percussion judges in drill

Direct quote from Joe Allison on marching roundtable podcast in discussion about judging percussion from the pressbox: "I may not be able to hear everything, but I can hear what I need to hear."

The days of field percussion judging are numbered. The only question is if DCI will step in before or after a serious injury and resulting expensive lawsuit.

In a dome you can't hear what you need to hear

• Like 2

That's not always close enough to get a good read. Plain and simple.

Good lines will send the drums down close to get points for technical execution. Weak lines will hide them beyond the hash to stay out of trouble.

Is THAT fair and equitable to all performers in the activity? Does it impact scores?

And good judges will notate that.

For some, this topic was played out earlier in the year when there was concern that the drum judge would be in the stand for many of the shows.

And neither side will cede.

Indy isn't Dayton. You can't hear up top in Indy like you can Dayton

• Like 1

Direct quote from Joe Allison on marching roundtable podcast in discussion about judging percussion from the pressbox: "I may not be able to hear everything, but I can hear what I need to hear."

The days of field percussion judging are numbered. The only question is whether DCI will step in before or after a serious injury and resulting expensive lawsuit.

Its a matter of safety and it will only take one serious incident to potentially bankrupt or at least seriously disrupt the organization.

That's got the be the most chicken-#### reply I've heard in the discussion yet. What HE needs to hear! Wow.

The field percussion judge will stay around until DCI figures out how to introduce compulsories for both percussion arranging and for drill design to get them down front where they can be judged.

• Like 2

But the difference is the ref is not assigning numbers, just monitoring for rule infractions. But yes, I see your point. I guess it's just how precise you want to judge. If you can't see or hear it from the stands I don't really think it is a mistake worth noting. Sometimes I think our quest for precision inhibits the creation of real music.

I find your position hard to rationalize when it's been the technical music arranging in light of the increasing execution demand and talent that has created the exceptional percussion musicians that we have today.

Judging from the box will do a lot of damage to the progress drumming has attained over the decades.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

For some, this topic was played out earlier in the year when there was concern that the drum judge would be in the stand for many of the shows.

And a few notable posters only come out of lurk mode when someone brings to topic to the fore again. Go figure.

Pay attention to the vested interests.

• Like 1

And a few notable posters only come out of lurk mode when someone brings to topic to the fore again. Go figure.

As a brass guy, I have a hard time understanding how any D&BC musical section can be judged from the stands, especially percussion. When they move indoors, the echo, to me, messes up the ensembles.

• Like 3

I invite you to read Schnitzel's posts on page one of this thread. They make a damning case against field percussion judging in the current environment. Have you talked to any DCA percussion judges since they pulled them off the field? They seem to have figured it out, with a facet of the activity that has a lower degree of physical jeopardy than the junior corps ranks.

When (not if) the numerous near-misses are no longer near misses and a serious injury occurs, are you going to pony up 7 figures in settlements and attorney fees, and oh yeah, liability insurance premiums would jump through the roof especially when a known risk was ignored.

Folks who see that it's time to be proactive can recognize the benefits of having a judge's face feet away from the snare line, but sometimes one has to look at the bigger picture. DCI has played with fire for years and gotten away with it, but eventually they will get burned. Performer and judge safety trumps any possible advantageous judging vantage point, and it should not even be a close decison.

Whether in a dome or open air stadium, the drill isn't going to change and the risks are just as great. I hope DCI revisits this issue this coming offseason and pray we "get lucky" for a few more weeks.

Edited by wolfgang

I hope DCI revisits this issue this coming offseason and pray we "get lucky" for a few more weeks.

It is not like they haven't considered it. They just visited it at the rules congress a few months ago and decided against it.

• Like 1