Favorite Front Ensembles

Listening to Santa Clara Vanguards absolutely stunning feature at the beginning of their show this year made me think, man, even as a percussionist, I forget how amazing and beautiful a front ensemble can make a show sound. They're like the perfect amount of frosting on a cake when done right.

So what are some of your favorite front ensembles, old or new?

Think this Santa Clara one will be up there.

The Academy - 2014 to Present, This is by no means the hardest or Stanford quality stuff out there, but man, they are just downright fun and entertaining as hell. Their all marimba on two or three instruments running around each other thing in 2014, their tap dancing feature last year, and their hilarious body mounted mini xylos (I'm sure there is a better name than the one I came up with on the fly) they have this year are just so fun. I look forward to them every year now.

Blue Stars - 2013 to Present - The sheer virtuosity of their playing is stunning to watch every year, and 2016 is definitely the height of that. I think what has made their music books work the past few years has been the masterful interweaving of the front ensemble book throughout the program. They are just downright impressive to watch.

The Cadets 2013 to Present - Think they have some of the best writing right now, love the way they use metals, and their musicality and technique is incredibly impressive.

Bluecoats - 2013 to Present - A little understated and subtle, but I love the texture and colors they add to their programs every year. Love the almost minimalist approach to the writing, and when they have something that grooves, it just infects you.

Phantom Regiment 2010 - Into the Light, that's what Sandi's book reminded me of right off the bat this year. The opening to that show was stunning as well, understated, played with absolute mastery, it made that opening brass moment that much better.

The Cavaliers - 2000s, and 2014 - 2014 is definitely a gimmicky choice, but I didn't just pick them for their Danse Macabre feature, they really were featured the whole show. And their 2000s sections were just downright entertaining.

Santa Clara Vanguard 2000, Stained Glass, I love the fact that more corps are adventuring into the land of Percussion Ensemble literature, Vanguard in 2000 definitely one of the earlier examples I can think of. The way they used the Gillingham in the opening and closing of their shows was pretty beautiful.

Edited by DrumManTx

My apologies now if this doesn't qualify for this particular thread, but that accelerando that BD's pit does in their 2000 show Methods of Madness............gets me everytime. Amazing.

• Like 1

My apologies now if this doesn't qualify for this particular thread, but that accelerando that BD's pit does in their 2000 show Methods of Madness............gets me everytime. Amazing.

I forgot about that one if that is even possible. Definitely an awesome moment.

• Like 1

Blue Knights of the past 2 years (possibly this year as well). Absolutely stunning writing from the pen of Kevin Shah!

Cavaliers 2008 Samurai

Blue Devils 2000 methods of madness