Drum Corps Spectator: Hearing Protection Required

Ok. Thanks for the info Brasso.

Sure thing, FlamMan.

Edited by BRASSO

This is just raw data and I am not trying to over analyze anything. When it is hot outside I look at a thermometer to see how hot and I better get some water. If the show is loud now I know how loud and I better protect my hearing. Simple.

Please note I am not an audiologist nor a medical professional; this is merely based on personal research and not intended as a medical suggestion to anyone.

Musicians in DCI are constantly exposed to consistent sounds above 100db (at close range for extensive amounts of time), including short burst of 120 - 140 in the drum line (again due to being so close to the drums). OSHA states that 90db exposure (for a consent eight hours straight) "requires" hearing protection; and at 95db it would be four hours (of consent exposure). Thus it is imperative for the DCI musicians to consider hearing protection. However, according to a plethora of medical studies unless you as a spectator are exposed to a very loud sound above 140db, or say 90db for eight hours straight each day over months or years, hearing loss, if it occurs at all, normally subsides quickly and is typically not permanent. This has been reported by medical journals as true even if you only go to one or two Rock Concerts a year and sit near the stacks belching out over 110db for the entire concert. Would it be wise to wear earplugs at a 110db two-hour Rock Concert? Sure. But....

According to the graph produced at the Ptt DCI show, as a DCI spectator you experienced sporadic time durations of exposure at various db levels just above and below 90db. In your case you experienced within a two-hour period the following sound levels... four sets of duration of around fifteen min each between 90db and 95db; six sets under 90db (around fifty-five total min of sound below 90db in various duration); and only once did you ever experience anything above 95db, one set of about 5 min at 105db (which in turn skewed the full dosage percentage rate). Also, you likely only do this two-hour stint once maybe twice a year. My point is all of that information needs to be factored in on whether or not hearing protection is (desired, needed, or required) for you as a spectator at a DCI show.

Edited by Stu

Is there an epidemic of deaf drum corps alumnus walking around? I don't know 1 single person who marched or who played in rock bands who has hearing problems. I suppose some people are more at risk to develop problems than others, but in the 1970's we blasted our ears every single day with either drum corps, headphones, concerts, etc...

I can't for the life of me understand how a drum corp marching member can play with ear plugs in. How can you clearly hear your fellow drummers & horn players?

I suffer from a mild case of tinnitus. It's really only become noticeable in the last few years, and it's by no means debilitating.

I don't believe it was caused by any brassline, or even any drumline. I do, however, believe that it was cased, and will be exacerbated by. use of a loud metronome. While the met is without a doubt a fantastic teaching tool, I'm convinced prolonged exposure to loud metronomes (you know, as every drum corps band band has with the Dr. Beat and Long Ranger) absolutely contributes to hearing loss.

I will not go near the met on the field (or in an arc), and can't stand in front of it without some pain. I invested in a set of molded, customized Westone Custom Musician Ear Plugs. I will not go anywhere near a working metronome at a band ro corps rehearsal without them in. They do not affect my ability to hear my bands or brasslines. These ear plugs are build specifically for working musicians so that you can protect your hearing without giving up the ability to hear music or voices. I cannot recommend them enough.

If you teach or perform in front of a projected, amplified metronome, you absolutely *must* protect yourself. It's also imperative that bands and corps learn to moderate amplified met use...it's a major safety issue for everyone involved.

Edited by Kamarag

Come to a Bluecoats rehearsal and you will see MANY wearing hearing protection. Some battery instructors even wear ear muffs pretty much identical to what you would use at a shooting range.

The last few years of my career as a band director part of our booster club budget was for individual packets of sponge ear plugs.

I required the kids to wear them in certain situations.

I would like to have had a decibel reading at Massillon Saturday night when the brass let loose on "The Boxer." WOW!

From my readings and talks the real danger is in consistent, prolonged exposure to high volume.

• Like 1