Memories of Rochester Corps (DCA)

Seems hard to believe: " Rochester Crusaders " - " Empire Statesmen " - " Rochester Phoenix " , All Gone BUT Never will be Forgotten !

Edited by 2B or not 2B

I remember going to Hershey in 75 or 76 when I was ten years old and seeing Phoenix. i was 10 years old but I remember my Dad saying who are these guys and he knew all the corps who had been around in the 60's . Apparently in those days new corps didn't just pop up and especially not at the Hershey shows. I think I saw Empire at an ICA championship in Baltimore a few years later and remembered then for not wearing hats (this must have been their first year that is the only reason that I can imagine that they were at ICA)

>>upsetting the DCA banned Hawthorne Caballeros for the 1965 AL Nats<<

Wow Elphie ... a little harsh with the DCA banned ref ... as I recall, it was a self-imposed exile ... I remember a DCN article where Father Louie from St. Raphael's tried to play "peace maker" in 63 or 64 ... tense times in the early years of DCA ...

You going to St. Ann's Reunion in August? Luncheon at the Norden Club ...

:-)

>>upsetting the DCA banned Hawthorne Caballeros for the 1965 AL Nats<<

Wow Elphie ... a little harsh with the DCA banned ref ... as I recall, it was a self-imposed exile ... I remember a DCN article where Father Louie from St. Raphael's tried to play "peace maker" in 63 or 64 ... tense times in the early years of DCA ...

You going to St. Ann's Reunion in August? Luncheon at the Norden Club ...

:-)

"Banned": vs "Self Imposed"

You are most likely correct. I remember words like "Blacklisted" and "Banned" (As well as a few very LESS "Complimentary" adjectives being tossed around back then) concerning Hawthorne Caballeros absence from DCA competitions in 1964 and 1965.

Just can't make any reunions/gatherings of my old Bridgeport's juniors this year. ((:

Thanks for the heads up.

Elphaba

I'd say Costello-imposed... considering the effort put forth by both parties at the meeting brought by Doc Sebastianelli and featuring a major American Legion peace maker to bring the parties together - which basically meant Lefty and Cos in the same room... The truce brokered in this meeting brought both Cabs and Brigadiers to the '66 DCA championship and this uneasy truce was followed by the choice of the one man they both respected to take over as President for the '67 season, Vince Bruni - this move toward an acceptable neutral party guaranteed that the fledgling organization that was DCA would survive and grow.

• Like 3

I'd say Costello-imposed... considering the effort put forth by both parties at the meeting brought by Doc Sebastianelli and featuring a major American Legion peace maker to bring the parties together - which basically meant Lefty and Cos in the same room... The truce brokered in this meeting brought both Cabs and Brigadiers to the '66 DCA championship and this uneasy truce was followed by the choice of the one man they both respected to take over as President for the '67 season, Vince Bruni - this move toward an acceptable neutral party guaranteed that the fledgling organization that was DCA would survive and grow.

'66 was Sun's first year in, too.

A big step up for them. They had really started making a name for themselves on the national senior corps scene in 1963, when they picked up a bunch of folks from the Queensmen, among other corps.

The Sasso brothers.... Bill Hightower... Frank Dorritie....Bill Cobham, among others.

Without that influx, I wonder if the Sunrisers would have ever moved past the status of being just a small local corps.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Some of the greatest talent in drum corps history came out of the Rochester area. To the list of names already posted, one could add another twenty or so! And not just performing talent, but knowledge in managing corps.

My first exposure to drum corps was at Fort Ontario, Oswego, circa 1964. In addition to the Commanders, Brigs, Gauchos, Westshoremen Bonnie-Scots, Albion Grenadiers, the Crusaders were there. I still remember the "Gestapo" hats. LOL Anyway, I was smitten. I knew drum corps had to be a part of my life.

Fast forward to the "Tie-breaker" in Buffalo 2001 I think. It was Brigs vs. Empire and Cadets vs. the Cavvies. Great show! The show sponsor would not let the Brigs do a victory concert on the field. So we went to a nearby tennis court, arced up the corps in concert formation and played to the Cavaliers lined up on one fence and the Cadets lined up on another. The applause those two corps gave to the Brigadiers will be remembered til my dying day.

Nothing but wonderful memories for Rochester and all of it's drum corps history.

true Fran and don't forget they soon had some snot nosed kid playing a pretty decent horn too...

What was his name?

oh yeah

Wayne Downey

What was his first year with the corps?

Tom- I'm not sure of Wayne's first year in the activity, but didn't he march SCV as a kid?

true Fran and don't forget they soon had some snot nosed kid playing a pretty decent horn too...

What was his name?

oh yeah

Wayne Downey

What was his first year with the corps?

1969 was his first and only year with Sunrisers, from what I remember. He was with the Smithtown Freelancers on Long Island before joining Sun.

He then moved out to California... and the rest, as the saying goes, is history!!!

Edited by Fran Haring