Staff merri-go-round

Eh, no not totally off base. The process of the design is designers choice I would think. Not everyone wants it "right" right away. You want to start at a step 1 (of the timeline process) with step 20 (of the timeline process) in mind but not totally figured out yet. There is a natural progression to the design process and edits/changes are a part of that. They have to keep the show engaging over a 3 month span. Now the difficult part is finding the sweet spot. You don't want to lose momentum and peak early with getting it right right away but you don't want to do too many edits either. That'll make it look like the designer is unsure of the show concept–too lost from the original base idea.

It's a lovely artistic but difficult dance that the designer does with the process.

Yes I agree to a point...I can site numerous examples where the other is the case. The 2012 Phantom Regiment with their show "Turandot" got it right right out of the gate IMO...it didn't seem to hurt them at all...and they metaled that year...

I can't even imagine it. As great as the Gaines-era guards were (all hail Bruno and team) they didn't even NEED to be great because they were always in the perfect location to create maximum effect. It was like hey show up with a flag and people would cheer (or just shake their heads because it was just the machine cranking out more effect). I'll stop now -- but i could go on for pages.

Continue. It'd be a nice bedtime story. Lol.

It's nice to see that the Blue Knights are going to continue with staff stability...Their entire design and caption head team will return for 2017 for their 4th season...I predict only greater things soon to come from this fine organization.

• Like 1

Hearing that the Crown staff people are all changing their Facebook profile pics to the Crown logo to indicate solidarity and that they are staying.

Notably: Matt Harloff

Hearing that the Crown staff people are all changing their Facebook profile pics to the Crown logo to indicate solidarity and that they are staying.

I guess that's another way to see who else is leaving...just go down that list...

• Like 2

I know this is very tumultuous and emotional, but to me this is a sign that the activity is very healthy. When you have elite people at elite organizations moving to other organizational to make more money and have more creative control, it means the activity is strong and getting stronger.

The only way that other corps will get better is if the talent gets deeper across the board. Crown is probably the most stable elite organization in the business outside of blue Devils. If they are as deep and as talented culturally as we believe they are, they should be able to bring up new elite designers and creators to fill those roles, and perhaps even improve

Edited by MikeRapp

Well, at least there's one! There's other changes that have happened since but have yet to be announced. That news will hopefully come out soon.

• Like 1

Eh, no not totally off base. The process of the design is designers choice I would think. Not everyone wants it "right" right away. You want to start at a step 1 (of the timeline process) with step 20 (of the timeline process) in mind but not totally figured out yet. There is a natural progression to the design process and edits/changes are a part of that. They have to keep the show engaging over a 3 month span. Now the difficult part is finding the sweet spot. You don't want to lose momentum and peak early with getting it right right away but you don't want to do too many edits either. That'll make it look like the designer is unsure of the show concept–too lost from the original base idea.

It's a lovely artistic but difficult dance that the designer does with the process.

Corps are always doing changes as they receive feedback from judges in the early shows as well. Sometimes Corps even water things down as they find the demand might just be be an overreach once they see the actual talent they have for the summer's competition. Designers write different " boxes "(levels ) of demand in the offseason, but when written in the Fall/Winter its never quite clear what the talent levels of the camps will provide. This is particularly the case with the non elite Corps. So these Corps in particular are most vulnerable to the designers attempts to write a show that is both challenging in its demand levels, as well as executable. Its a fine line, a balancing act, and adjustments need to be made as such for these contingencies as well. The other points here by MChap47 are likewise things that go into the process of the designers work. Right up until Championships, its a " work in progress "... some needing more changes than others, of course.

Edited by BRASSO

I guess that's another way to see who else is leaving...just go down that list...

One-stop shopping....LOL

• Like 1

. Crown is probably the most stable elite organization in the business outside of blue Devils.

There is a correlation between off the field financial stability, resources, and on the field success. Its not iron clad, and there are a few anomalies, but on the whole, there is this correlation. BD is not only far and away the most successful on field Corps in DCI, it is also its most resource rich. SCV, Crown are not far behind. The 990's tell the story ( although, the 990's are couple of years behind). Corps that want to move up in DCI do their best work 2, 3 years before..... by raising the funds required behind the scenes to make that potentially possible.

Edited by BRASSO