Yankee Rebels?

When was the BEST? Depends on what you mean?

For me. It was 1969. The year a Full concept (theme) show was done for the FIRST TIME. All Music, and Drill for Two Units. Special Uniforms for Guard. Special Flags for Guard. TWO Guard Captain's, one for each Guard. (Confederate and Union in each area.)

I sat there in the stand's about 1/2 way up at 40 yard line, wondering how that was going to go over. Here at "The Dream" in Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ (Yankee Land, USA) Well at the end of their show. The place went NUTS. BOZO. CRAZY. On their feet. Yelling, Screaming, Crying in APPROVAL. As was I. Then after sitting down. I remembered. American Legion National's were in ATLANTA, GEORGIA. I wondered how will this go down "THERE" of all place's. I had a seat 2nd level, front row, on 45 yard line. Grant Field at Georgia Tech. (Remember who won the war?) Well the Y-R show got the SAME response as in Jersey City, NJ. The ONLY difference was Y-R came in 2nd at the Dream in Jersey City, and FIRST at American Legion Nationals in ATLANTA.

To me. "Requiem for an Era" - THAT SHOW, that year, what they did, was one, I will always remember as the BEST.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

I always dug their cadence "anything goes". Loved the marching keyboards and rudi basses great visuals.

• Like 1

You can't mention the Yankee Rebels without remembering their shows at the Dream Contest in the late 60's maybe early 70's.

It was like the civil war never ended, and the judges were not going to let the grey boys win.

The Yankee Rebels really knew how to entertain the crowds.

Yankee Rebels Early 1960's

1962 and 1963 saw them "Rise to the Top" in pre DCA competition. They managed to defeat ALL the powers of that time EXCEPT the Caballeros.

Their performances at the "Dream' show those seasons were fantastic.

Elphaba

• Like 1

Gotta be Rquiem. By 76 they were trying to be civil war yet not civil war.

Ditto on Anything Goes cadence.... high on my "wish I had a recording" list......

Up there with Buccs "Sailors Horn Pipe" from about the same era...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Requiem for an Era was one of my all-time favorite shows,(from a list of 100 shows that I rated as "the best ever". LOL Some old-time told me that when the Yankee-Rebels played that show at the Legion Natls in Seattle (/) the standing ovation lasted an eternity. There is probably some poor soul still standing there clapping. Likely a veteran.

Ditto on Anything Goes cadence.... high on my "wish I had a recording" list......

Up there with Buccs "Sailors Horn Pipe" from about the same era...

We're from the same era Jim :thumbup: