Carolina Crown 2017

Even the visual design -- it STARTS with the music. This whole theory that the music is somehow a secondary consideration is absurd.

In the majority of show considerations this is true, but did not the Cavies have at least one of their three peat shows start with M. Gianes drill, then the original music added in?

Well, yeah. The whole package is needed. But I think what George is saying is that visual/guard has a larger influence on scoring than music. Guard bleeds into so many captions, most notably GE. The difficulty of a visual program can also impact the performance in a music caption. The staging created by a visual program can also impact the music caption.

I think it's mostly about the direction that shows are going now.

The guard is really doing something entirely different than the marchers, and yet somehow the two have to work together. You're almost staging two separate shows within one show, to tell one cohesive story, and it's very difficult to do.

It was much different when the guard just kind of did their own thing, and did not have the responsibility of conveying all or part of the story of the show. Now the two sides have to work together seamlessly. Very very difficult to do in an 11 minute show we are at times people are marching 200 steps a minute.

In the majority of show considerations this is true, but did not the Cavies have at least one of their three peat shows start with M. Gianes drill, then the original music added in?

That's the way many understand it, although I have heard some suggest the same shows were based on the music first, and others still stating that it was all done at the same time so that nothing was the center focus.

That's the way many understand it, although I have heard some suggest the same shows were based on the music first, and others still stating that it was all done at the same time so that nothing was the center focus.

it's not impossible to do. the soundtrack to a motion picture can be created after the film is complete. but a drum corps program is a product of the music. what corps has their guard work completed before hearing a single note of the music?

two great videos highlight the process

drum corps process - shape the show/music then build the visual, tweak the music, tweak the visual etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VHTMRq3J1E

band world his process seems a little more music first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkNdbFyX4cA

it's not impossible to do. the soundtrack to a motion picture can be created after the film is complete. but a drum corps program is a product of the music. what corps has their guard work completed before hearing a single note of the music?

This is why weighted scoring in GE should be re-evaluated by DCI. Music and performance should, at least, be equally weighted with GE. But it's not. That's absurd.

• Like 1

IDK. The visual emphasis is huge and IMO ridiculous. Since this is a Crown thread, OOTW was a musical masterpiece. The effects from the brass during percussion feature was literally OOTW but "show construction, visual analysis" was subpar according to judges. I just don't agree with the emphasis the judges put on visual. Visual analysis caption is so unpredictable as far as numbers. What is visual analysis? I'm goi h to start a thread.

IDK. The visual emphasis is huge and IMO ridiculous. Since this is a Crown thread, OOTW was a musical masterpiece. The effects from the brass during percussion feature was literally OOTW but "show construction, visual analysis" was subpar according to judges. I just don't agree with the emphasis the judges put on visual. Visual analysis caption is so unpredictable as far as numbers. What is visual analysis? I'm goi h to start a thread.

I really don't think the disconnect is as drastic as some are making it out to be. It's the same thing I've heard every single year on here after finals passes and we get into the offseason.

• Like 1

killing me -- stop

It was just a comment but you many times have hammered the point probably in 2015 re:Cadets with that solid brass/percussion section they had when the corps started sliding towards the end of the season that "it's all about design"... Edited by Tobias