Memories of Rochester Corps (DCA)

>>He then moved out to California... and the rest, as the saying goes, is history!!!<<

As I recall, Wayne didn't get to finish out the 69 season with Sun ... FTD probably knows the details ... but ... interesting bit of trivia: both Sun and Santa Clara played Procession of the Nobles for an OTL ... and (again, Frank can verify) Downey, I think, played the solo in both corps ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

So - as usual - it's all Frankie Dorrite's fault? lol

• Like 1

Speaking of Frank... congratulations to him on his upcoming induction into the DCI Hall of Fame!!!

Speaking of Frank... congratulations to him on his upcoming induction into the DCI Hall of Fame!!!

:ninja::withstupid:

Pat

thanks for the reminder Fran

YES... big congrats to Frank Dorrite 2016 DCI Hall of Fame Class

• Like 1

I marched with a Jr Corps where Vince Bruni was director and David was our Drum Major. I went in the Marine Corps after the 82 season otherwise I would have been with Statesmen that first year. It took me 27 years but I FINALLY got to be a part of the Statesmen family. Favorite memories are the first time I put on that uniform and performed as part of the Corps. Also 2013 (a very bittersweet year) Our first note when we were in Lewisburg and seeing the crowd jumping out of their seats. Also Hornell performing with CorpsVets during the encore and out in the parking lot. Amazing times! The saddest moment was when I took off that uniform after retreat in 2013 knowing it was the last time ever Statesmen would take the field in competition.

On a side note: Props to Cru, I remember seeing them perform back in the late 70's and early 80's impressive bunch of folks!! Rochester had such a rich history of Drum Corps (as did the entire state of NY) Sad to see almost every corps gone. We have to leave it all to the White Sabers to Keep up the NY tradition of Drum Corps excellence.

I marched with a Jr Corps where Vince Bruni was director and David was our Drum Major. I went in the Marine Corps after the 82 season otherwise I would have been with Statesmen that first year. It took me 27 years but I FINALLY got to be a part of the Statesmen family. Favorite memories are the first time I put on that uniform and performed as part of the Corps. Also 2013 (a very bittersweet year) Our first note when we were in Lewisburg and seeing the crowd jumping out of their seats. Also Hornell performing with CorpsVets during the encore and out in the parking lot. Amazing times! The saddest moment was when I took off that uniform after retreat in 2013 knowing it was the last time ever Statesmen would take the field in competition.

On a side note: Props to Cru, I remember seeing them perform back in the late 70's and early 80's impressive bunch of folks!! Rochester had such a rich history of Drum Corps (as did the entire state of NY) Sad to see almost every corps gone. We have to leave it all to the White Sabers to Keep up the NY tradition of Drum Corps excellence.

I think there's another DCA corps still going strong from New York although you up state guys don't relize Long Island is still part of New York Although they like to become the 51st state.

Oh we recognize Long Island as part of New York... it's the Metro New York area we could do without...

and yes, thank you for Sun/White Sabers/Excelsior holding up New York's long standing drum corps history

• Like 2

Thanks for the mention Keith...

I'll share a little known fact... For the 4 years I was director of Cru, everyone kept asking: "How do you survive with two top corps in the same city? Especially since Empire is slugging their way to their first DCA Championship?"

The answer was simple - communications, sound advice and keep it different...

To accomplish this, I did something quite interesting that many would raise their eyebrows at... Almost weekly, I sought out the advice of the most knowledgeable drum corps person I knew - Vince Bruni. I would meet with him in his office or go to lunch and we'd discuss the direction both corps was taking and - most of the time at least - I would take his advice and sage direction. It was he who told me bluntly: "You must offer a difference - different style, different music and different schedule - otherwise, I'll kick your butt all over the field. Porkchop!"

Some of this led to what I called our band director image... While Empire was out recruiting the heck out of the major high school marching band programs, I was out recruiting their band directors and promising them they would never have to worry about babysitting their band kids in my corps. Obviously, it worked - and brought us considerable success. Had we been able to practice the same hours that Empire practiced, we may well have had both Rochester Corps pushing for the DCA Championship, but not having the rehearsal schedule for that we were still able to stay in the top 5 and impress audiences everywhere...

Hi Tom. I went on the Drum Corps Hall of Fame cruise in the spring of 1988 and played with the Empire Statesmen that week, so I am (very) marginally qualified to comment here. I do remember Vince having a meeting with the membership toward the end of the cruise. He said that it was time for everyone to decide if they were in our out for the upcoming season based on the rehearsal and performance schedule. He said in more or less these words - "it's simple - every Saturday and every Sunday from the time we get off the ship until Labor Day - no exceptions". At the same time, he created an environment where people did not want to be anywhere else. You were wise to offer a differentiated alternative.