Will Wildwood Be An Exhibition Only?

I've heard that the Wildwood show could possibly be an exhibition only due to some corps not having their show's ready. Is there any facts available to verify this? What corps don't have completed shows?

Why can't a corps have a show completed by the middle of June?

For the younger members of DCP, back in the day our first show was Memorial Day weekend & it was very rare to find a corps, Jr or Sr, that wasn't ready to blow the stands down by the end of May.

Wildwood is one of my favorite shows and I've been attending for many years, but I'm not driving over two hours each way to watch an exhibition!

There's no reason why they should not be ready.The corps booked into this show knew months ahead the date of the show.Have them all judged ready or not take your lumps lick your wounds .And be better for it.

Edited by Florida Sun

Yes, it is an exhibition show, with a judging panel doing comments only, plus critique. There will be no scores. While I cannot speak for the other four corps, the Caballeros are absolutely ready and will perform a complete show. Well, as complete as shows typically are in June.

That said, and I must reiterate that I don't speak for the other corps in the show, but times have changed. It's not like "back in the day" where you had 50 pages of drill and tons of rehearsal time. Kids today miss rehearsals in April and May due to band trips, proms, graduations, etc. Working folks in (or in some cases, not performing a closer or doing so standing still) isn't as uncommon as it once was. Some corps know they won't be ready by this weekend, and choose not to even try (thus not even coming out until later). It is several orders of magnitude more difficult to ready a complete program given today's musical, visual, and ensemble responsibilities.

I don't know for certain why Cabs at the Beach was changed, but it has been (and if I released a State Secret, then all i can say is "oops" and roll my eyes). As a staff member, I'm perfectly fine with it, and it may actually solve some problems on the judges' end...they won't be under pressure to jot down a number that may be wrong, and can worry about commentary and the post-show meeting, focusing on how to communicate with the corps. Many band circuits do this in the early season, and even some drum corps shows have as well. Drum Corps West used to have a commentary-only preview show with the various corps of the Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, and other California corps.

Besides, it's not like anyone sticks around to hear Fran announce the scores anyway. They're all headed for Kelly's or some other watering hole.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

Besides, it's not like anyone sticks around to hear Frank announce the scores anyway.

I'll let "Frank" know you're thinking about him. :tongue:

• Like 1

For the record, the edit was posted prior to Frank...er...Fran's reply.

Thanks, Joe. :ninja:

• Like 1

i do know the PA turnpike is slated to be closed for many hours on the 18th and 19th between exits 312 (rt 100) and 326 (KOP), so if coming from the west, get your gps ready

I bet we can guess who asked that needed more time to be ready. BUT ! I also bet they will NOT come on here and SAY they were not ready!

I know that when I was in the NYC Skyliners we were not really ready one year. We had a Full show on the field, but not cleaned up at all. 10 full points (in the 68.point score area) behind the Corps above us. Last place. The next week we improved by 10 points. We finished in 3rd place at the World Championships.

So take the lumps, and move on up.