleverness sand originality that they show us constantly in this activity.

For just one example, BD has won some recent titles for themselves in no small part with some outstanding and highly creative staging of their performers in their shows in recent years. Just when other Corps have begun to copy this platform staging model visually, BD, almost anticipating this, decides this year to go in another refreshing direction. Say what we will with the 2016 BD show, but it is almost devoid of large props now, nor does it relie as much on platform staging of their performers. That visual aspect has been toned down significantly this year.

What I am seeing from the Blue Devils this year, is a much much more musical creative show than I have recently heard from them. Melody and harmony is back with BD in this season's offerings. The chop and bop brass arrangements a thing of the past. The songs are longer in length . I like this. A lot. No Corps is more effectivbely utilizing the now approved trombones better than the Blue Devils. The sound is not as artificially created as with others, and when the sound machines are utilized it is not overdone, nor obtrusive volume wise. The trombone sound has allowed BD to drop in pitch dome of their song endings in a most appewaling way to me. The sound of the trombones provides a richness, depth, to the sound of the other instruments that works well for them. This is my most favorite Musical show from the Blue Devils in many a year for me. I have been very critical of BD in the past for some of their music they've played.. even years when they have won. But this years brass arrangements, coupled with the well coordinated percussion arrangements with the music, makes for a highly enjoyable show from them this year with me. And I thought I'd just come onto the Blue Devils thread today and let you guys here know this.

Post of the year!