Timing Hornlines

I had a feeling Crown played the most. Yeah, it's broken up by short bits of Percussion, but like I've said before, they have to shine through sometimes too!

Lance is an angry person... Thanks OP for this! Interesting for sure! 👍👍👍👍

crown's hornline is particularly glorious this year, and they're always glorious.

scv's brass sound is the best i've heard from them in over a decade.

great year pretty much top to bottom for anybody who loves the beauty of brass ensembles. extraordinary really.

• Like 3

I don't mind seeing timings, but I caution folks to not stereotype length of time for any one section as a means of deciding quality, or perhaps a "this is how it should be" kind of thing. In a roughly 12 minute show what if we look at it like this:

• brass - 6 min total not including solos
  • battery percussion - 3 minutes when not featured with brass
  • pit - 3 min when not featured with battery or brass

If we viewed the above as a model it can make sense. Some corps will want to feature battery without brass, and also feature pit without battery and brass. Allowing 3 minutes for pit and battery on their own can help to create a better balance to the arranging and orchestrating -- perhaps to the entire flow of the show. Whatever creates the best musical landscape -- the best total arrangement of melody, counter-melody, rhythm, color, and harmony in a musical sense spread over all the voices -- should be the goal, not a specific time for brass only.

Another way we could view this, if one so wished, is this: It's called DRUM & BUGLE CORPS...

• so why not feature the drums (battery) for 6 minutes on their own
  • then brass for 4 on their own
  • and pit for 2 on their own
  • Why should brass be given some advantage over percussion?

Of course, we know it's not. In reality, the brass and percussion spend a lot of time playing together. They sometimes trade off on things (with pit in the mix), and then they are featured for periods of time. Ultimately, what works best in terms of creating a total show and musical landscape is the goal, not a fixed number.

• what a section plays and how well they play it is more important than how LONG they play.
  • Quality vs. Quantity.

As in the case of Carolina Crown I think we can all agree they have a special brass line and feature them well. That is their strength and it works for them in both design of the show and the construction of their music book. But it's not what I would recommend for all corps. Typically with a corps like Blue Devils or Cadets over the many years, both groups have had many stellar brass lines, drums, pit, solos, and a good mix was extremely important to their designs. As with the Bluecoats this year I think they have found a perfect mix of those elements for their show. And when their brass are playing they are digging into some incredible music.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 5

The activity is about playing and marching. Obviously, if you play and march more you have a LOT more to clean. Not to contradict the previous post but it is important how much and little people play in regards to a judged competition. It would be interesting to see how much the difference is to say corps 10 or 20 years ago in this regard. It might also point to huge glaring issues at why some people percieve a lack of musical thought to some music corps are playing. Sacrificing music quality to visual etc type stuff. The fact the spread is so big is surprising.

The implication in this discussion has historically been that extending the texture or impact of section X somehow equals a better score or substantiates the claim that corps Z is being ripped off while corps Y is skating along without doing any work.

Obviously the problem with such an analysis is that it doesn't account for the presence of a designed, written and performed 'show' or 'program'... and it assumes that the redundant replication of skill is superior to mixed variety (perhaps as a demonstration of some kind of endurance?).

I don't know about you... but when I see a magic show... I want variety. When I see the guy in the silly, flashy outfit saw the lady in half, I assume he can do it again and again. I don't need to see it twice. It's time for contrast, like a close-up trick or an escape... and so the program goes.

Corps X hitting the rips, chords, arpeggios, and chorales for 4 minutes is certainly better than corps Y doing the same for 8 minutes if the SHOW of corps X is more satisfying than corps Y.

Of course... we already know this.

• Like 1

crown's hornline is particularly glorious this year, and they're always glorious.

scv's brass sound is the best i've heard from them in over a decade.

great year pretty much top to bottom for anybody who loves the beauty of brass ensembles. extraordinary really.

Really, really agree. And I'm a drum guy!

• Like 1

10 seconds because I am a people,

Are you related to emc2? (Sorry, but I couldn't resist that comment. Time an NFL team some day and you'd be shocked to learn how little time they are actually playing (whistle to whistle.)