Cadets 2017

Maybe our alumni need to put out a small pamplet explaining Cadet traditions, the history of how they started, and why they are still practiced.

Well, Dave, you wrote our libretto in 71, and the great Holy Name History with Greg Cinzio...so go ahead! I'm sure you would do it right, and it would be beautiful!

• Like 1

In the military, we learn about many traditions and those of us who contributed to ensuring these traditions stay current. Many people outside the military may not understand why we do certain things (i.e., wear our covers while outdoors, salute the ensign, man-the-rails while leaving for deployment), because we do not actively put out this information to people who honestly may not have any interest. But if people are interested, we are willing to explain certain things to them as well as provide resources that explains these traditions better than we ever could. My point is, there is really nothing preventing people from understanding certain traditions if they really would like to know why they exist. To be offended because these traditions exist, or to call for the removal of these traditions does a disservice to those who came before us. A lot of traditions are meant to honor those in our past who have paved the way for us to be where we are now. Ignorance is not an excuse to flush a tradition down the toilet. Those who were a part of specific organizations appreciate those traditions and many are willing to educate those on why they exist. In fact, I remember there was some Cadets alumni site that had the entire history of Cadets available for reading.

In other news, I hear Dr. Andrew Shanefield is the new brass arranger for Cadets. I have honestly never heard of him, but I hope he does great things for the Cadets music program next year.

Apparently he wrote for Cavies from 2010-2013...

• Like 2

Unless I'm wrong, Drew never arranged the music for Bluecoats. Doug Thrower has been for a long time. Drew was a program coordinator when with Bloo.

correct - program guy

I stand corrected but your correction shows another great strength: Program coordinator. His experience will be but an added blessing to Cadets current efforts, no?

Well, Dave, you wrote our libretto in 71, and the great Holy Name History with Greg Cinzio...so go ahead! I'm sure you would do it right, and it would be beautiful!

of course, there are some new "traditions" that have been added along the way.

For instance, beginning with the 75th anniversary season, pre-show MMs would tap the buckles of fellow MMs to unleash the powerful spirit of all the MMs who had marched Cadets so many years before.

A super real honor beginning then was for a MM to ask an alum to tap her/his buckle.

Some MMs for years have worn the name(s) of their sponsor(s) (of the day) over the heart taped on the underside of the undershirt. Many of them divide their costs for the entire season by the number of days in Spring Training and Tour and dedicate each day's work and performance to a specific person. [This is common in some other corps as well.]

Perhaps having a recent vet assist Mr. Shaw would give both perspective, legacy, and contemporary understanding again a hallmark set and Cadet trait.

• Like 2

For instance, beginning with the 75th anniversary season, pre-show MMs would tap the buckles of fellow MMs to unleash the powerful spirit of all the MMs who had marched Cadets so many years before.

Uh... that's been going on since well before 2009.

Apparently he wrote for Cavies from 2010-2013...

I think he was the guy who gave the presentation of what the Cavies 2010 show was about in Allentown first show in 2010 at the CCC show. (Cadets, Crown, Cavies). Each corps did their show twice with a small intro by the show designer. He was very good. Cavies were scary awful. Cadets were decent, Crown was off the charts amazing. Best June show Id ever seen. Cavies ended season with silver medal that year and Crown, Cadets 4,5th.
  • Like 2

Nice to hear. It wasn't around when I toured with the corps for many seasons. I became aware of it at 2009 when I was asked to tap the buckles but admitted I wasn't an MM alum.

Nice to hear. It wasn't around when I toured with the corps for many seasons. I became aware of it at 2009 when I was asked to tap the buckles but admitted I wasn't an MM alum.

Yup, we did that in both years I marched (99, 2000). So I think they were doing that before then as well. I could be wrong.

Odd you write this . I saw a video - the corps song at the banquet yes. It was beautiful. And I have a friend who says there is a history night too? What is that ? And an initiation night. And at Allentown I saw the Holy Bass guys. There had to be 20 guys all cheering for the bass line. And I volunteered at Indy and I watched a talk George gave and he showed clips of the corps from 1980 to 2015. The kids went crazy for the Z pull and all kinds of stuff. Seems like the kids love the corps AND the history? When did Hopkins become director ? 1983 I believe. And after 34 years and a bunch of championships, you actually say he does not feel an attachment to the corps? How many kids marched with him as director? He might be a pain in the ### and I wish he would stop shouting for woodwinds but your comments make me sad. I hope there are not too many alumni who think like you. And yes, the Cadets are in danger of becoming relics of an olden age. They held on to that uniform about 10 years too long. I wonder if the reason is he actually does listen to people like you?

You may very well be right. I have no idea how many alumni share my viewpoint, or how many share yours, or how many just don't care. I will tell you one thing for sure though. George doesn't listen to anyone, least of all me. He marches to his own drummer.

I never said that he does not feel an attachment to the corps. I know he does. He's a great teacher, especially with young people in the age range of the current Cadets.

There is a history night during spring camp every year conducted by a fellow alumnus, Scotty McGarry. He does a great job, and as you mentioned, the kids love hearing about and seeing the corps of the past. I have never heard of an initiation night, until you just mentioned it.

From that point on I guess we part ways. You have your viewpoint and I have mine. After 83 years of history and thousands of alumni there are probably more differing viewpoints than we could absorb. FYI, I have never stopped supporting our marching Cadets. I respond to their "Fund-Me" pleas as much as I'm able, and I send boxes of supplies to individual Cadets who request them during their tour. My strong support for our major traditions and our time-honored uniforms has nothing to do with me personally. It's all about the kids...it always has been. I don't want them to be denied the opportunity to enjoy everything that we enjoyed as Cadets, including the adoration of the fans and our fellow competitors; not always because of our performance, but always simply because we were who we were and what we represented.

• Like 6

I think he was the guy who gave the presentation of what the Cavies 2010 show was about in Allentown first show in 2010 at the CCC show. (Cadets, Crown, Cavies). Each corps did their show twice with a small intro by the show designer. He was very good. Cavies were scary awful. Cadets were decent, Crown was off the charts amazing. Best June show Id ever seen. Cavies ended season with silver medal that year and Crown, Cadets 4,5th.

the 3 C's shows. good stuff. for the record i predicted that cavies would be fine that year.

but i didn't predict that crown would never solve the ridiculous environmental challenges they wrote into the show. staging was a bit enthusiastic that year. thing is they mostly pulled it off. but mostly falls well short at the end. still probably my favorite crown pre-show.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1