Adjudication 101: Straight from DCI

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965782&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211086489&DB_OEM_ID=33500

beyond silly

the funniest explanation is for GE

Responsibilities: One of the GE judges has a music background and the other has a visual background, but each utilizes the same judging sheet because they are effectively judging the entire show, not just the effect of the music offering or the effect of the visual production. GE judges must be the most experienced, most knowledgeable, and most flexible members of the audience. Plus, they know how to manage numbers in order to give a proper score. The GE judges are doing the romantic job, they’re feeling what the show is offering and responding to what the show is. There are three parts to GE, the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional.
Edited by Lance

What stood out to me:

"There are three parts to GE: the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional"

This statement makes it pretty clear to me why Crown and BD have been pretty much dominating GE lately

• Like 3

Another significant thing that is very relevant to the earlier colorguard discussion that was done a couple weeks ago:

"To put it another way, what the guards are doing and how well they are doing it. This caption is NOT about the effectiveness of the guard, nor is it about the costumes nor the flags."

I wonder how demand versus proficiency is weighted

• Like 1

What stood out to me:

"There are three parts to GE: the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional"

This statement makes it pretty clear to me why Crown and BD have been pretty much dominating GE lately

Nahhh... you are seeing what you want to see.

Those three things aren't nearly as separable and exclusive as it sounds in this filler write up.

Nahhh... you are seeing what you want to see.

Those three things aren't nearly as separable and exclusive as it sounds in this filler write up.

How exactly is it then? I'm still trying to fully comprehend this caption

As "Adjudication 101", this is a pretty poor article, I'm sorry to say. If anything, it seems directed at people who already know pretty well what the judges do.

For instance, take a look at this description:

"The Visual Proficiency judge zooms in and out on performers, but from the periphery of the field. They look at small groups and individuals, but try to not focus on any particular person. This is the judge that used to be referred to as Field Visual, and earlier, Marching and Maneuvering."

This doesn't say what the judge is "zoom[ing] in and out" for. When they "look at small groups and individuals", what is it they want to see?

Only people who've been around the activity long enough to remember "Field Visual" or "Marching and Maneuvering", and thus remember what judges with those titles used to do, could take anything specific away from this passage.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

As "Adjudication 101", this is a pretty poor article, I'm sorry to say. If anything, it seems directed at people who already know pretty well what the judges do.

For instance, take a look at this description:

"The Visual Proficiency judge zooms in and out on performers, but from the periphery of the field. They look at small groups and individuals, but try to not focus on any particular person. This is the judge that used to be referred to as Field Visual, and earlier, Marching and Maneuvering."

This doesn't say what the judge is "zoom[ing] in and out" for. When they "look at small groups and individuals", what is it they want to see?

Only people who've been around the activity long enough to remember "Field Visual" or "Marching and Maneuvering", and thus remember what judges would those titles used to do, could take anything specific away from this passage.

That's a good point, I didn't think about this in the perspective of a total newbie reading this

who wrote this? Hallmark?

they know how to manage numbers in order to give a proper score. The GE judges are doing the romantic job, they’re feeling what the show is offering and responding to what the show is

and we wonder why the scores are what they are at times :)