Corps moving to Bb sopranos from trumpets

Fran... i'll get you a video

That will help, for sure.

I'm not up to speed on bore sizes and such. :tongue:

From a layman's point of view I think one is louder than the other.

Just a guess. Being a percussionist I know nothing about those blowy trumpety things...

It's not so much that they're louder, it's that their sound reaches farther due to the shape of the bell, which gives the horn more of a megaphone property than your average trumpet.

The takeaway, however, is that it's harder to play the horn in tune and with good tone, making it more difficult for the horn line as a whole to play with balance and blend.

That will help, for sure.

I'm not up to speed on bore sizes and such. :tongue:

Well, I just looked up all the models of trumpet I currently know are used in drum corps (including both of Kanstul's G models- I'm pretty sure Les Stentors use one of them, and they have the same numbers listed anyway- one has a "powerbore," but they don't explain what that means) and compared them to this one for bore and bell size. Here are the results:

Yamaha YTR-4335GS: .459" bore, 4 7/8" bell

Yamaha YTR-8335S: .459" bore, 4 7/8" bell

Jupiter Quantum 5000: .460" bore, 5" bell

System Blue SB10: .459" bore, 5" bell

System Blue SB12: .464" bore, 5" bell

Tama by Kanstul KTP: .470" bore, 5 1/6" bell

Kanstul Model 100 and 102 Powerbore: .470" bore, 5" bell

Andalucia AdVance Series Phase III (includes two models, identical except that one uses Kanstul's powerbore, which is still unexplained): .469" bore, 5 1/4" bell

The Andalucia horns seem to be identical save a slightly larger bell and a shepherd's crook, which is an aesthetic/ergonomic feature (it makes the instrument slightly shorter than a regular trumpet, and is described as being intended to replicate the look and feel of a cornet). It's the same as the difference between an open and closed wrap F attachment on a trombone- none save for the look, although one takes up a little less space. Given that baritones, euphoniums, tubas, bass drums, and guard equipment extend much further from the body than trumpets anyway, it really doesn't make any practical difference. The larger bell might make things a bit louder, but considering what the larger bell on a sousaphone compared to a normal tuba does, it may not be an improvement overall. Ultimately, I doubt we'll really hear a significant difference as a result of the horns, and if we do, I don't think we'll be able to tell the difference between a change in equipment from last year and a change in instruction or overall skill level from last year. Considering I'm marching in a corps that goes on later than them this year and won't see them until championships anyway, I'm highly unlikely to really be able to listen to them anyway.

• Like 2

Well, I just looked up all the models of trumpet I currently know are used in drum corps (including both of Kanstul's G models- I'm pretty sure Les Stentors use one of them, and they have the same numbers listed anyway- one has a "powerbore," but they don't explain what that means) and compared them to this one for bore and bell size. Here are the results:

Yamaha YTR-4335GS: .459" bore, 4 7/8" bell

Yamaha YTR-8335S: .459" bore, 4 7/8" bell

Jupiter Quantum 5000: .460" bore, 5" bell

System Blue SB10: .459" bore, 5" bell

System Blue SB12: .464" bore, 5" bell

Tama by Kanstul KTP: .470" bore, 5 1/6" bell

Kanstul Model 100 and 102 Powerbore: .470" bore, 5" bell

Andalucia AdVance Series Phase III (includes two models, identical except that one uses Kanstul's powerbore, which is still unexplained): .469" bore, 5 1/4" bell

The Andalucia horns seem to be identical save a slightly larger bell and a shepherd's crook, which is an aesthetic/ergonomic feature (it makes the instrument slightly shorter than a regular trumpet, and is described as being intended to replicate the look and feel of a cornet). It's the same as the difference between an open and closed wrap F attachment on a trombone- none save for the look, although one takes up a little less space. Given that baritones, euphoniums, tubas, bass drums, and guard equipment extend much further from the body than trumpets anyway, it really doesn't make any practical difference. The larger bell might make things a bit louder, but considering what the larger bell on a sousaphone compared to a normal tuba does, it may not be an improvement overall. Ultimately, I doubt we'll really hear a significant difference as a result of the horns, and if we do, I don't think we'll be able to tell the difference between a change in equipment from last year and a change in instruction or overall skill level from last year. Considering I'm marching in a corps that goes on later than them this year and won't see them until championships anyway, I'm highly unlikely to really be able to listen to them anyway.

Really cool!

Yeah the bore is very noticeably bigger--almost indistinguishable from a G soprano.

sop.png

• Like 1

Those are some good numbers. However, this isn't just a numbers game. The difference in tone and projection also comes from the shape of the bore and bell. Trumpets have cylindrical bores. This gives a trumpet a more piercing, "brassy" sound. A cornet has a conical bore, which means the bore gradually increases in size down its length. A conical bore instrument will produce a warmer, darker sound. A bugle, including Andalucia's has a conical bore like a cornet, but it has a much larger bore size and bell size, which allows the instrument to sound louder and project further than a cornet, but with a different timbre than a trumpet.

• Like 6

Those are some good numbers. However, this isn't just a numbers game. The difference in tone and projection also comes from the shape of the bore and bell. Trumpets have cylindrical bores. This gives a trumpet a more piercing, "brassy" sound. A cornet has a conical bore, which means the bore gradually increases in size down its length. A conical bore instrument will produce a warmer, darker sound. A bugle, including Andalucia's has a conical bore like a cornet, but it has a much larger bore size and bell size, which allows the instrument to sound louder and project further than a cornet, but with a different timbre than a trumpet.

Put this horn in the right hands and they are going to sound great IMO...I personally really like the timbre of these horns...

• Like 1