3 Golds Enough?

In a year like this, it almost seems criminal to only announce ONE top prize. What to do?

From an earlier comment .....

A logical, next progression in judging MIGHT be, awarding more than one top medal. It's almost blasphemous to many, but under such a change we could eventually read this headline:

Three corps received GOLD Medals at this year's DCI World Class Championships in Indianapolis. They are Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, and Blue Devils (all just used for illustration).

Thoughts?

As much as I think that the top 2-3 are all championship worthy this year, the fact that there is only 1 top spot provides incentive to create a brilliant finished product that we all enjoy in Indy. I'll take this year over any year when there is a foregone conclusion as to who the winner will be - as much as my heart tells me otherwise.

If we forget about judging all together, then what happens to DCP discussions about recaps & slotting?

We'll just lament back to the "good 'ole days" when we had actual scores to analyze!

I have no problem keeping things as they are. Those old high school band results were pretty silly. We must NEVER have just feel-good labels! Reading that all the time in current events, it seems. :tounge2:

Maybe everyone should get Gold Medals, just like in the Olympics.

Actually, no. Only the champions in a particular event get the Gold. Olympics vs DCI Championships -- apples and oranges.

Caption winners do get special awards and I'd rather those stay as they are.

This is why kids grow up to be Sissy's. They don't have to do anything anymore to get rewarded.

You sound like Oprah.

"YOU GET A MEDAL! YOU GET A MEDAL! EVERYONE GETS A MEDAAAAAAAAAAL!"

Thinking like that is what's wrong with America these days.

• Like 1

Lots of arts adjudication (not just band or music - think painting contests and the like) rewards levels of excellence. Judges award multiple "superior", "excellent", "good" prizes as they see fit. It's not any kind of a new idea.

Presumably if the DCI corps had any interest in using this approach, they'd have done it sometime in the last 44 years.

In a year like this, it almost seems criminal to only announce ONE top prize. What to do?

From an earlier comment .....

A logical, next progression in judging MIGHT be, awarding more than one top medal. It's almost blasphemous to many, but under such a change we could eventually read this headline:

Three corps received GOLD Medals at this year's DCI World Class Championships in Indianapolis. They are Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, and Blue Devils (all just used for illustration).

Thoughts?

Yeah, we don't want anyone to feel frustrated, left out, sore and convicted to ultimately move on to greater things like a Tony Award winning Broadway production...

Did I just say that?

No, one Gold will do.

Having been a youngster of the 90's doesn't mean that I am willing to adopt the mantras of that time gone by.