Yamaha YBB-202MSWC - Thumb Ring Issue

TubaPresident

I am having a problem with a Yahama YBB-202MSWC's thumb ring. This is the first time I have ever used this model horn, so I don't know if the thumb ring is supposed to be adjustable or not. But it's screwed in with a bolt that suggests that it is adjustable because when I screw it in all the way, it's in a VERY non-ergonomic position. How am I supposed to adjust the thumb ring?

It has a threaded rod that goes into the horn, and the ring. It has a nut that has ridges for hand tightening between the two. It is likely that the nut is so tight that you will need to use a tool to loosen it.

Unscrew the entire thing from the horn. Then loosen the nut carefully with pliers. If the rod comes out of the ring, when you remove the nut, screw it back into the thumb ring. The rod needs to go into the ring first, and it needs to be tight. BUT don't crush the threads on the rod. So use an old leather belt or work gloves between the pliers and the rod when tightening it to the thumb ring.

Then make sure the nut is on the rod, but not too close to the thumb ring to allow for adjustment of ring orientation. When the ring is in the position you want, and the rod ALMOST all the way in to the horn, tighten the nut down to the horn and it will keep it in place.

Edited by JeffBanyots