The FEAR of Change

I am very eager to see a recap of attendances. I suspect we will see some pretty significant positive trends, and perhaps more so nearer to the end of the tour.

2016 starts out exactly where 2015 left off.

1 - 4, same. 5-10, same. 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, EXACTLY the same.

After 9 months of staff changes and hard work - nobody moves. Nobody gets better. Everybody stays the same.

It's a Drum Corps Miracle!

We've said this so many times before on here however, that its a broken record.

Overall what the original poster claims may somewhat correct, though I would say 1-5 will be the same, though not necessarily in the same order, 6-10 will probably be the same, though again not in the same order, 11 and 12 the same, but I think we need to see Blue Stars face off against Crossmen and BAC and we need to see how PR cleans up and what they add to their show before this can be said in certainty. We also need to see if Madison is off to a strong start or whether they are closer to either Cavies and PR or perhaps BAC, Crossmen, and Blue Stars. Remember they are placing higher to an incomplete BK show. We also need to see Troopers and Academy against Crossmen and Blue Stars to see if they are just scoring lower or if they will be fighting for a 12th place spot.

That being said, I do not think that the placements have much to do with fear of change. If corps produce the same quality of shows, and each makes similar improvements, placement won't change all that much, and while placements may seem to be stagnant compared with years ago, we also have fewer corps in the mix.

I am very eager to see a recap of attendances. I suspect we will see some pretty significant positive trends, and perhaps more so nearer to the end of the tour.

Did you mean to put this on another thread, perhaps ? This OP started a thread topic on his early season assessment of the placements... not on anything to do with " attendance ".

Edited by BRASSO

2016 starts out exactly where 2015 left off.

1 - 4, same. 5-10, same. 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, EXACTLY the same.

After 9 months of staff changes and hard work - nobody moves. Nobody gets better. Everybody stays the same.

It's a Drum Corps Miracle!

Yeah. You would think that, from nothing more than a purely statistical perspective, this kind of result should be extremely unlikely. When you consider the large number of variables involved with putting a drum corps on the field each year, and run the experiment year after year, the probability of ending up with identical results year after year should be low. Yet here we are. All the ingredients change -- members, programming, staff, finances, rules, etc. -- yet the outcome is the same. Variation is normal (think of the bell curve), and a statistician might suspect that something is interfering with what ought to be a normal distribution of outcomes, shaping it into a single, unchanging result.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

Yeah. You would think that, from nothing more than a purely statistical perspective, this kind of result should be extremely unlikely. When you consider the large number of variables involved with putting a drum corps on the field each year, and run the experiment year after year, the likelihood that you would end up with essentially identical results year after year is low. Yet here we are. All the ingredients change -- members, programming, staff, finances, rules, etc. -- yet the outcome is the same. A statistician would suspect that something more is at work than can be subjected to a formula, something that shapes what ought to be a normal distribution of outcomes into a single, unchanging result.

The notion that they'll be any substantive change in placements 1-40 year over end without the implementation of a reasonable and sensible transfer policy is delusional, imo. I " get " that few people in Drum Corps are supportive of a reasonable and sensible transfer policy that ALL amateur sports programs have ( and that Drum Corps used to have for years, before DCI ). But then I frankly have to chuckle with the fact these same people expect substantial placements movements among Corps 1-40 from one year to the next. BD has dominated DCI Titles like no other youth activity has in the entire world, over the last 40 years. Guess what ? Without a sensible and reasonable transfer policy implementation, BD will continue to dominate DCI for the next half a century as well. Also delusional, would be any belief that DCI can substantially grow a fan base over the next few decades where entrenched competitive inertia is so fundamentally baked into the enterprise from the top tier all the way to the bottom tier.

Edited by BRASSO

Did you mean to put this on another thread, perhaps ? This OP started a thread topic on his early season assessment of the placements... not on anything to do with " attendance ".

I was suggesting that it may be that placements won't change, but entertainment value has gone up...for every corps. It's sort of the curse of a set 100 point scale. But there are other ways to measure achievement.

There really wasn't a 1-5 last year. More accurate was a 1-4 then a significant gap. This year so far seems like a 1-3 then a gap then a 4-6. Hard to tell with the corps in different shows right now

I was suggesting that it may be that placements won't change, but entertainment value has gone up...for every corps. It's sort of the curse of a set 100 point scale. But there are other ways to measure achievement.

Compared with the 70's and 80's, these DCI Corps are much larger. Their staffs are much larger. Marcher talent is much higher. Tryout camps now have several hundred auditioneers available to staffs... much higher than ever before Corps have more resources. Previously restricted musical instrumentation rules have been dropped... so staffs have more creative freedoms now. And on and on.

So why is there less people attending DCI shows this decade, than in the 70's and 80's ( and the loss of TV exposure ) ? Anybody want to take a stab at what an explanation for this might be ?

• Like 1