Is it a mistake?

I would agree except for the fact in this case 20 OUT OF 20 does not mean perfect, just the highest or best

That's kind of my point.

There is no need to have an aversion to the word perfect. We know what it means in its use, and it ultimately refers to the score itself (20 out of 20 is perfect... like "pitching a perfect game"). Everything is fully accounted for in the score. Follow? Highest possible score actually means perfect score.

I think we all agree much more than we think. But there is that one immovable and well defended philosophy that no test should ever have a perfect score... unless you subscribe to that, there is no need to avoid the word.

That's kind of my point.

There is no need to have an aversion to the word perfect. We know what it means in its use, and it ultimately refers to the score itself (20 out of 20 is perfect... like "pitching a perfect game"). Everything is fully accounted for in the score. Follow? Highest possible score actually means perfect score.

I think we all agree much more than we think. But there is that one immovable and well defended philosophy that no test should ever have a perfect score... unless you subscribe to that, there is no need to avoid the word.

Youre right BUT the problem is and I think it's where it started that many look at, say a guard ( only an example it can be in other things also ) a guard drops and many ask well how can that be perfect. It's easy to explain but tiring year after year...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

I kept hearing from my elementary students "Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes better. Nobody is perfect."

This is something that another teacher was telling them. I asked them "Is 'perfect' a bad word?... Is it like lying?"

They said... "yes".

This is a toxic kind of nonsense where the idea of achieving an absolute objective (even in a subjective sense) is considered unattainable fantasy.

We should be trying to use more of our language rather than eradicating meaning because it makes us seem smart, thoughtful and sensitive.

No accusations here... I'm just calling out a popular contemporary philosophy about achievement that seems to do more harm than good.

I very much disagree.

The concept of perfection is extremely harmful to one's state of mind. It invokes the idea that there is one end point that everyone needs to reach, and that if you are not at that point, you are less than the perfect being.

Take someone who is, for example, a body builder. The idea of perfection is arbitrary, but society will impose a certain type of image that is defined as perfection, and not being able to reach that (often impossible) physique can be extremely harmful. This is how anorexia arises in girls, how self-esteem issues arise in teens.

Instead, it is better to think of not perfection, but simply improving oneself more and more. Why do we need the harmful concept of perfection when what I mentioned accomplishes the exact same thing? Both methods encourage improvement, but the idea of perfection suggests that you are a lesser person if you cannot reach an arbitrary ideal.

Edit: just to add, perfect is fine to use in objective matters. A perfect pitching game in baseball, a perfect score on an exam. That is fine. But for a subjective art like drum corps, no, I do not think perfection exists.

Edit 2: Psychology studies have shown that performance on tasks (and reported happiness) increases when people are intrinsically motivated. The ideal of perfection, however, pushes one to be extrinsically motivated.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

Who said there is no critique? I believe that is still happening, as always. Certainly what you quoted makes no such assertion.

Michael Boo's article on DCI.ORG from 6/22 says...

"At the end of each contest, each competing group will receive a full paper recap of all the corps that performed in that particular event. The recap will include all the scores from each caption for each corps in the show, just as it always has. This is so the staff members can have an appropriate dialogue with the judges in the post-show critiques.

So, we all know that full recaps of all of the sub captions are available to all competing corps at specific competitions. This, along with the after-contest critiques, should provide the teachers and decision makers in each corps to make such adjustments as are needed to achieve a different, higher competitive result...and to know whether they need to implement a 0.3 change or a 2.3 change.

My question is whether the full recaps from each contest are circulated to all WC corps competing this season? Will the corps competing in Evansville receive the full recaps for corps competing in Oxnard tonight ?

The present system allows the publication of sub caption results so we know that every corps in every contest achieved a 0.00 score and all were rankedi first in each sub caption.

Could not the folks who voted to suspend the release of full recaps this season relent and allow the publication of the ORDINALS associated with each sub caption so we, the paying public, can at least know e.g., which corps had the highest ranking brass or percussion line as the season progresses?

All I know is I've been quite bored so far this season without recaps...not really much to discuss when you hardly have any details...

• Like 3

All I know is I've been quite bored so far this season without recaps...not really much to discuss when you hardly have any details...

Amen to that.

YUP.

But it's not perfect. It's the maximum score that can be given.

Yea that could be done but I think the question was , does a perfect score mean perfect and the answer is no.

You are both correct on that... which is why I put "perfect score" in quotes. A "perfect score" does not mean a perfect performance or perfect design.

• Like 1

So, we all know that full recaps of all of the sub captions are available to all competing corps at specific competitions. This, along with the after-contest critiques, should provide the teachers and decision makers in each corps to make such adjustments as are needed to achieve a different, higher competitive result...and to know whether they need to implement a 0.3 change or a 2.3 change.

My question is whether the full recaps from each contest are circulated to all WC corps competing this season? Will the corps competing in Evansville receive the full recaps for corps competing in Oxnard tonight ?

The present system allows the publication of sub caption results so we know that every corps in every contest achieved a 0.00 score and all were rankedi first in each sub caption.

Could not the folks who voted to suspend the release of full recaps this season relent and allow the publication of the ORDINALS associated with each sub caption so we, the paying public, can at least know e.g., which corps had the highest ranking brass or percussion line as the season progresses?

My guess is "no" to this, from reading the article.

As to whether the ordinals could be released, if the corps directors decided to do that, sure. They can make any adjustments they think necessary. The problem is, what DCP people think is necessary and what the corps directors think is necessary are not always in synch.

So.... Cavies up a full 6 points between June 26th and June 29th and is now matched Bluecoats' score from their last performance (73.1). Obviously the corps is improving and different shows, line-ups, judges, etc., but.... do we think this rule change might have anything to do with that kind of jump?

Please Cavies' fans, I'm in no way trying to take anything away from the corps. They're one of my faves this year. Just think it worthy of discussion.

Edited by chaddyt