C2 vs everyone

Kamarag, uummm, the average 16 to 25 year old body is in better shape than the average 26 + year old.

Well, that has nothing to do with your original question. And even if it did, the other corps (including my own) are free to restrict their membership anyway they want. Renegades (and I think Kilties?) have/had a minimum age requirement of 18. Is that also somehow giving them an advantage? Especially since they are cutting 2 years off your optimum age range?

I guess I entered the word "cool" out of Jealousy. I live in Chicago. In Illinois there are 2 DCI corps and then..enter tumbleweed.. No "all age" and a couple of Alumni corps. So I did say cool, not good for all the recruiting.

:ninja:

Larry - I would think that your area could easily operate an "all-age" corps...The stumbling blocks as I've seen over the years is needing that "nucleus" of committed persons willing to invest the time "to do it right". Most of the other versions I've seen in the last 40 years have either tried the "rebirth" of _______(enter corps name here) or have determined to not catch up to what the rest of the circuit has had to do to survive - either from a money or program standpoint.

I have always thought another project from Chicagoland was feasible - and if done correctly - they could make things in the DCA - Central region a heck of a lot more interesting!!

Just my two cents after hanging out for a few decades. :tounge2:

Pat

• Like 1

Well, that has nothing to do with your original question. And even if it did, the other corps (including my own) are free to restrict their membership anyway they want. Renegades (and I think Kilties?) have/had a minimum age requirement of 18. Is that also somehow giving them an advantage? Especially since they are cutting 2 years off your optimum age range?

The Kilties have been under the 18 year old requirement for well over 10 years, with (of course) parental and/or guardian permissions, etc. The corps encourages family members to become involved together---on and off the field.

• Like 1

Sister and I joined Westshore when we were 16. Many contemporaries in the corps were around our ages as well as they signed on in that era.

We took our lumps, then things gelled over time. All of a sudden we had guys like myself and Steve Rook, Chumley, all 20 years oldish and 4-5 years experience.

There were also older people on board, and I wouldn't have had it any other way, personally.

Personally, I think a good mix is important in many ways, maturity, setting examples, encouraging the young person when they're about ready to bag it out of frustration or are down, all apply.

The question might really be whether C2 can gather an experienced enough kernel/nucleus of experienced and capable individuals to build around every year. The last several seasons, it's been a situation that by observation, they've been building that sort of kernel, seemed to be far easier for percussion- brass finally starting to catch up and do some things they badly needed to do.

I don't mean to open a can of worms but I think that's actually a detriment. Bush, C2, Bux, Cabs, Hurcs, Fusion, Sun... I think they're all trying to grab new members from the same pools. Throw in C1, Surf, and Raiders, and while it looks like the area is awesome with so many choices I think it hurts recruiting numbers and dilutes the pool.

It's fairly challenging in the Midwest as well, within a distance of 1 to 4 hour radius and drive time of Racine, as example, there are over a dozen options---all-age/DCA (Kilts), area DCI corps, summer marching band competitive circuit, alumni corps, etc.

My question was all age vs specific age. That was the question that has been answered. Thanks.

Mr. Adcock,

Even though you know I was "trying" to be facetious, do you know that is the factual DCA answer? Maybe no one ever inquired.

It seems a little, dare I say, unfair.

LP

Why?

and why pick on C2?

Why?

and why pick on C2?

Because C2 is currently the only corps that can give Bux a run for their money. Its not membership that will give them a trophy though. It all goes back to show design and setting that membership up for success.

I was 18 when I joined the Long Island Sunrisers for the 1977 season.

We had a bunch of people around my age in the corps... several had been with Sun for a few years, basically from 1974 on, so they were "senior corps veterans" even though they were teenagers or early 20-somethings. LOL.

Some of our competitors referred to us as "kids and girls."

For a bunch of kids and girls, I think we did OK on the competition field. :tongue:

No kidding! Sun was one of my favourite corps in the '70s, along with Buc. I have always enjoyed corps that played mostly "classical" music, like the Dips.

I think Sun had girls (ladies) in the horn and drum lines about the same time as Les Dips, circa '70s - another reason I liked them.

Salut, Bob P.

Because C2 is currently the only corps that can give Bux a run for their money. Its not membership that will give them a trophy though. It all goes back to show design and setting that membership up for success.

:ninja:

Tread lightly Chris -

There are a couple of other groups that can give the Bucs a "run for their money". Taking nothing from what C2 has done so far - they still need to prove themselves to be worthy of where they stand -

I 'm very sure that my family here and my friends in "Mecca" will have something to say about the outcome in Rochester come Labor Day weekend! :devil:

Pat