Yankee Rebels?

I'm going with 1969.

The first year of their groundbreaking "Requiem for an Era" color presentation production. To the best of my knowledge, it was the first time a competition drum corps had used a "split" corps and simultaneous multiple tempos the way they did.

A great corps.... and IMO, better than some of the scores they received that year.

• Like 4

I saw them at a show in Lockport NY with Crusaders but don't remember who else was there (maybe Cabs). May have been 1976

• Like 1

I saw them at a show in Lockport NY with Crusaders but don't remember who else was there (maybe Cabs). May have been 1976

In particular, YR's percussion section was the real deal back then... all the way through 1976.

Great staff, including John Flowers and Rodney Goodhart.

• Like 2

>>The first year of their groundbreaking "Requiem for an Era" color presentation production. To the best of my knowledge, it was the first time a competition drum corps had used a "split" corps and simultaneous multiple tempos the way they did.<<

I dunno ... when I was in Sky, we did that all the time ... and it wasn't even planned!!!!!

LOL ...

Winky's fav saying: "When in doubt ... turn about"!!!!!

:-)

My first year marching we had Bill McGrath writing and teaching our drill. What a treat! I later worked with Bill Jr. with Rochester Patriots. Great man too!

• Like 1

You can't mention the Yankee Rebels without remembering their shows at the Dream Contest in the late 60's maybe early 70's.

It was like the civil war never ended, and the judges were not going to let the grey boys win.

The Yankee Rebels really knew how to entertain the crowds.

• Like 1

You can't mention the Yankee Rebels without remembering their shows at the Dream Contest in the late 60's maybe early 70's.

It was like the civil war never ended, and the judges were not going to let the grey boys win.

The Yankee Rebels really knew how to entertain the crowds.

I hear ya... YR definitely paid the "outsider penalty" a few times back then. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring

The first time I attended the Dream was in 1963, at the suggestion of a high school buddy from Jersey who marched in our Xavier corps as well as with the Rough Riders, a parade unit from the other side of the Hudson.

Traveling from Queens to Roosevelt Stadium via public transportation on a Sunday in August took two forevers and felt like going to another planet. We had great seats, right smack on the 50, surrounded by the nuns and priests.

When the Yankee Rebels tore into "The Stripper", complete with choreography, the reaction all around us was "out of this world", believe me. Some of the nuns were hiding their faces while others clapped on 2 and 4 along with many of the priests. A young novice in front of us was swaying back and forth until Mother Superior gave her a sharp poke in the ribs.

I was convinced I had landed on Mars, and there was life there.

• Like 2