Is it a mistake?

They won't release recap numbers this year. It was proposed by and voted on by the member corps this past winter, not a decision by DCI's management team.

I was under the impression that full recaps would be released AFTER the season. That would at least provide some fodder for discussion into the postseason.

It's a good move - a necessary move.

Judges should judge the corps without concern for how their scoring opinions are going to be received by others outside of the competition field.

I won't miss the recaps as long as the quality of the scoing improves. The only ones who matter are the kids that bust their tails on the field. DCI owes it to them to provide the best system possible. Obviously the experts think this will work, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Also, think about the post season discussion this will create when the recaps are released. That's good for drum corps. More discussion during a time when the discussion usually dwindles down.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

I was under the impression that full recaps would be released AFTER the season. That would at least provide some fodder for discussion into the postseason.

I suppose... but getting recaps AFTER the season is over to discuss, sounds as appealing as discussing the individual grades you got in your classes AFTER the school gave you the diploma, cap, and gown. I mean... havn't you already moved on to something else to discuss and do by then ?

It's a good move - a necessary move.

Judges should judge the corps without concern for how their scoring opinions are going to be received by others outside of the competition field.

I won't miss the recaps as long as the quality of the scoing improves. The only ones who matter are the kids that bust their tails on the field. DCI owes it to them to provide the best system possible. Obviously the experts think this will work, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Also, think about the post season discussion this will create when the recaps are released. That's good for drum corps. More discussion during a time when the discussion usually dwindles down.

If your judges don't have the integrity to avoid looking at recaps on their own, what makes you think that shutting down "public" access to the recaps is going make a difference?

I personally think this has nothing at all to do with "integrity of the judging process."

Edited by corpsband

I do think that its undeniable that DCI believed there was a problem with judge bias, or at the very least, the environment for potential judge bias was present. This new DCI policy was not enacted based upon fan behavior, Wes. It was enacted based upon judge behavior. We know this how ? DCI told us in their press release this past winter. That said, it surely impacts the fun the fans used to have reading the recaps. My guess, knowing human nature's natural curiousity, the notion that judges won't have access to what their colleagues scored in the subcaptions in a recent show, is a real stretch, imo.' Guess we'll have to see how this plays out.

Also, when real, verifiable data is removed from the public, invariably, what fills the void is..... rumor. As such, I would anticipate all sorts of rumors to begin circulating this summer on here and elsewhere about what Corps scored in the captions, and the placements in the subcaptions. Much of the rumors will be like most rumors..... false. Every action naturally has a reaction. And sometimes when a well intentioned, well meaning policy is implemented, it actually fails to improve what it intended to improve, and just makes things worse. But who knows here. Time will tell.

which is funny, because the last 3 years we have seen more and more evidence of "on any given day" with results. if they have suspicions about certain judges, with competition suite, administrators can verify recordings matching numbers from anywhere.

the claims of judge bias is IMO a smoke screen, and lets see what happens when website hits drop

If you judges don't have the integrity to avoid looking at recaps on their own, what makes you think that shutting down "public" access to the recaps is going make a difference?

I personally think this has nothing at all to do with "integrity of the judging process."

:withstupid:

and by saying words along those lines in the press release, DCi basically said " we dont trust our judges"

• Like 1

How dare they not let you discuss the most minute details of evaluations of 150 random strangers' performance?! What has the world come to that people can't obsess over the tiniest bits of statistics of a youth sports league?

I agree. Especially since DCI has published these for over 40 years, as do all these other" youth sports leagues "too. Whats the ( DCI ) world coming too ", indeed.

Edited by BRASSO

Maybe I should put this on the prediction thread... but I predict there won't be more DCP traffic here in October, Nov., Dec as a result of the new opportunity to disccus the recaps and subcaps scores in the previous summers shows in Lynn, Ma, Denton, Texas, Minneapolis, Minn., etc and so forth.

Edited by BRASSO