When does audition info for 2017 come out?

I'm a tuba/baritone/euphonium player looking to join one of 3 corps in 2017; Crown, Coats, or BD. I know they're 3 of the highest ranked, but I'm confident in my abilities, and I have some experience. Anyways, who knows when they usually let out information about auditions???

I'm a tuba/baritone/euphonium player looking to join one of 3 corps in 2017; Crown, Coats, or BD. I know they're 3 of the highest ranked, but I'm confident in my abilities, and I have some experience. Anyways, who knows when they usually let out information about auditions???

Go to " DCI.ORG ", look at the top where the tab " audition" is. click on that and you will get the dates these 3 corps will announce their audition camps, dates, and locations. ( as well as audition tips for you in a video clip found there )You can also contact the Corps directly. ..found on the DCI website too. Corps usually announce their dates and location for try out camps in early Sept. or so. Good luck to you !.

• Like 1

Crown, Coats, or BD. I know they're 3 of the highest ranked, but I'm confident in my abilities, and I have some experience.

Applaud your confidence and wish you well. But please don't foreclose the possibility of marching with another corps, if one of those three don't work out for you. For instance, if you are going for tuba, you're talking about probably 36 spots in total from players all across the country, of which a lot will be filled already by returning veterans. I also heard (albeit second hand from someone trying this past fall) that one of those three corps indicated they would take 16-18 tubas well into spring before eventually cutting a handful, which of course leaves those players with little or no option to march that year - again, I can't guaranty it's true, just what a (possibly disgruntled) tuba player relayed to my son. Naturally, there are much more spots for baritones.

Corps start to release their audition information in late August, and continue through September, and even into early October (often they just release the camp dates at first, and actual audition requirements don't come out until later). Click here for a thread regarding audition dates last season, to give you an idea when corps released info, and what their camp dates were. Also, a couple things to bear in mind if you are seeking to audition for all three:

• most corps have the uncanny ability to schedule their audition camps for the same weekends, so you may have to make some hard choices at some point
  • although most corps offer a "video audition" option, that's usually only to see whether you get called back to the second audition, which may ALSO be the same weekend as 2nd auditions for another corps.
  • all three corps might require different audition pieces, which would triple your preparation time (though some do leave the music choice up to the player)
  • after the first camp, each corps will be expecting you to learn their music in between camps (not necessarily show music, put traditional corps pieces to work on and see how players can play), so again you may have to spend triple the practice time before 2nd auditions, as well as often having to repeat your actual audition piece.
  • the cost of audition fees, camp fees and travel expenses are tripled if you pursue all three simultaneously

We went through this process with 3 corps last November, and it can be quite consuming.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

Thank you, all of you! I probably should have clarified; I'm not auditioning for all three of these corps! I'm going to choose one eventually, as I already checked to see when the 2016 auditions were, and they were all in the same weekend. Also, to those recommending another corps, I'm looking for another corps to audition for outside of one the three I mentioned before; probably an OC Corps, most likely Music City, as I live in Memphis.

If you live in the south, Spirit might be a good place to start. Just a thought

I've thought about them, but honestly I'm not thrilled with the idea of marching Spirit. I like jazz and I'm in jazz band, but I'd rather not venture into jazz in a corps setting. Also, 2017 will be my first of only 4 seasons of marching, so I'd rather not spend one of the years with Spirit. Nothing against Spirit, they're just not for me.

Your thread proves why drum corps kids are among the best you'll find anywhere. We're hardly 1 week into spring training and you're focused on 2017! Some of the most passionate people you'll find are in drum corps. It's one of the many reasons that I find it the activity so appealing. Spend a day volunteering with a corps and you'll see the looks in the member's eyes that proves why they're a cut above the rest.

Good luck to you. Hope to see you at Crown camp in November!

PS - If you can, check out the educational camps the corps host. It's a great way to play drum corps for a weekend, get world-class instruction, and get to know the membership and culture of the organization.

Edited by drumcorpsfever