Which 1970's 13th Place Corps...?

Deserved to be in the top 12 during the 1970's? How about the 80's?

1972 Garfield Cadets probably should have been finalists. (4th M & M, 8th percussion, 12th brass, 11th GE....the only 13th place corps to be top 12 in all captions.)

If 1973 De La Salle Oaklands had a better hornline.......

If 1975 Squires had better percussion and horns........

If 1976 Troopers had more GE........

We already had 13 finalists in 1977

If 1978 Freelancers had a better hornline......

If 1979 Crossmen could have marched better.........

1974 Polish Falcon Cadets were TOO far away from 12th.

• Like 1

1972 Garfield Cadets probably should have been finalists. (4th M & M, 8th percussion, 12th brass, 11th GE....the only 13th place corps to be top 12 in all captions.)

1974 Polish Falcon Cadets were TOO far away from 12th.

I just have never understood the Polish Falcons score that year. I recently posted about their show that year in another topic. I saw them in prelims and thought they deserved better.

I think Mike Davis has posted elsewhere that the Cadets that year had penalties that kept them out of Finals.

I just have never understood the Polish Falcons score that year. I recently posted about their show that year in another topic. I saw them in prelims and thought they deserved better.

When you look at the recaps you wonder how they were as close as they were.....16th M & M, 19th percussion, 20th brass.

Then again, 1974 was the year the Blue Stars took 12th place at finals despite being 8th in M & M, 8th in brass and 10th in GE.

Edited by Northern Thunder

I think the single biggest surprise may have been Crossmen not making finals in 79.

They had seasonal head-to-head advantages over three DCI finalists....27th Lancers, Bridgemen and Cavaliers, while also having multiple victories over finalists North Star and the Blue Stars.

Seems like no other non-finalist beat as many finalists as many times as Crossmen did in 79.

It is no coincidence that these strange outcomes came in the "Age of the Tic", in fact, they constituted a major impetus to find a more balanced and objective system, a goal not fully realized even now, perhaps.

Great point.

Man... there were some wild score swings back in the day. In captions and overall scores.

In particular, some of those scores in the days when prelims and finals (at various big shows) were held on the same day, with a more random, non-seeded lineup at prelims... it was like two different worlds colliding. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

I am not sure which system was better LOL! I liked that BITD there were changes in scores and placement, it made competition interesting for sure. Today you can be 98% sure you know who will win a show or even championships. How many times in the last 20 years did a corps come out of nowhere and win DCI Championships? Maybe once or twice MAYBE! Also penalties aren't a huge factor in the outcome either. How many corps in the last 20 years had penalties of more than 2 points?