Corps moving to Bb sopranos from trumpets

Not World Class, but Raiders in Open Class is switching to Andalucia Bb sopranos this year. They seem to have gotten their shipment in the other day (along with mellos and baris) . The company is modeling them directly off of the King line of 2-valved brass popular in the '80s.

Pretty cool if you ask me, and I think the first of its kind. I'm curious to hear them live in August. Should be a good testbed for how something like this would fare in the top tier corps.

iQUEmga.jpg

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 5

OK... at the risk of reopening a can of worms here, and this is probably a hopelessly dumb question....LOL...

If the key is the same, what is the difference between the two B-flat instruments?

• Like 1

That's like asking what the difference between a trumpet and cornet is. The difference lies in the shape of the tubing. A trumpet is cylindrical, while cornets and bugles are conical. This gives the instruments a different timbre, and also influences how they blow (free, open, stuffy, etc.)

The bell on bugle is much wider than on the trumpet, which allows it to project more.

edit: I'm not trying to be condescending, just trying to highlight that bugles are different from trumpets, just like cornets are.

Edited by shofmon88
  • Like 3

OK... at the risk of reopening a can of worms here, and this is probably a hopelessly dumb question....LOL...

If the key is the same, what is the difference between the two B-flat instruments?

Don't worry -- I was about to ask the same thing and was hoping someone would beat me to it. LOL!

Sigh. That's like not knowing the difference between a cornamuse and a rauschpfeiffe. :tounge2:

• Like 2

That's like asking what the difference between a trumpet and cornet is. The difference lies in the shape of the tubing. A trumpet is cylindrical, while cornets and bugles are conical. This gives the instruments a different timbre, and also influences how they blow (free, open, stuffy, etc.)

The bell on bugle is much wider than on the trumpet, which allows it to project more.

edit: I'm not trying to be condescending, just trying to highlight that bugles are different from trumpets, just like cornets are.

.........and bugles can be in Bb. WAY, Way, way BITD many to most were.

• Like 2

From a layman's point of view I think one is louder than the other.

Just a guess. Being a percussionist I know nothing about those blowy trumpety things...

• Like 4

Sigh. That's like not knowing the difference between a cornamuse and a rauschpfeiffe. :tounge2:

Exactly. LOL

Fran... i'll get you a video

• Like 1