No Barnum Drum Corps Show 2016?

>>>The show should have been cancelled. The weather was horrific and created dangerous conditions for the performers.<<<

I agree ... DCA (the corps) made a bad call that day ... it was miserable all day and only got worse on the evening ... I don't think the Host (Barnum) had a say unless there's a local "lightning" rule ... just don't know ... check with the Cabs mgmt. to see what the reasoning was ... probably had to do with "share points" and getting paid ... just not sure ... I know I didn't stick around ...

Never good to do shows in the pouring rain.

Fawber and I still remember that 1979 Brick, NJ show where the portable lights exploded during Granada Smoothie. Sweet baby jesus!

I was acting director for a HS band when a bad downpour hit pre-contest, I told the host- "Indoor exhibition, or we leave. Too dangerous, and we have 5K of brand new Guard equipment that will likely get destroyed out there." We left. The parents of that band repeatedly thanked me and the staff, especially those who were spectators and saw what those dumb enough to compete went through.

• Like 2

Never good to do shows in the pouring rain.

Fawber and I still remember that 1979 Brick, NJ show where the portable lights exploded during Granada Smoothie. Sweet baby jesus!

I also remember that night in Brick, and those lights exploding during Westshore's performance. Lightning, thunder, and rain everywhere.

We (Sun) gathered after our show in the school gym, all of us soaking wet but thankful no one, from our corps or any other, was hurt or worse. It was dangerous out there. No exaggeration.

To this day, I have no idea why that show was not called off.

• Like 1

2006 Ernesto hurricane we performed Early like 5:00 after a 30 min delay because of the hurricane, I heard Silva say over a radio that the the show was going to go on if it took all night, I vividly remember our drum major having to hold onto the podium for dear life as he was clearly in danger of getting blown off. It was very dangerous. Yardlines??? What Yardlines!

Some corps before us had it worse..so,e after us had it worse.. As the night went along it got better but that is one show that should have been called off..

06 was no a win no matter what happened, because had they tried to push everything back into Monday, tons of people would have had to leave early. I remember in 87 with the rain, they wanted to move stuff to Monday, people bolted. 88, everything moved to monday and people bolted. finals weekend is that one weekend ###### no matter what

06 was no a win no matter what happened, because had they tried to push everything back into Monday, tons of people would have had to leave early. I remember in 87 with the rain, they wanted to move stuff to Monday, people bolted. 88, everything moved to monday and people bolted. finals weekend is that one weekend ###### no matter what

Great points.

People forget that on the day of prelims in 2006... the day of the "Ernesto show"... the forecast at that time was for more rain and more nasty conditions on Sunday.

So DCA basically had a choice... continue running Saturday (as long as there was no lightning or thunder, which there wasn't), or back everything up until Sunday... which would have meant a decision on possibly canceling the alumni show, among other things, to get all the competition corps in (not a good thing for the alumni corps who rely on the gate receipts of that show to help pay their weekend's bills).

Again, all of this with the prospects of more rain that Sunday... in other words, no guarantees that anything could have taken place on Sunday.

So...IMO, finishing up prelims on Saturday was a good call.... heck, maybe the only call... all things considered. And fortunately, the rain forecast for Sunday never happened, except for a stray shower or two early in the day... so the alumni show and finals were fine.

• Like 1

Been a no win if someones child would have gotten killed.

I can't imagine sending my child into something like that today.

Heh... that 1987 show....

I was walking back to my car after the all-day rain-soaked Prelims in Allentown... the field was an absolute mess. Basically a mud pit between the 20-yard lines.

A person with the local DCA contest committee came up to me and said, "track exhibition (for the finalist corps) Monday morning... Finals are off. The school district has already ruled out letting anyone on the field, no exceptions." Other people confirmed that decision to me.

So.... all evening, I kept hearing rumors about "The show's been moved to another place"...or "Finals are a 'go' later Monday on the J. Birney Crum field after it dries out".... etc. When It had already been decided Finals were canceled. Gotta love the rumor mill. LOL.

• Like 1

Have (some) of the 2006 Prelims on DVD as we didn't go due to death in the family. Some Prelims as recording crew left before the end to save their equipment. Last recorded corps IIRC was CV and last few minutes of the show had no sound. And someone was recorded after Alumni show as they missed Finals and was not recorded at Prelims.

And that exploding light at Brick..... I remember the show used portable lighting and the freaking poles were swaying in the wind, One of the bulbs popped out and fell right behind our DM as he was directing. He couldn't see it but jumped when it hit and looked behind him. A few feet closer and I don't want to think about it. And if those poles had been a little less secured.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Been a no win if someones child would have gotten killed.

I can't imagine sending my child into something like that today.

and when there was lightning, they stopped the show, as they should have. when they saw no more lightning, they resumed

• Like 1