Which composers/songwriters are friendly towards Drum Corps?

Before the countless posts about "short shows" on this Forum recently, we have previously had regular discussions about music copyrights and how publishers make life difficult for the Marching Arts. We've all seen and heard of examples where Drum Corps shows have been impacted by the lack of arranging, performance, and/or sync rights by those "greedy" composers, songwriters, and publishers. And we can all probably name names.

So, my question is: Who are the composers, songwriters, and publishers who actually are friendly to the Marching Arts and make it easy for organizations to perform their music in shows and competitions?

I know there are composers who specialize in writing marching band and Drum Corps show music, so I would expect they have reasonable conditions to securing the various performance rights, especially if their livelihood depends on income from such a niche market. If you want to give them "shoutouts", fine. What about other more mainstream artists and composers?

I have 2 hearsay stories that I'll start with:

In 2012, Spirit of Atlanta's show was Sin City and included a song "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga. I had heard from several sources that Lady Gaga was personally involved in the use of her music I believe to the benefit of Spirit.

The other story I heard from the wife: Back when she was in college at Memphis, Barry Manilow performed in town. As is his custom, he selects a local choir/chorus to appear with him in the finale of his show to sing "One Voice". The Memphis choir had that honor for those performances. He also spent several hours with the music students at the college talking about the business aspects of music. I see from Corpreps.com many of his songs have been performed by numerous Corps going back to the mid-70s. I can only assume his interest in helping young musicians carries over to allowing them to use his songs.

Did I get this right about Lady Gaga and Barry Manilow? Are there other composers and songwriters that are only too glad to have their music performed by Marching Arts organizations?

I'm interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

Before the countless posts about "short shows" on this Forum recently, we have previously had regular discussions about music copyrights and how publishers make life difficult for the Marching Arts. We've all seen and heard of examples where Drum Corps shows have been impacted by the lack of arranging, performance, and/or sync rights by those "greedy" composers, songwriters, and publishers. And we can all probably name names.

So, my question is: Who are the composers, songwriters, and publishers who actually are friendly to the Marching Arts and make it easy for organizations to perform their music in shows and competitions?

I know there are composers who specialize in writing marching band and Drum Corps show music, so I would expect they have reasonable conditions to securing the various performance rights, especially if their livelihood depends on income from such a niche market. If you want to give them "shoutouts", fine. What about other more mainstream artists and composers?

I have 2 hearsay stories that I'll start with:

In 2012, Spirit of Atlanta's show was Sin City and included a song "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga. I had heard from several sources that Lady Gaga was personally involved in the use of her music I believe to the benefit of Spirit.

The other story I heard from the wife: Back when she was in college at Memphis, Barry Manilow performed in town. As is his custom, he selects a local choir/chorus to appear with him in the finale of his show to sing "One Voice". The Memphis choir had that honor for those performances. He also spent several hours with the music students at the college talking about the business aspects of music. I see from Corpreps.com many of his songs have been performed by numerous Corps going back to the mid-70s. I can only assume his interest in helping young musicians carries over to allowing them to use his songs.

Did I get this right about Lady Gaga and Barry Manilow? Are there other composers and songwriters that are only too glad to have their music performed by Marching Arts organizations?

I'm interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing when I heard the Justin Bieber sample in the Blue Devils' show.

I know that Vienna Teng was very supportive of Bloo and OC's use of "Hymn of Acxiom" - mentioning it in social media and such.

Dave Matthews?? I know Teal Sound did a DMB show.

I know that Vienna Teng was very supportive of Bloo and OC's use of "Hymn of Acxiom" - mentioning it in social media and such.

Tyondai Braxton was also very supportive of his music being used in the activity. He had apparently never heard of drum corps until he heard that the Bluecoats were using his music for their 2014 show, and he immediately wanted to find out more. Edited by Cadevilina Crown

David Holsinger seemed to be pleased with what the Cadets did with his music in 1992. (I can't believe we're coming up on 10 years without hearing Holsinger on the field, the Bluecoats last doing "Battle Music" for their Criminal show in 2007. A lot of untapped work that would be great for drum corps.)

Edited by Jeffe77

I think Bertrand Moren was a fan of what Crown did with his music, and in fact spoke about it and wished Crown luck on his own website....there was a DCP thread if I recall.

Yep -- I was trying to think of that example. As I recall, he was amazed how well it was performed even while moving.