Letter from Tresona

https://semichorus.wordpress.com/2016/04/21/bhs-music-department-being-sued-for-copyright-infringement/Speaking of Tresona being unhappy with (and suing) a large choral group:

So here ya go, all doubters of legality of licensing, let's see how this plays out: a non-profit scholastic program who brazenly didn't feel the need to pay any licensing fees getting sued

To be honest, that group deserves whatever wrath Tresona sees fit to bring on them.

https://semichorus.wordpress.com/2016/04/21/bhs-music-department-being-sued-for-copyright-infringement/Speaking of Tresona being unhappy with (and suing) a large choral group:

So here ya go, all doubters of legality of licensing, let's see how this plays out: a non-profit scholastic program who brazenly didn't feel the need to pay any licensing fees getting sued

When I click on the link it takes me to a short video showing Chris 'thrill up my leg' Matthews. I had to type music department being sued in the search box to get to the article. Anyway, here is the only info I needed to know in order to form an opinion:

( The promotional company Burbank High School Vocal Music Association which is the operator of the famous Burbank Show Choirs, the host of the Burbank Blast Show Choir, along with the Burbank’s show choir director Brett Carroll, just in the past year, spent $98,000 on costumes, $40,000 for choreographers, $198,000 on other outside services,’ $40,000 on arrangers, and $89,000 on travel expenses. However, they did not obtained any custom arrangement licenses for the music they performed at shows all over the country. )

Just like DCI, BOA, and WGI, this situation does not, should not, and must not fall under the Copyright Educational Exemption. In a case like this financial protection for the Copyright Holders must and should occur even if it takes a lawsuit to get just compensation to the Copyright Holders. All the expenses paid to arrangers and choreographers, along with the subsequent public performances of those works all over the country, thus nullifies any 'Educational' justification.

• Like 1

When I click on the link it takes me to a short video showing Chris 'thrill up my leg' Matthews. I had to type music department being sued in the search box to get to the article. Anyway, here is the only info I needed to know in order to form an opinion:

( The promotional company Burbank High School Vocal Music Association which is the operator of the famous Burbank Show Choirs, the host of the Burbank Blast Show Choir, along with the Burbanks show choir director Brett Carroll, just in the past year, spent $98,000 on costumes, $40,000 for choreographers, $198,000 on other outside services, $40,000 on arrangers, and $89,000 on travel expenses. However, they did not obtained any custom arrangement licenses for the music they performed at shows all over the country. )

Just like DCI, BOA, and WGI, this situation does not, should not, and must not fall under the Copyright Educational Exemption. In a case like this financial protection for the Copyright Holders must and should occur even if it takes a lawsuit to get just compensation to the Copyright Holders. All the expenses paid to arrangers and choreographers, along with the subsequent public performances of those works all over the country, thus nullifies any 'Educational' justification.

They spend $40,000 on arrangers, and they don't pay fir rights, and those arrangers are willing to write without making sure that clearances have been obtained?

For one, that's moronic they spend like that and don't obtain rights, and second, how dumb can the arrangers be to be willing to risk their name and livelihood on this.

I have no sympathy whatsoever.

• Like 1

To pile on the seeming bad news of this issue:

http://www.chartattack.com/news/2016/01/20/old-music-is-outselling-new-music-for-the-first-time-in-history/

According to that article, based on the Nielsen report, in 2015 music catalogue sales (album/track that came out 18 or more months ago) OLD SOLD modern/current music by 4+ million units. Labels' back catalogue is making substantially more money than current music. This would likely mean that rights holders will likely be VERY zealous about guarding their rights in order to ensure as high a profit margin as possible, especially if the modern stuff (i.e. the stuff just breaking on the radio/TV/internet) isn't as profitable.

They spend $40,000 on arrangers, and they don't pay fir rights, and those arrangers are willing to write without making sure that clearances have been obtained?

For one, that's moronic they spend like that and don't obtain rights, and second, how dumb can the arrangers be to be willing to risk their name and livelihood on this.

I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Arrangers themselves aren't required to secure the rights, the group is. Though many arranges will include rights acquisition as part of their service (I've done it both ways). My contracts state that if you chose to secure the rights yourself, you still pay me if there's a problem later.

Not as I remember it. Before the blowup, the Fan Network years were retained online in their entirety, from top to bottom. If there was a cost issue back then, they would have thinned the herd back then.

The legacy years only had top 12 video, but that is likely because that is what was easily accessible. Open class finalist video was also online for a couple of pre-FN seasons.

nothing below 12th place was on the fan network

. Anyone noticed that the Cinema shows for 2016 have not been announced recently by DCI? No info is on their website, and on their facebook page a fan asked about it and got the "there is no information at this time" response.

The carrier pigeons with the info got temporarily lost on the way to the DCI HQ.... but the GPS got the birds back on track, and so now this info is out to the public, I believe.